BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snoop1130

No-deal EU exit 'far more likely' if parliament rejects May's deal - minister

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

As far as I'm aware, although you may know differently, the UK is still a parliamentary democracy. So a vote for a second referendum is certainly an option.

You are indeed correct.

It's just the Brexiters trying to pretend the referendum that was narrowly won by them was a once in a lifetime, never to be challenged, can't be changed, etc etc.

They'd sooner drive over a cliff than break when they see the edge!

16 hours ago, whatsupdoc said:

The UK never really was fully committed to be an EU member. As such it is probably better if it just leaves without any deal. See how alignment with Trump's USA works or maybe enjoy a splendid isolation.

But for now, PLEASE LEAVE. Put up with the consequences of the Brexit the UK voted for and have a nice journey jumping off the cliff.

The indecisiveness of the UK is pathetic. For the moment, the EU is better off without the UK, although I hope that in the future the UK will decide to rejoin again but with a proper sense of commitment..

Rubbish. The UK was a fully committed member and big net contributor to the EU.

It wasn't the only member state that didn't join the Euro folly, Shengen or advocate "ever closer union".

And it was one of the countries, like Germany, that genuinely tried to implement and abide by all the rules.

16 hours ago, Grouse said:

Brexit will be abandoned 

May's deal is dead

A no deal Brexit will be killed by parliament.

The game is up.

Hope you're right Grousy!

If so I'll unload the Shotgun - 555!

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

You are indeed correct.

It's just the Brexiters trying to pretend the referendum that was narrowly won by them was a once in a lifetime, never to be challenged, can't be changed, etc etc.

They'd sooner drive over a cliff than break when they see the edge!

Actually it was Cameron and his govt. that said something along these lines, i.e.  "a once in a lifetime" vote (not leavers) prior to the referendum....

Not even leavers are arguing that it is a "never to be challenged, can't be changed, etc etc." result - just that the referendum result needs to be enacted first, and then (of course) remainers are free to form a party (as per UKIP) that supports returning to the eu.

15 hours ago, oilinki said:

Brexitters best friend, Russia, has already made fun of UK's global power aims 🙂

Now even the Russians are laughing out loud.

We've got Nukes  - you ain't. Next time Russia decided it wants to annex you, don't count on our help.

I think the big dilemma in all of this, is that many of the Labour, and some Tory, MPs are in seats where there was a big leave vote. If Brexit is scuppered they could easily be deselected for the next election.

As far as I'm aware, the default position is that we will leave in 80 days or so time, unless parliament vote, and adopt May's proposal (or another as yet no details, an improved deal??!!). The other option is for parliament to vote for a second referendum on the matter. I am not sure if this has to take place before the UK leaves or not.

5 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Actually it was Cameron and his govt. that said something along these lines, i.e.  "a once in a lifetime" vote (not leavers) prior to the referendum....

Not even leavers are arguing that it is a "never to be challenged, can't be changed, etc etc." result - just that the referendum result needs to be enacted first, and then (of course) remainers are free to form a party (as per UKIP) that supports returning to the eu.

Wow - Cameron now a poster on TVF! Who'd have though Dave would do that.

Not sure which one he is as several keep posting as if the decision can't ever be changed!

And all it takes is the spineless May and her government to withdraw Article 50 and then give MP's a free vote in our representative democracy. A GE can then be fought with all parties declaring their stand on the EU - leave or stay.

Dave and May tried to mess with the system and use it for their own ends. Shouldn't have.

6 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I think the big dilemma in all of this, is that many of the Labour, and some Tory, MPs are in seats where there was a big leave vote. If Brexit is scuppered they could easily be deselected for the next election.

As far as I'm aware, the default position is that we will leave in 80 days or so time, unless parliament vote, and adopt May's proposal (or another as yet no details, an improved deal??!!). The other option is for parliament to vote for a second referendum on the matter. I am not sure if this has to take place before the UK leaves or not.

If they act quickly, Article 50 can be withdrawn. That would give time for a full parliamentary debate and vote (possibly free vote) and allow for another referendum and/or General Election before we jump off the cliff.

It's becoming more and more obvious that the current government couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery let alone one of the most complex issues ever challenging the UK. 

7 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Not sure which one he is as several keep posting as if the decision can't ever be changed!

And all it takes is the spineless May and her government to withdraw Article 50 and then give MP's a free vote in our representative democracy. A GE can then be fought with all parties declaring their stand on the EU - leave or stay.

Dave and May tried to mess with the system and use it for their own ends. Shouldn't have.

And whose been doing same ever since?

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

"Wow - Cameron now a poster on TVF! Who'd have though Dave would do that.

Not sure which one he is as several keep posting as if the decision can't ever be changed!"

Please try not to be silly....

Prior to the referendum I was 'on the fence'.

After the referendum I hoped that the result would force the eu into self-reform - but instead they preferred to rely on a 'no negotiating about the important things until money to be paid to us has been sorted out' - and then coming up with every difficulty possible, whilst still having no interest in talking about trade!  And May and the brit. govt. supported this ☹️.

Which is why I'm now a (sort of reluctant) brexiteer.

The uk govt. and MPs would undoubtedly prefer to remain - but they have to find a way to fool the electorate into thinking that they support democracy.....

14 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

If they act quickly, Article 50 can be withdrawn. That would give time for a full parliamentary debate and vote (possibly free vote) and allow for another referendum and/or General Election before we jump off the cliff.

It's becoming more and more obvious that the current government couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery let alone one of the most complex issues ever challenging the UK. 

Which part of L-E-A-V-E don't you get?

37 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

We've got Nukes  - you ain't. Next time Russia decided it wants to annex you, don't count on our help.

This statement approved by that prominent supporter of Brexit, Vladimir Putin.

Just now, bristolboy said:

This statement approved by that prominent supporter of Brexit, Vladimir Putin.

You and oilinki should get together, as you're both convinced that it's all a result of 'the russians' 🤣!

But please don't annoy the rest of us with this type of propaganda, insisting that brits. were influenced by russian propaganda.....

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Hope you're right Grousy!

If so I'll unload the Shotgun - 555!

That's very sporting if you!