Thailand is "World Champion in motorcycle deaths" - bad brakes to blame

webfact

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Is there a bike manufacturer that produces a front/rear brake balance system. I seem to remember them on Moto Guzzi a few years back. Splits the pressure front to back with a valve/regulator system eg 70/30, 60/40, 50/50 or whatever.

Fink blokes way back when used their head to fool with stuff... ????

1 minute ago, Cereal said:

"It's not my fault, I'm a victim of circumstance." said any Thai anytime there's any issue where any amount of blame may fall upon his or her shoulders.

almost as good as an excuse like what i got when some local made me crash by turning in my front wheel in turning without an indicator (or a helmet, or license) on a major highway

"your fault, if you not here no accident, you pay."

4 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Bad brakes?  Hardly. More like Bad, Reckless Drivers.

I drove on two 1500cc Harley's more than 200.000 km from Chiang Mai, to Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Singapoore. All my friends called me crazy for risking my life. The only two minor accidents I had was caused by a 19 year old Bangkokian girl running over a red light and an idiot who never drove an automatic gear car before in Bangkok. Ironically the cops charged me twice here for only having an international and not a Thai driving license...

Good. Some motorcycle recently scratched my new S-class while I was stuck in traffic jam trying to squeeze through tiny spaces between cars and of course he ran off. I hope he is among this "world champion".

Th problem with ABS is it put the price of the bike and that's not good, I enquired of the garage if they could take indicators and lights off the bike how much the price could come down, I could also save more money by not buying a crash helmet!

Oh yes, let's find something else to blame rather than your own stupidity..... It's simple, if it rains go easy on the brakes especially the front one..... It's called cadence braking, exactly what an ABS system does, on and off pressure to the brakes to avoid anti lock......... But you'd have to have a brain to do that if you don't have ABS........ Only in La la land........

4 hours ago, webfact said:

They said that the antilock braking system would help riders even on slippery roads. Much of the problem was not bad riding but the brakes, they claimed.

Widely misheld fallacy this one .. ABS can help maintain stability and prevent wheel-locking in wet condition but it is not a magic cure for idiotic riding and quite often those driving cars , riding bikes equipped with ABS believe that it gives them a cloak of invincibility to then take even more risks which ABS cannot compensate for leading to the inevitable .. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

They said that a million new bikes were hitting the roads each year but few had decent brakes.

Sorry stop blaming the machine .. It is incumbent upon who ever is riding the bike to ensure the brakes along with tyres , lights , suspension etc are in good working order .. If as the report states there are millions of bikes without decent brakes then that is the responsibility of the rider to get them sorted rather than tear off down the road with a braking system that is not up to the job .. ABS systems add considerable complexity to an otherwise fairly simple hydraulic set up that the vast majority of bikes are fitted with but that does not exclude them from periodic maintenance which if not carried out can lead the rider into an even greater false sense of security particularly when a fault arises within the system ( usually notified by the ABS warning light remaining illuminated ) .. 

Rather than look at ABS as some  sort of hopeful panacea that will make up for dodgy brakes and lack of rider skill and foresight there should be a far more thorough safety inspection ala the UK's MOT scheme which visually inspects the physical condition of a bikes braking system and also test's them dynamically for operation under movement and brake power efficiency ..

Mentioned this before on the subject of vehicle brakes but I'll trot it out again to underline the point .. 

My bird has gotta Honda Jazz that the ABS light is permanently illuminated on .. When pointed out that the light is indicating a fault within the brake system her response is to put a furry toy in the instrument binnacle to hid the light and double up in the lucky charms hanging from the rear view mirror .. And pray a bit longer in the mornings .. 

What dos the brakes have to do with a m.bike that go's 100 or more km?

The problem is that they just go to fast for small bikes.

who's getting all these exidents ? you see them driving tru Bangkok in traffic and on the highway??  what a bike are doing there??? 

19 minutes ago, gerritkaew said:

What dos the brakes have to do with a m.bike that go's 100 or more km?

The problem is that they just go to fast for small bikes.

who's getting all these exidents ? you see them driving tru Bangkok in traffic and on the highway??  what a bike are doing there??? 

speed isnt  the  issue.........looking where youre  going is.

6 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Shame on you Thailand.

Trying to pin the blame on the bike.

Truly a bunch of children.

Braking News.

The Big boy did it, and runaway. 

baby cry.jpg

Alcohol has no effect on a driver that has a motorcycle with ABS brakes. OK, I got it now!

Anybody can ride a Motorcycle, or drive a car at speed, and I mean anybody.

The really clever bit is being able to apply the brakes safely in time to prevent an accident.

The second part of this is something the Thais either fail to grasp, or are incapable of understanding, and having ABS on a Motorcycle will only say to most of them " its OK, you can go even faster, the ABS will save you", such is the mind set here.

abs on scooters doesnt seem to help. i have abs on a big bike and had it on a couple scooters in the past. I feel safer locking it up and fishing it to slow with engine breaking but good luck on a cvt but still its better.

That said.... what a load of crap! Its idiot riders and idiot drivers involved in accidents with em.

Are Thais so stupid? How many farang out and about today saw some bike or scooter entering other lanes today and not looking and that type of thing. A day hasnt gone by in the decades ive been here where this hasnt happened. Why cant thais see this as an issue and rectify. They really cant figure stuff out ha?

Archived