Thailand is "World Champion in motorcycle deaths" - bad brakes to blame

webfact

2 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Bad brakes?  Hardly. More like Bad, Reckless Drivers.

Bad reckless drivers who drive too fast, weave in and out of lanes, drive the wrong way down busy roads, are oblivious to what's happening around them, wear no or little protective clothing, think traffic lights are optional, cut across fast moving vehicles, overload the bikes with passengers, often have no license, think they are born with the knowledge and ability to ride a bike and have no idea how to operate the bike controls safely such as emergency braking.

Seeing as nothing is ever maintained properly until it brakes (pun intended) the brakes probably don't work or are likely to fail anyway.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG... how more stupid can these people get? Their heads are so far up their own butts they will soon reappear from their own mouths!!!

Driver aids - ABS, traction control, stability systems etc. etc. are just that - aids. They help the driver/rider by aiding them in treacherous conditions. It is NOT the solution for stupidity i.e. not wearing seat belts/helmets, running red lights, speeding etc. etc. In short, it will not help you if you drove straight into a tree (i.e. stupidity).

Bad brakes... geez.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai media has laid the blame for much of Thailand's appalling motorcycle rider death toll at the door of bad brakes. 

If all bikes had ABS systems thousands less could die every year, they reported. 

was this written by a 7 year old

shocking

I have borrowed a few bikes in the village and refused to ride them as they had no brakes !  Pads and rear shoes completely worn out, metal on metal. Then they tell me they cant afford to buy new ones, plus labour and fluid change. They never ever change the oil as it too is expensive for them.  Maintenance is not a Thai thing.  Look at trucks, buses, cars, houses, roads, and boats.

I jotted down what first crossed my mind after I had read that report:

Bad brakes

Bad road awareness

Lack of attention

Lack of training

Lack of lane discipline

Belief that nothing bad will come of entering a junction/other road without looking, signalling, stopping

Reading a phone while in control of the bike

Overcrowding: failure to enforce occupancy laws

Bad policing

Failure to enforce traffic laws

Failure to enforce 100% helmets laws

Lack of control of unlicensed users

I am sure others have/can add to this list quite easily

Other than the obvious, like as everyone has said it's the riders at fault, not the machines just how long would it take to filter all of these superbly safe bikes onto the roads? 10 years? It is always entertaining how an expert offers a solution that is totally impracticable that will be an instant solution to all their woes when they have always had the solution at hand, training, licencing and policing. But no, as usual, it's the brakes!!!

hmmm  

Bad or no brakes is actually a problem I will agree with them on that.  ABS will not solve the problem it will just delay the bald patches in their rotors.

The problems are 

1.  no helmet

2. god will look after me

3. license what license

4. 13yearolds with 4 of their friends on bikes  trying to show off

5 both Thai and farang drivers driving too fact for either the traffic or the conditions of the road.

6 Thais and their love of whiskey and beer.

7 Here is where I agree with the paper.  Thais and their feeling that maintenance just means washing their bike to make it look pretty for the girls.

Solution

1. take away bikes if the driver and passengers are not wearing helmets

2. make license testing and training mandatory and in that include wet road driving.

3.  raise the max age to drive a bike to 16 and restrict the number of riders to 2 including the driver.

4. start policing the roads and taking away bikes.

5. no tolerance policy for people that blow over the limit or have an accident and are found to be under the influence of either drugs or alcohol. NO tolerance is they lose the bike. PERIOD

6 all bikes have to have a maintenance certificate from an authorized mechanic in order to get their license renewed.

7. install ABS brakes on all bikes for one year and monitor the number of bikes sold and the number of accidents.

6 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Other countries have vast numbers of motorbikes with the same brakes that Honda et al supply. They do not die in their thousands. It is the useless drivers with no self control that use the deaths. 

It's about the hi-so's in control  that will not blame the masses of LOS........ Crazy stuff that others outside of LOS see as crazy stuff...????

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is "World Champion in motorcycle deaths" - bad brakes to blame

:clap2:  They should take a cue from the CM governor's office and blame tourists, rain, and of course, bad brakes.  Motorcycle drivers, like the one's who pull out from the left-hand sois without looking or yielding right-of-way - they are blameless!  :dry:

And after that, when all brake changes to ABS are through and the number of accidents/deaths is still the same, or higher (less is not an option, is it) another nuthead will come up with "bad tires, the manufacturers should change to good quality tires for Thailand".

OMG always someone else's fault...

1 minute ago, David in the north said:

Absolute rubbish.
Nothing to do with the brakes - all to do with irresponsible & reckless riding + in many cases, a total lack of maintenance

Perhaps more like brain cells....?  ????

Is there a bike manfacturer that produces a front/rear brake balance system. I seem to remember them on Moto Guzzi a few years back. Splits the pressure front to back with a valve/regulator system eg 70/30, 60/40, 50/50 or whatever.

Found one for cars but not for bikes.

p142675_image_large (1).jpg

Archived