"Why don't you die?": Australian's fight with a spider sparks police call

webfact

"Why don't you die?": Australian's fight with a spider sparks police call

1200px-Wanneroo_Road_047_S_Tuart_Hill_Lawley.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Wanneroo Road//wikipedia

SYDNEY (Reuters) - An Australian man triggered an emergency police response after a noisy exchange with a spider startled a passerby into reporting what sounded like a violent disturbance to the authorities, media reported.

A neighbour was walking past a house in the west coast city of Perth on Wednesday when they heard a man repeatedly yelling "why don't you die?" and a toddler screaming. The neighbour then called the police emergency number, according to media reports.

"Multiple police units responded (with) lights and sirens," the reports said, quoting from a Twitter post that appeared to have been posted by police in Wanneroo, just to the north of Perth. The post has since been deleted.

The tweet showed what appeared to be a law enforcement communication log that included the initial emergency call, followed by an update 15 minutes later that said "police spoke with all parties who advised that husband had only been trying to kill a spider (has serious fear of spiders)".

The log said the man "apologised for inconvenience to police" and that there were "no injuries sighted (except to spider)" and "no further police involvement required".

The reports did not identify the man, or the type of spider.

An out-of-hours call from Reuters to the Western Australia state police's administration number went unanswered.

Australia has one of the world's highest populations of spiders, compared to people, and biologists have said a southern hemisphere summer heatwave has raised the likelihood of finding arachnids in buildings.

(Reporting by Byron Kaye)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-03

This was a nice, yet slightly incomplete report. Did the spider die and if so, who killed the spider? The man, the wife or the police? 

Another wonder of Australia. While pretty much everything that lives down under is either poisonous, venomous or otherwise tries to kill everybody else - how the koalas managed to survive the evolution without being eaten to extinction?

5 minutes ago, oilinki said:

This was a nice, yet slightly incomplete report. Did the spider die and if so, who killed the spider? The man, the wife or the police? 

Another wonder of Australia. While pretty much everything that lives down under is either poisonous, venomous or otherwise tries to kill everybody else - how the koalas managed to survive the evolution without being eaten to extinction?

Don't worry rampant development will take care of the Koalas.

I completely understand this,when i had my pest control company and did a bee or wasp job,walking away with must dust gun over my shoulder,i used to yell "i sting you bad mf" i got it off the movie Apocalypse now,i would also play ride of the valkyries in my ute on the way to the job.

Wow, a jolt of recognition from that picture!

My last house in Australia was a couple of hundred meters down the hill towards Perth. My former local PO, chemist, lotto agent, etc. are all in that little cluster of shops pictured.  The city is about 6 kms away.

Although the Picture is of Wanneroo Road, the town of Wanneroo itself, where the killer spider and the phobe came to grips, is about 30 kms to the north of there.

Spiders are a fact of life in Australia, I would commonly check for redbacks (like black widows) around the house in dark spaces including under outdoor furniture, and would kill quite a few every year.

27 minutes ago, oilinki said:

The main killers of Koalas are domestic dogs, traffic and chlamydia.  

Generally they are safe high up in their trees, but can be in danger from predation moving from tree to tree.

3 hours ago, oilinki said:

if the Australian tourism board told the truth about the koala bear, tourism would cease.

drop bear.jpg

3 hours ago, oilinki said:

They hid in gum trees and pretended to be wasp's nests. :cheesy:

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

My last house in Australia was a couple of hundred meters down the hill towards Perth. My former local PO, chemist, lotto agent, etc. are all in that little cluster of shops pictured.  The city is about 6 kms away.

Although the Picture is of Wanneroo Road, the town of Wanneroo itself, where the killer spider and the phobe came to grips, is about 30 kms to the north of there.

Spiders are a fact of life in Australia, I would commonly check for redbacks (like black widows) around the house in dark spaces including under outdoor furniture, and would kill quite a few every year.

and was taught from birth to always lift up the dunny seat in the outhouse to check for red backs.  :cheesy::cheesy:

The Koala's are always high on the only legal drug that has been openly grown in Australia since the beginning of time, the good old Eucalyptus Oil straight from the leaves. Just think if the Eucalyptus oil was as affective with humans as it is with the Koala's then think of the money that could have been made from it instead of the stupid other illegal drugs like coke, ice and met.  

Slim Dusty was one of the greatest Australia country singer, song writers and if you want to know about the redback spider then search out the song by Slim called "Redback On The Toilet Seat" 

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I also come from that area and can tell you I would much rather camp out on the ground in Australia than in Thailand.

This is an Australian spider.  Huntsman Spider biggest in Australia,  if it was something like this and he was suffering from arachnophobia I can understand he was scared. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMqqpfdEqKR3a3W25f0Wd

giant-spider.jpg

14 hours ago, oilinki said:

After meeting a family of Aussies in Fiji who had their holiday ruined by food poisoning from eating at the Brisbane airport departure area I find this to be a quite legitimate question.

On 1/3/2019 at 6:02 AM, balo said:

This is an Australian spider.  Huntsman Spider biggest in Australia,  if it was something like this and he was suffering from arachnophobia I can understand he was scared. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMqqpfdEqKR3a3W25f0Wd

giant-spider.jpg

If I had to live in Australia, with those around, I would build a multi barrel shotgun. 

On 1/3/2019 at 10:28 AM, oilinki said:

Why don't you try sprinkling eucalyptus oil on your steak? That could give you a clue.

Archived