Why not leave TV Forum website as it was?

Brunolem

It is a general tendency for web designers to try to "improve" a site that is working well, and end up with a site that is working...worse!

TV Forum appears to be no exception.

On top of the constant troubles advertised at the top of the pages, including some for today, one can see what has gone worse, but not what has gone better, since someone(s) put one's fingers into the site's coding.

For example, the notifications used to show members who had reacted to one of your posts, or quoted you, along those who had posted a comment in a thread where you had previously posted.

Well, that isn't the case anymore!

At best, I am notified of some posts in some threads where I have posted, but not all of them, and the notifications for reactions and quotes have completely disappeared.

Was it really necessary to "improve" instead of simply maintain?

Probably not, but designers have to be kept busy...and anyway this opens new ways for members to complain about something...

"Change" makes the world go around. Have you ever thought about how many people make their living by convincing other people to change something ? And then, in a case such as Thai Visa, they can come back in 6 or 12 months, and suggest changing back to what was there previously ! Is change necessary ? If your paycheque depends on it, yes, otherwise, it usually isn't.

3 hours ago, allane said:

"Change" makes the world go around. Have you ever thought about how many people make their living by convincing other people to change something ? And then, in a case such as Thai Visa, they can come back in 6 or 12 months, and suggest changing back to what was there previously ! Is change necessary ? If your paycheque depends on it, yes, otherwise, it usually isn't.

Actually no.

I am a huge Amazon user (sine 1999) and often wondered why would Amazon (and pretty much every shopping platform) keeps changing something that works fine and make it slower, more annoying and uglier in general. Then I started noticing that after a while I would get used to all the annoyances while by the time I (and most of the world) upgraded my computer everything would run faster.

I suspect TV as being a business tries to stay relevant and that includes constant changes and "improvements"

M1BmpMFRNDgcEVBKbmnDAWwL-utUa4GtuisySZ7n

it seems to me that often 'improvements' to web sites are done at the whim of people who have no iea of the needs of the end user. bells and whistles are added because they can be and sold to users as delivering great benefit when in fact the majority of users where quite happy with the way things were. and the changes introduced end up being used by a small majority and upsetting the majority.

changes should be made in consultation with/following feedback from users, and why not include an option for users to choose the 'new' way or continue with the 'classic' more basic and perfectly fit for purpose old design/functionality?

remember the font controversy? i had to get a plug in to replace their font with something readable. they made it clear in the statement that was released that they are keeping up with the times and the opinions of the older demographic here at TV does not count because they want to appeal to people who like this color:

srgnhg.JPG

I'm still on WIndows 7 on one of my laptops because I like it and it works fast enough for me. Word and Excel 2010 installed. It's 8 years old now but works great. 

Why change something that works and is fast? New technology are supposed to work faster , better CPU, more memory etc, but somehow the software they use often slows down the user friendly experience.  

Simple interface, simple software = better speed.  

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

remember the font controversy? i had to get a plug in to replace their font with something readable. they made it clear in the statement that was released that they are keeping up with the times and the opinions of the older demographic here at TV does not count because they want to appeal to people who like this color:

srgnhg.JPG

The T in the logo should be capitalized! 

And agree, that color background is not favorable on the eyes.

10 hours ago, samsensam said:

it seems to me that often 'improvements' to web sites are done at the whim of people who have no iea of the needs of the end user. bells and whistles are added because they can be and sold to users as delivering great benefit when in fact the majority of users where quite happy with the way things were. and the changes introduced end up being used by a small majority and upsetting the majority.

Tell me about it ???? 

And it's not just TV, Mr Gates' outfit are constantly "improving" things, in reality the functionality and appearance is going backwards (remember Windows Aero?).

Similarly in my work life, IT make changes (usually to security) to the point that the system no longer actually works, "improve until it breaks". For example, our web-based Document Management System is quick and quite effective, but it now won't work from outside Thailand, I have to VPN (at my expense) to Thailand to gain access to essential documentation.

Unfortunately we are the mercy of the developers, (almost) none of the functionality changes was initiated by TV.

Some time back TV was buzzing along nicely on a postively antique version of the software, we had a bunch of plug-ins to make life easier (for mods and members). Then Bam! Support for that version ended. The only way to maintain any form of support was to "upgrade" to the newest version. "Everything will work the same" they said. Wrong! Most of the plug-ins stopped working and weren't being updated by their developers, of course there's no equivalent function in the "improved" version. 

All this is supposedly "progress", call me a Luddite if you wish (most people are in reality), such is life.

21 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Tell me about it ???? 

And it's not just TV, Mr Gates' outfit are constantly "improving" things, in reality the functionality and appearance is going backwards (remember Windows Aero?).

Similarly in my work life, IT make changes (usually to security) to the point that the system no longer actually works, "improve until it breaks". For example, our web-based Document Management System is quick and quite effective, but it now won't work from outside Thailand, I have to VPN (at my expense) to Thailand to gain access to essential documentation.

Unfortunately we are the mercy of the developers, (almost) none of the functionality changes was initiated by TV.

Some time back TV was buzzing along nicely on a postively antique version of the software, we had a bunch of plug-ins to make life easier (for mods and members). Then Bam! Support for that version ended. The only way to maintain any form of support was to "upgrade" to the newest version. "Everything will work the same" they said. Wrong! Most of the plug-ins stopped working and weren't being updated by their developers, of course there's no equivalent function in the "improved" version. 

All this is supposedly "progress", call me a Luddite if you wish (most people are in reality), such is life.

Since we live in a consumer society, we have to...well...consume!

And consuming we do, and if we don't want to, it is forced down our throats by...change, a.k.a. "progress"!

Softwares are updated, "upgraded", constantly, while the previous versions are maintained only for a short time.

Thus, after a few years, you have to change your hardware that cannot support the latest software version, even if said hardware is still perfectly working.

You may also decide to keep on going with an older version, but then things will go slower and slower for you...

All this is made possible by the lack of competition, oligarchy having replaced capitalism.

In a capitalist economy, there would be countless providers/operators/manufacturers, instead of 2 or 3 as there are these days (Apple or Google, Samsung or Apple, Facebook or Twitter... Coca or Pepsi, Democrat crooks or Republican crooks, and so on).

In the end, the consumer/user/taxpayer/voter is stuck with no real choice, having lost his freedom without even being aware of it...

I'm still on WIndows 7 on one of my laptops because I like it and it works fast enough for me. Word and Excel 2010 installed. It's 8 years old now but works great. 

Why change something that works and is fast? New technology are supposed to work faster , better CPU, more memory etc, but somehow the software they use often slows down the user friendly experience.  

Simple interface, simple software = better speed.  

Come to re format i have all our PC back to 7.Unless anyone objects but no one has.If i ran Msoft id wonder what i payed folks for.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived