Dog Disappeared for Four Days.

On Mon night New Years Eve, there were lots of noisy fireworks, on Tues morning we found the dog had disappeared.

The house is surrounded by fencing and always locked up at night, She is about seven years old, a Heinz 57 varieties, and dressed.

She returned today after four days away, not distressed or anything, no signs of any fighting, she could not have went far as there are lots of dogs always around.

I cannot figure where she could have spent these four days. Anyone experienced anything like this before?

43 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Some dogs freak out. My GF's dog was remarkably unfussed by the whole event. Yours probably found a bolthole under a neighbor's house, and got fed out of sympathy.

It would not have been a neighbours house, we only have two neighbours and they know our dog, but yes, maybe she stayed near some house farther away and got fed, but that doesn't explain why she took four days to return home.

Sadly, a lot of terrified dogs just RUN on NYE, and some never find their way home ☹️.

I expect she ran a long way, and it took her 4 days to find her way home?

Many years ago one of my dogs was so terrified that she managed to squeeze through the patio door grille that I'd pulled across to block the entrance - and ran a couple of km.  Fortunately, she was immediately found by the staff at a 'Lucky 13' restaurant on the main road and, as she was wearing a tag with her name and 'phone no., they 'phoned me immediately to let me know where she was ????.

Another of my dogs disappeared for 3 days for no reason - i.e. no fireworks or thunder around, and she's not frightened by them anyway.  On the 4th morning I woke up to find her waiting to be let in at the patio doors!

My best guess as to why she went missing is that as she is a lovely, friendly dog who used to wander up happily to everyone who parked by my house (as it is an entry point to the beach) and someone decided to take her home with them.  Only partly joking, I suspect they were shocked at how much she eats (!) so let her go or - she managed to escape and find her way back home.

The reason why I think she may have been taken (quite apart from the obvious, that she is a spayed female so doesn't wander far), is that she's far less inclined to approach strangers now.

On Mon night New Years Eve, there were lots of noisy fireworks, on Tues morning we found the dog had disappeared.
The house is surrounded by fencing and always locked up at night, She is about seven years old, a Heinz 57 varieties, and dressed.

She returned today after four days away, not distressed or anything, no signs of any fighting, she could not have went far as there are lots of dogs always around.
I cannot figure where she could have spent these four days. Anyone experienced anything like this before?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Due to all the stress of the fireworks the dog probably lost its bearings momentarily. Fireworks, music, drunks most probably continued the next day or two adding to the stress. Finally, when the dog had the opportunity to be calm again it probably took a few days to figure out how to get home. I think it is something like 15 kms a dog can find its home just from familiar scents alone (its own tracks if the wind didn't kill them, other familiar dogs or scents in the area, etc). So the same way mobile phones find coverage from the towers. 

You hear the odd stories of dogs going months and many more kms and then finding their way home, but they are the minority. From memory, the majority get lost after the 15-20km mark. 

9 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Due to all the stress of the fireworks the dog probably lost its bearings momentarily. Fireworks, music, drunks most probably continued the next day or two adding to the stress. Finally, when the dog had the opportunity to be calm again it probably took a few days to figure out how to get home. I think it is something like 15 kms a dog can find its home just from familiar scents alone (its own tracks if the wind didn't kill them, other familiar dogs or scents in the area, etc). So the same way mobile phones find coverage from the towers. 

You hear the odd stories of dogs going months and many more kms and then finding their way home, but they are the minority. From memory, the majority get lost after the 15-20km mark. 

Yes, I think that is probably what has happened. Thanks for your'e insight.

15 hours ago, possum1931 said:

The bro-in-law's useless mutt does the same disappearing act whenever the fireworks come out. One of these days, I'll remember to close the gate after he's disappeared.

I'll try it with his dog first though.

Archived