"What brainless idiots allowed this?" - lampposts in the middle of the road in Lamphun

webfact

Sometimes it makes you wonder if those in charge have a kilogram of embarrassment in them when they are responsible for a piss poor job. In my culture/ upbringing you’d be embarrassed....( or is because you do not dare complain in this Thai culture ?)

Lighting poles in most of the developed world must meet standards incl being “frangible” meaning it a car hits one, the occupants survive. No such standards or compliance in LoS. I feel you hit one of the normal concrete along most Thai roads, you will soon be playing a harp in the Wild Blue yonder. However frangibility can have unintended consequences....

17 minutes ago, toenail said:

Sometimes it makes you wonder if those in charge have a kilogram of embarrassment in them when they are responsible for a piss poor job. In my culture/ upbringing you’d be embarrassed....( or is because you do not dare complain in this Thai culture ?)

I've long noticed that very few Thais seem to have pride in their work. Makes for a rather sad and pointless existence, just going through the motions and taking no pleasure in what they do every day.

10 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've long noticed that very few Thais seem to have pride in their work. Makes for a rather sad and pointless existence, just going through the motions and taking no pleasure in what they do every day.

aint  that the  truth, very hard here to find anyone  like  that especially in construction

Do the lights work though or are they kept off to save electricity like lights around my local area. Perfectly working traffic lights on 3intesections i have to pass daily are left to flash and even one of the inrersections are new and theyve blocked it and put up witches hats. There is something very very wrong here....very sad...

1 hour ago, new2here said:

I understand it.  I think it’s driven, in part, by some historical culture/societal “norms” as well as educational practices.

by that I mean, it is my opinion, that “free thinkers” or those that express opposing/individual option or who question (for good intentions and not purely as a disruptive/obstructionist practice) what is or what’s accepted - aren’t widely produced in this country nor are their behaviors cherished.

conformists tend to be what I see in Asia more often.  I don’t mean that a conformist is overtly a bad thing...  but I DO think that in some cases, it good to question “why are we doing this?” versus simply following what was said/given or done in the past.

I would say you summed it up perfectly. There are plenty who see its a bad idea but won't speak up and give an alternative opinion.

To be fair, it seems the poles are not technically in the middle of the road as there is a yellow line marking the edge of the road right where the pole is, with motorcycle parking bays marked to the left of it and room for two way traffic on the right.

But yes, it would have been much better to put them on the sidewalk......

10 hours ago, SkyNets said:

`What brainless idiots drive in the middle of the road`

There are no lanes in Thailand, there is no left or right hand side or for that matter a centre, there is no wrong direction

it's one piece of tarmac/concrete and a free for all !!

20 hours ago, smedly said:

just another example of the many people in autoritative positions without having the education to enable them - how did they get that job

It is a massive problem in Thailand and plays a major part in its lack of ability to address issues like the road carnage, every civil servant in this country (unless elected) should be forced to disclose their academic qualifications and if they don't have the required level of education - remove them

The trouble is, they buy the qualifications, they don't earn them. No one who pays fails anything here. I understand that Civil Servants do need to have degrees.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if my cultures and believe make some one feel bad .... i know can make accident but think different about why not carful more or slow down when you ride ... it very sensitive about believe and national rulers. Sorry if i write English so bad

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 1/3/2019 at 2:07 PM, SkyNets said:

`What brainless idiots drive in the middle of the road`

It's dark, lights not working on post, driver thinks it's ok to overtake on this wide long straight road, unfamiliar with the situation, the driver is to late to dodge the post. Next thing you know.

Bang!

Archived