Video: Woman driver "definitely to blame" after death of TV host and store manager in Chiang Mai

webfact

1 hour ago, kcpattaya said:

3 hours ago, johng said:

I can't agree with that...the CRV driver  should have seen the vehicle in the right most lane

and should have been in the right most lane to make the turn...not cut across the other lane.

Correct: The Honda CRV driver cut-off the Toyota.
The reason she is been charged with negligent driving is probably because she's not a "celebrity"....

Wrong !!! 

The Vios was in a U-Turn only lane. 

The CRV was in a Turn right or go straight lane. 

The vios sped up the inside attempting to queue jump. 

The driver if the Vios was in the wrong. The driver of the CRV made no faulty or illegal manoeuvre. 

That said: how did either car not break before the barrier... a sad loss of life which seems completely avoidable even after impact. 

Then, how did they fail to get out of the car ??? 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wrong !!! 

Not correct. The Toyota was on a yellow marked shoulder. Not a lane. Forbidden to drive on yellow marked shoulders. Also, there are beacons separating the shoulder from the lane. Nobody should be there.

All correct after that.

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Severe trauma which lead to immediate death according to initial reports. Dead people don´t leave cars by themselves.

54 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

If they are turning into a shop or a gas station or whatever ...they never seem to get into the proper lane before making the turn. On thousands of occasions I see them making the turn from the 2nd lane out.

Amen to that.

For the black car to be at fault it must have been travelling on the shoulder of the road going straight ahead and the silver Honda was in the appropriate lane turning right. The black car also seemed to travelling too fast in that situation You see drivers all the time using the shoulder of the road to beat the traffic and quite often taxi drivers and mini buses do it. You also don't see drivers getting booked for doing this. It seems to be accepted practise unless something goes drastically wrong, as in this case.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Strange.. no attempts were made by the CRV to either hit the breaks or steer away from this disaster that was completely avoidable...

I didn't see any use of indicators although the clip isn't particularly clear.

3 hours ago, johng said:

I can't agree with that...the CRV driver  should have seen the vehicle in the right most lane

and should have been in the right most lane to make the turn...not cut across the other lane.

Totally agree, but the CRV driver is dead and cannot get extorted,  I dont see any reason to blame the black Toyota driver.

4 hours ago, saigonsunset said:

How did they not manage to break before falling down? The collission was hardly a massive impact that would knock you out. Amazing ...

"Break"??   they certainly broke the bridge barriers which are not very strong it seems.

51 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wrong !!! 

The CRV was in a Turn right or go straight lane. 

The vios sped up the inside attempting to queue jump. 

The driver if the Vios was in the wrong. The driver of the CRV made no faulty or illegal manoeuvre. 

That said: how did either car not break before the barrier... a sad loss of life which seems completely avoidable even after impact. 

Looked like the Vios was travelling at speed on the shoulder of the road illegally to beat traffic.  The Vios would have had a little bit more time to react and brake as it was behind the Honda. The Honda driver was totally blindsided from behind and would have had no time to react.

10 minutes ago, masuk said:

"Break"??   they certainly broke the bridge barriers which are not very strong it seems.

It was a totally unexpected impact from behind from a car travelling at speed. Very little time to react and brake. The black car had slightly more time to brake as the other car was in front.

The driver of the Toyota apparently was attempting to pass the CRV or make a U-turn on the right on what was (apparently, in the past) a U-turn only lane that had been changed to be a no-drive area (from reading these posts and looking at the Google Maps Street Views provided).

Here's where things get dicey. The CRV may or may not have indicated a right-hand turn with their turn signals, but a more important point in my mind is clearing one's right-rear side before attempting a right-hand turn when it is possible for a vehicle to be there. As a cyclist, failing to clear one's right rear is dangerous because one could collect a motorbike or another cyclist who is trying to pass on the right (assuming there's no room for a car in the space or shoulder to your right).

I was almost involved in an accident that is similar to this one where a motorbike had misread the road and was attempting to pass a long line of vehicles on their right where the lead car was waiting to turn right. Unfortunately, the car lead driver decided to make the right turn without checking his right rear for vehicles approaching from his rear in the lane he was going to cross during his right turn. The motorbike got the worst of it because he hit the car when it was into its right turn in his lane at about 45 degree angle and was unavoidable. The driver of the car was lucky he did not collect a heavy super bike which could have penetrated his door and ended up in his lap. He was lucky it was only a light-weight moped that hit him.

Legally, I suppose the deceased CRV driver could not be blamed. However, from a defensive driving standpoint, I would give the two drivers 50/50. It's similar to being dead right about insisting on having the right-of-way when taking that position could be fatal.

5 hours ago, johng said:

The problem is that the black was driving in a part of the road that is NOT a vehicle lane.

Didn't see  the turning signal on on the SUV + the black Toyota was on the apron of the road shouldn't be there at all. Toyota should've been on the lane Left side of the SUV,,, But being in Thailand  one has to drive Watching all sides because nobody gives a shit about road rules. 

5 hours ago, saigonsunset said:

How did they not manage to break before falling down? The collission was hardly a massive impact that would knock you out. Amazing ...

"How did they not manage to break..." [sic]

The CRV was braking, kinetic energy is involved.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Strange.. no attempts were made by the CRV to either hit the breaks or steer away from this disaster that was completely avoidable...

The CRV had started to turn right when it was hit from the side and it was braking, brake lights gave that away!

4 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Interesting that it was the heavier vehicle that went over,but agree with above posters seems little evidence of braking,would not have thought the collision would be enough to damage breaking system,not sure where located on this model,maybe they just froze,where as anyone with good driver training would have instictivley braked.

"Interesting that it was the heavier vehicle that went over..."

Why?  Kinetic energy and the fact that the Vios hit the barrier first and weakened it?  How about that?

36 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"Interesting that it was the heavier vehicle that went over..."

Why?  Kinetic energy and the fact that the Vios hit the barrier first and weakened it?  How about that?

well at last a comment and ithought from your reactions to most of my post's you were just permanently confused,dashed good work sir with a thorough scientific explantion.keep it up old chap.toodle pip.

i wondered why there is no real campaign to fix the road tolls. Just reading cnn and apparently 62people die a day on the roads and just 65people at new year on average. That says it all really. Most thais shouldnt be behind the wheel until common sense is a common trait. 

Both cars are at fault not to mention it doesnt look like a well thought out intersection like most.

3 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

The CRV may or may not have indicated a right-hand turn with their turn signals, but a more important point in my mind is clearing one's right-rear side before attempting a right-hand turn when it is possible for a vehicle to be there.

54 posts and you are the only one to mention this. Yes, the Toyota driver was in the wrong place and travelling too fast, but this terrible accident could so very easily have been avoided by the CRV driver applying basic driving principles and ensuring it was safe to do so before starting the turn. 

Looking at the video,ok the crv did not indicate but the toyota driver had ample time to take evasive action,the crv was half way between the inside lines well before the honda reached it,one thing we dont know is why the crv was not in the right hand lane prior to that,also why did the toyota continue when a blind man can see the toyota could not make it safely to out run the crv on the turn,I also think if it is so that the toyota was going straight on,in that case i would charge the driver with causing death by dangerous driving,if it was Europe that person may be charged with manslaughter why did neither of them brake?even to the last second,it looks very much to me that it was 50-50 for all the reasons i have stated.That is only my guess and opinion but in Europe I would say that the car was more at fault how did he or she think for one second that they could force the crv back into the middle lane,because thats what it looks likeMy personal opinion is they were both engaged in something that distracted their attention,and if so its not hard to guess,although be it a guess,they were both using the phone.This as we know is common place here even on motorbikes and even the police I have seen it no end of times.RIP to the people who lost their lives.

10 hours ago, johng said:

Thats exactly what i told my gf same second i saw the video. Have to look again though. For me it seems she thought she couldnt make the uturn and made a bigger circle by going out in wrong lane, and the car behind thought she changed her mind and wanted to go straight, because she was changing line

How do we know the Vios wasn't make a legal U-turn? I agree it looked like it was going too fast but the CRV's angle during the turn seems to be sharp enough it would cut into the U-turn lane anyways. I got my clip from Thairath TV on YouTube and  you can never really see the most crucial part of the accident where both cars start to turn.

I used to live around here before they added this mystery yellow lane and there were stop lights but it's not clear if drivers really understand that you MUST U-turn here. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.

2098625201_ScreenShot2019-01-04at10_09_49AM.png.477d4907bbe683d977c814824fde6ba0.png

Archived