Beware monkeys!: Aussie tourist taken to hospital after attack at Krabi temple

webfact

Beware monkeys!: Aussie tourist taken to hospital after attack at Krabi temple

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A 30 year old Australian tourist was attacked by a monkey at the temple of Wat Tham Seua in Krabi yesterday.

Daily News reported that despite measures taken to stop monkey attacks in the area they were continuing unabated. 

Serena Seffer (name transliterated from Thai) was with a female friend and was going up the temple staircase when they were surrounded by monkeys. 

She lashed out to stop the attack as one tried to take her shoulder bag.

She was taken to Krabi hospital with three cuts to her left arm. 

A National Park source told Daily News that despite efforts to sterilize and return the monkeys to nature, there were a large number at the temple responsible for many attacks. 

They were competing for an ever dwindling supply of food and tourists were attacked for this reason. 

Wat Tham Seua or the Tiger Cave Temple is in Krabi Noi district. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-04

I have encountered this problem first in India/Nepal and later in Indonesia. It all stems from people wanting to feed the monkeys. No problem to begin with but the monkeys get extra food and proliferate. Then they compete for food between each other and later cant wait to be fed but come to snatch bags and pockets hoping to find food. Off season the monkeys go hungry having never learned how to find natural food and being short of tourists so now they are desperate. They lose their natural social hierarchy system, fight amongst and even kill their own group. Human interference at its worst. 

Got "mobbed" in Penang park. Shredded the plastic bag I was carrying. No food in it just extra gear, but they knew that people bring food in plastic bag. Very fast with sharp claws, so a bit unsettling. 

44 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Horrible little bastards, the only animal I really dislike.

There is one other but I won't name him in this forum.

He is the one that teaches monkeys to steal tourists bags and then run away to receive a delicious reward.

Long ago and years less smarter, monkeys tried to grab bag of food from me and as I fought back a fruit vendor warned me "let it go, they bustards bite". I've since always hated the filthy creatures and never

include the "monkey hill" on tourist tours,

When dealing with a pack of monkeys you have to show them you are the king of the pack. I'm actually talking out of my arse, but from personal experience at the Hua Hin Wat Takiab or whatever it's called.. the first time I went there the monkeys were jumping on me and stole all the food I was carrying with force. I was scared, and they could certainly see it. The second time a year later there I wondered why the locals manage to keep them away and it's because if they come too close, they hit them with a stick or shoot with a slingshot. So I grabbed a stick and confidently walked down the same path down towards the shore. Only one of them tried coming too close, but as soon as I lifted the stick up and showed a bit of aggression, he knew who the king monkey was.. after a while they all politely queued up for their share of my peanuts. Always learn something new ???? 

18 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Got "mobbed" in Penang park. Shredded the plastic bag I was carrying. No food in it just extra gear, but they knew that people bring food in plastic bag. Very fast with sharp claws, so a bit unsettling. 

My son and I got mobbed across the road from  Don Chao Poo Forest, Phana, Amnat Chaoroen - it was the low season and the macaques were hungry.  I won't go there anymore since I believe the macaque population is out of control.  There is always a chance of a rabies infestation.

13 hours ago, Aforek said:

They didn't say the name of  monkey, I think it must be macaque ; disgusting monkey ( gibbons are very nice ) ; never bring food with you when you visit a temple with these bastards 

Please don't be so harsh on us 

We only had taxi drivers to teach us how to react near tourists

16 hours ago, SS1 said:

When dealing with a pack of monkeys you have to show them you are the king of the pack. I'm actually talking out of my arse, but from personal experience at the Hua Hin Wat Takiab or whatever it's called.. the first time I went there the monkeys were jumping on me and stole all the food I was carrying with force. I was scared, and they could certainly see it. The second time a year later there I wondered why the locals manage to keep them away and it's because if they come too close, they hit them with a stick or shoot with a slingshot. So I grabbed a stick and confidently walked down the same path down towards the shore. Only one of them tried coming too close, but as soon as I lifted the stick up and showed a bit of aggression, he knew who the king monkey was.. after a while they all politely queued up for their share of my peanuts. Always learn something new ???? 

The animal kingdom is the same everywhere. Especially with Primates.

Archived