No-deal EU exit 'far more likely' if parliament rejects May's deal - minister

snoop1130

No-deal EU exit 'far more likely' if parliament rejects May's deal - minister

dfgsd.JPG

FILE PHOTO - Britain's Secretary of State for Exiting the EU Stephen Barclay leaves Downing Street in London, Britain, November 28, 2018. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain is more likely to end up leaving the European Union without a deal if parliament rejects the agreement Prime Minister Theresa May has negotiated with Brussels, Brexit minister Stephen Barclay said on Thursday.

With less than three months until Brexit lawmakers will make a pivotal decision later this month: accept May’s plans for a managed exit and relatively close economic ties, or reject the deal and spawn huge uncertainty about the country’s next steps.

“No deal will be far more likely if MPs (Members of Parliament) reject the government’s Brexit deal later this month,” Barclay wrote in the Daily Express newspaper, arguing that May’s plan was the only “workable deal” available.

May is seeking extra reassurances from Brussels to help persuade sceptical lawmakers within her own party, and the small Northern Irish party that props up her minority government, to back her plan. The vote is due in the week beginning Jan. 14.

Barclay, whose primary remit is to make sure Britain is ready in case a deal cannot be reached, said that next week the government would step up its campaign to make sure citizens are prepared for such an outcome.

“On Tuesday we will start a new phase in our public information campaign, using radio and social media to further raise awareness about the need to prepare,” he wrote.

Sterling continued to fall against the U.S. Dollar, driven in part by growing concerns over the course of the Brexit process.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-1-3

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Barclay, whose primary remit is to make sure Britain is ready in case a deal cannot be reached, said that next week the government would step up its campaign to make sure citizens are prepared for such an outcome.

'You're on your own.'

This is what it is. How we get here is a question people will ask later on.

April fools day headlines on basically every UK newspaper.

"UK IS GOING TO REJOIN EU TODAY !!"

May's deal is a dogs breakfast. There'll be NO (E)U turn & 29 March has been settled in law therefore cannot simply be moved at the drop of a hat. If they tamper with it too often the country will erupt as is happening in France, Belgium & elsewhere.

The UK never really was fully committed to be an EU member. As such it is probably better if it just leaves without any deal. See how alignment with Trump's USA works or maybe enjoy a splendid isolation.

But for now, PLEASE LEAVE. Put up with the consequences of the Brexit the UK voted for and have a nice journey jumping off the cliff.

The indecisiveness of the UK is pathetic. For the moment, the EU is better off without the UK, although I hope that in the future the UK will decide to rejoin again but with a proper sense of commitment..

4 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Brexit will be abandoned 

May's deal is dead

A no deal Brexit will be killed by parliament.

The game is up.

May's deal is fair one and it's the only one negotiated between EU and UK. 

The only option is for UK to cancel brexit altogether. I don't see that happening as it would be a major lose of face for the UK. 

Too proud to bend, break it must.

18 minutes ago, Grouse said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-uk-military-bases-caribbean-far-east-eu-global-player-a8703816.html

Meanwhile we now are to become a global power ????????????

We can't even take care of our own population! This idiot should be fired!

Brexitters best friend, Russia, has already made fun of UK's global power aims ????

Now even the Russians are laughing out loud.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-uk-military-bases-caribbean-far-east-eu-global-player-a8703816.html

Meanwhile we now are to become a global power [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Where did it say a grobal power? I only read a global player.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Meanwhile we now are to become a global power ????????????

why do you have sods like that in the UK cabinet?

is foggy island completely out of control?

or is this the  normal way of running UK,

this defence character and  bojo and dodgy davies and rees-mogg etc etc??

jeeeeez, you guys have problems - far deeper than brexit/eu

I personally cant wait for us to take back our borders and make our own laws it will be so great life changing for the rich whilst the rest of us suck up a worthless pound and zero hour contacts all the leave campaign leaders should be rounded up and shot in the street for treason Boris first????

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

May's deal is a dogs breakfast. There'll be NO (E)U turn & 29 March has been settled in law therefore cannot simply be moved at the drop of a hat. If they tamper with it too often the country will erupt as is happening in France, Belgium & elsewhere.

UK erupts really ,  complacency is now the norm in,  ex Great Britain.  

Where laziness is regarded as a disability. EU, we beg forgiveness, mon ami, entente cordiale, kiss.

, mon ami. 

31 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

is foggy island completely out of control?

or is this the  normal way of running UK,

this defence character and  bojo and dodgy davies and rees-mogg etc etc??

The 'defence character' was merely answering a question & the other 3 aren't in the cabinet.

HTH

Will Ireland unite? 

Interesting to hear voices from Northern Ireland, what they are thinking about no-deal brexit and what it might bring forward.

13 minutes ago, elliss said:

UK erupts really ,  complacency is now the norm in,  ex Great Britain.  

Where laziness is regarded as a disability. EU, we beg forgiveness, mon ami, entente cordiale, kiss.

, mon ami. 

Unable to respond as i'm unable to decipher the question.

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

The 'defence character' was merely answering a question & the other 3 aren't in the cabinet.

HTH

no, he was not

he was giving a speech re UK, and a terrible terrible one, and reading out of a script

yes, I know  that the others  are not in cab, bojo was though,

that says volumes about how UK is run, volumes

my  guess is that UK is in pretty deep <deleted>, come brexit or not

38 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Will Ireland unite? 

Interesting to hear voices from Northern Ireland, what they are thinking about no-deal brexit and what it might bring forward.

You didn't; I haven't been able to look it up properly but that appears to be an RTE clip featuring RoI panelists with perhaps one SF MP from the north

(ie not remotely interested in anything to do with the Crown).

And lets not forget Stormont hasn't sat for 2 years.

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

Brexit will be abandoned 

May's deal is dead

A no deal Brexit will be killed by parliament.

The game is up.

Job well done.  She's a hero in the mould of Maggie.

OK, a different mould, but a hero nonetheless.

She's given us an Italian Job way out, instead of a Quadrophenia exit

12 hours ago, oilinki said:

The only option is for UK to cancel brexit altogether. I don't see that happening as it would be a major lose of face for the UK. 

What is it you don't understand? All powers go to the EU in next few years, the UK will become a federal state of Europe if we don't leave.  Explain to me what is fair about May's deal!!

25 minutes ago, leither69 said:

What is it you don't understand? All powers go to the EU in next few years, the UK will become a federal state of Europe if we don't leave.  Explain to me what is fair about May's deal!!

That couple of year period is transformation / adaptation period. Naturally UK no longer have a say of the EU's future, which it will be leaving. How else it could be?

Meanwhile UK is able to start negotiation deals around the world. Deals which it will need once the transformtion period is over. UK has enough time to hire and train thousands of people to it borders to take care of customs etc duties. UK has time to hire and train tens of thousands bureaucrats, who will take over the duties, which EU did earlier. 

Of course UK is going to leave. Neither EU nor UK wish UK to be in constant half in - half out state. 

This deal simply makes UK's leaving the EU so much more easier and softer for the UK and specially for the people of UK. 

13 hours ago, oilinki said:

Wrong. The only options are May's deal or no deal. Remain already eliminated by the referendum result.

3 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Wrong. The only options are May's deal or no deal. Remain already eliminated by the referendum result.

As far as I'm aware, although you may know differently, the UK is still a parliamentary democracy. So a vote for a second referendum is certainly an option.

12 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

As far as I'm aware, although you may know differently, the UK is still a parliamentary democracy. So a vote for a second referendum is certainly an option.

After the first has been fully implemented!

The UK has a dream of being "an Island" to itself again, & in doing so has dug a hole deeper than

expected.

The world has moved on & I think they may find that as when they where a "Superpower"

so much has changed & without much acceptance of this they will find themselves isolated to 

a large degree.

I forecast sterling to remain at today"s rates against the Baht for 5 years minimum

16 hours ago, evadgib said:

The 29th of March isn't hard to change at all. Simply withdraw Article 50. 

There is no way the UK would erupt as the French and to a less extent the Belgians have.

26 minutes ago, natway09 said:

The UK has a dream of being "an Island" to itself again, & in doing so has dug a hole deeper than

expected.

The world has moved on & I think they may find that as when they where a "Superpower"

so much has changed & without much acceptance of this they will find themselves isolated to 

a large degree.

I forecast sterling to remain at today"s rates against the Baht for 5 years minimum

You little optimist!

I predict Sterling to fall against the Baht during this year probably ending up around 35-40 range. 

Archived