Thailand is "World Champion in motorcycle deaths" - bad brakes to blame

webfact

5 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I live on Phuket, so not so easy.  Ordering online should be a great solution, but how to ensure that the helmet fits?

I had enormous difficulty finding a helmet that actually fitted (turns out that I have a small head, even by Thai standards!).

Measure your head the noggin from nosetip around, "general" guideline for sizing is "S(57-58CM) M(59-60CM) L(60-61CM)" etcetera. Get the measure, then go somewhere local to test if the measurement fits, then order equivalent online. Most places still have a return or change policy, if you're not looking for the most cheap solution out there.

EDIT: for those critisizing my nosetip method: there's always 1-2cm "sliding flaws" so the extra cm from nose will minimize the issue there, lol, used for a few helmets ordered online from China. Works a charm ;D

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Artisi said:

.....or does brake failure mean something else. 

That would be the disconnect between the drivers seat and the car/motorcycle controls, whatever is sitting there must lack cognitive skills, and have an IQ below 70.

Seems like the universal response is that the brakes don't work because of the operators inability to drive well. Since none of the drivers think it could ever happen to them because of their superhuman reactions and driving skills it must be the system that does not enforce laws regarding the driving? These fools on bikes are putting the rest of us at risk as well.

1 hour ago, chado said:

Why not??? Some -- will.

If the idiots drive too fast or without any road safety considerations, then ABS won't help..........this esp when the action of ABS brakes needs to be understood ie, how they work, to be utilised correctly.

In not one of the accidents I have seen here, or read about, would ABS have helped.

After driving around on a motorbike and now in a car around thailand I can honestly say that the root of most Thai accidents have nothing to do with abs or lack there of.  

It is simple.  The lack of good driving skills, training, licensing.  I have seen more people riding bikes who don't understand the basic mechanics of how a motorbike works.  They use the rear brake only.  They go the wrong direction of traffic.  And just in general think the rules don't pertain to them.

The same goes with those driving cars.  They don't have a clue about what the rules of the road are.  They don't pay attention to the markings on the road and could care less about any of the fellow  drivers.  

Until they make steep fines and impound  the bike or car for failure of even possessing a driving license nothing is going to change.

If they would put as much effort into policing the simplest of road rules for all rather then parade around and act like they do something (DL checking farang only) that would be a huge start to cleaning up the accident problem.

23 hours ago, chama said:

Seems like the universal response is that the brakes don't work because of the operators inability to drive well. Since none of the drivers think it could ever happen to them because of their superhuman reactions and driving skills it must be the system that does not enforce laws regarding the driving? These fools on bikes are putting the rest of us at risk as well.

"Hard heads" don't need superhuman reactions and driving skills.

On 1/3/2019 at 3:26 PM, overherebc said:

Is there a bike manfacturer that produces a front/rear brake balance system. I seem to remember them on Moto Guzzi a few years back. Splits the pressure front to back with a valve/regulator system eg 70/30, 60/40, 50/50 or whatever.

Found one for cars but not for bikes.

p142675_image_large (1).jpg

My bike has that, it works but if you brake hard the rear wheel will block.

We all know the problem is the Thai drivers...not the brakes.

9 hours ago, Artisi said:

With many ABS equipped... 

Maybe you didn't see the sarcasm there in my post ???? Tho regarding anti brake-locking systems in cars either, I'd say not many of the lower end, even newer cars, sold in Thailand seem to have them as default, which boggles the mind ????

3 kids in our village died over the Xmas/New Year period.

Did any of them have licenses? No.

Did any of them take lessons? Mum showed them where the brakes are.

Did any of them wear crash-hats? No.

Makes you wonder why the kids had to die in order for the government and population to learn absolutely nothing from it.

Nothing will change in Thailand unless people learn how to learn, and they've been prevented from doing that for decades so a few people can have a nice wet-dream. Anywhere else, people would getting fired, but not here, nonono.

On 1/7/2019 at 2:55 AM, jabis said:

Maybe you didn't see the sarcasm there in my post ???? Tho regarding anti brake-locking systems in cars either, I'd say not many of the lower end, even newer cars, sold in Thailand seem to have them as default, which boggles the mind ????

How about airbags and emission control features such as catalytic converters et al. I'd bet that even if their vehicles had ABS they would not use it correctly.

Archived