New Hosting Read more... ×
BANGKOK 20 January 2019 23:49
Brunolem

Finding your way with a GPS app

4 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Unfortunately yes...it is that or Apple, which I hate even more than Google.

While I think that the Apple system is better than Android, I can't stand the fad associated with Apple...and the ridiculous prices associated with the fad...

couldn't agree more..... am in the same boat

On 1/4/2019 at 7:42 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Not in my Honda Jazz it hasn’t !!

Going slightly off topic.
Actually the biggest problem I have with using the phone is finding a suitable phone mount when using the gps app !
The suction cup mounts are very versatile but the windscreen is a long way away and in the direct sunshine the suction fails. The dash on my Honda is “ bubbly “ and suction cups don’t stick.
Tried the magnet and air vent version but either have to turn the air off to that particular vent or freeze my phone .
Currently using this but in reverse due to the hondas steep dash !!

IMG_0745.JPG

This works for me, changed from car to car many times and held up for three years, I then ordered a new one. https://www.lazada.co.th/products/aukey-magnetic-tech-i8126686-s10204679.html

Fits into the A/C vent, but I can stand that, also obviated the problem I had with an earlier phone which tended to overheat. The magnet doesn't affect the phone at all.

This works for me, changed from car to car many times and held up for three years, I then ordered a new one. https://www.lazada.co.th/products/aukey-magnetic-tech-i8126686-s10204679.html
Fits into the A/C vent, but I can stand that, also obviated the problem I had with an earlier phone which tended to overheat. The magnet doesn't affect the phone at all.

Yes , I have this one:

IMG_0747.JPG

Bought at Robinsons for 150 baht, has a strong grip to it and only fell off a couple of times on a rental car and once on my own car I think some of the vent blades are tapered more than others plus my phone is quite big and heavy ( iPhone 7 Plus).

I’ve just bought an iPhone XS Max which I think is a little heavier so I’m looking at alternatives.

I might try this one, an ideal position, right in front of your eyeline, only question is if it suits my dash ?

IMG_0748.JPG

8 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes , I have this one:

IMG_0747.JPG

Bought at Robinsons for 150 baht, has a strong grip to it and only fell off a couple of times on a rental car and once on my own car I think some of the vent blades are tapered more than others plus my phone is quite big and heavy ( iPhone 7 Plus).

I’ve just bought an iPhone XS Max which I think is a little heavier so I’m looking at alternatives.

I might try this one, an ideal position, right in front of your eyeline, only question is if it suits my dash ?

IMG_0748.JPG

Horizontally? I would hate that.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes , I have this one:

IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG

My Ladyboy gf says I should use one like the top pic... do you find it comfortable ? 

(Asking for a friend)

Horizontally? I would hate that.

Actually with the xs max horizontally is okay.

On 1/4/2019 at 7:33 AM, Brunolem said:

There are few things that I hate in this world, yet Google is one of them!

As much as possible I try to use alternatives...

How does your Android phone work?

On 1/4/2019 at 7:42 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Not in my Honda Jazz it hasn’t !!

Going slightly off topic.
Actually the biggest problem I have with using the phone is finding a suitable phone mount when using the gps app !
The suction cup mounts are very versatile but the windscreen is a long way away and in the direct sunshine the suction fails. The dash on my Honda is “ bubbly “ and suction cups don’t stick.
Tried the magnet and air vent version but either have to turn the air off to that particular vent or freeze my phone .
Currently using this but in reverse due to the hondas steep dash !!

IMG_0745.JPG

Got one like this at Mr DIY........Bht28. Works fine.

On 1/4/2019 at 7:37 AM, hkt83100 said:

HERE WeGo (former Nokia Maps)

MapFactor

MAPS.ME

to name a few. I prefer HERE, because it works offline. Just download the maps for free and you are good to go in many countries,

SYGIC also works offline, but all the maps are stored in your phone eating up memory.

On 1/4/2019 at 8:03 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Another good aspect of Google maps is it also gives the route for motorcycle, but only for Android I believe .

Is that not the same as for pedestrians ie drive on the pavement. 

Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I have Nostra Map on my iPhone. downloaded from app store.

Edited by phetphet