Travel Insurance for Trip to the US

luther

8 minutes ago, luther said:

IMG Patriot Platinum gets scathing reviews.

I've used World Nomads in the past and will probably go with them, but not with any confidence.

Where are the IMG scathing reviews you're referring to?  From what I read at the time, IMG seems to be a pretty well regarded health policy provider.

Are you a us citizen? As many policies inc World Nomads will not insure US citizens for travel to the US.

IMG Patriot America Plus (not Patriot Platinum, as that is for US citizens travelling outside the US) specifically covers non-US residents (including US citizens who live abroad) travelling to the US.

I got it for several years until I obtained Medicare. But never needed to make a claim.

If nto a US citizen, World Nomads is a solid company but they will not insure age 65 and over.

depending on the level of the emergency, in Florida anyway there are many walk in clinics where one immediately sees a real doctor, can get a prescription, x rays, get broken bones set, etc. for reasonable prices. In general Emergency Rooms affiliated with and inside Hospitals are much more price gougy.

1 minute ago, gk10002000 said:

depending on the level of the emergency, in Florida anyway there are many walk in clinics where one immediately sees a real doctor, can get a prescription, x rays, get broken bones set, etc. for reasonable prices. In general Emergency Rooms affiliated with and inside Hospitals are much more price gougy.

A few weeks back, my father in a California suburb had an ailment over the weekend where his weekday regular doctor wasn't available, but he also didn't think it merited going to an emergency room. So after checking with his Medicare plan, he found they had a couple "urgent care" clinics in his town that he could visit and be covered.

He called up one nearby, and they told him to see a doctor at their "urgent care" on the weekend was going to require a 2-4 hour wait and no appointments available, walk-in only.  That's the farthest from anything I'd call "urgent care" that I've ever heard!!!!

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Are you a us citizen? As many policies inc World Nomads will not insure US citizens for travel to the US.

IMG Patriot America Plus (not Patriot Platinum, as that is for US citizens travelling outside the US) specifically covers non-US residents (including US citizens who live abroad) travelling to the US.

I got it for several years until I obtained Medicare. But never needed to make a claim.

If nto a US citizen, World Nomads is a solid company but they will not insure age 65 and over.

I am an American citizen, but a resident of Thailand. World Nomads will insure me.

It's easy to find a variety of sites reviewing travel insurance plans by Googling something like "IMG America Plus reviews." If you filter out the vast majority of people who never made a claim.  If you read the ones where people had to deal with the company or make a claim, then the ratings average is in the one or two star range.

Note carefully very very carefully the fine print. For example, here's how World Nomads defines a "resident":

The country you select as your country of residence is the country where you: are a citizen or legal resident; and have unrestricted right of entry; and have access to long-term medical care, particularly should you require a medical repatriation under this policy; and have your residential address as shown on your Certificate of Insurance.

I don't know whether someone living in Thailand on an annual retirement visa, say, would be regarded as a "resident" under this definition, especially the "unrestricted right of entry" qualification. But I do know that when reading insurance policies, it's safest to assume the insurance company will take the most restrictive reading possible.

https://products-api.worldnomads.com/v1/regulatoryWordingDocuments/508

On 1/5/2019 at 1:45 PM, Sheryl said:

Sheryl, IMG has different policies for different audiences, including one for Americans living abroad who plan to travel back to the U.S. for limited periods of time, and another for Thai citizens who simply want to travel to the U.S.  I've gone over that with them personally in excruciating detail the past two years, so I'm very clear on that point.

Patriot America Plus is the name of their travel insurance policy for Thai or other foreign citizens who want to visit the U.S.

Patriot Platinum International with citizenship return rider (the part that covers Americans coming back to the U.S. temporarily) is the one for U.S. expats traveling back to the U.S.

Admittedly, one of the things that's confusing about IMG is that they have so many different varieties of policies, and originally, I couldn't tell for certain which ones fit our specific needs -- a U.S. citizen living in Thailand traveling back to the U.S., accompanied by his Thai wife.  The two policies I mentioned above were those that IMG specifically directed for my and my wife's individual/different situations.

As for World Nomads, as a U.S. citizen LIVING in Thailand, I've had coverage from them for trips back to the U.S.  I believe, their focus is where you RESIDE or have resided (being Thailand), not what is your legal citizenship. For that policy, you do have to declare to them that you have some core health insurance policy coverage in Thailand.

2 hours ago, taxout said:

Note carefully very very carefully the fine print. For example, here's how World Nomads defines a "resident":

The country you select as your country of residence is the country where you: are a citizen or legal resident; and have unrestricted right of entry; and have access to long-term medical care, particularly should you require a medical repatriation under this policy; and have your residential address as shown on your Certificate of Insurance.

I don't know whether someone living in Thailand on an annual retirement visa, say, would be regarded as a "resident" under this definition, especially the "unrestricted right of entry" qualification. But I do know that when reading insurance policies, it's safest to assume the insurance company will take the most restrictive reading possible.

https://products-api.worldnomads.com/v1/regulatoryWordingDocuments/508

I'm a legal resident of Thailand via visa originally and now extension of stay.

I have unrestricted right of entry, year by year.

I have access to long term medical care in Thailand via my Thai medical insurance policy.

My one and only residence is in Thailand.

I think that meets their criteria as you've listed them above.

If I were an insurance company lawyer facing a big claim from you, I'd certainly argue that a re-entry permit does not give you an "unrestricted right" to enter Thailand.

Indeed, the question was discussed recently here:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1065868-is-it-possible-to-be-denied-entry-at-an-airport-with-a-valid-re-entry-permit/

Of course words are just words and everyone could argue back and forth what the policy words mean in that context. Only a court would have the final say.

But as I said, insurance companies are shameless when it comes to using the fine print against claims. Utterly shameless. And those two words "unrestricted right" are in there for a reason: to be used to deny a claim.

Presumably this only becomes an issue when you make a big claim, when it's worth the insurance company's time to go through your background with a fine-tooth comb. But it's when you have a big claim that insurance becomes really important.

Having insurance provides great peace of mind. Until you read the policy.

When I still lived in Thailand full time we had Bupa health insurance, and bought their travel insurance for my annual trips back home.

Now I never had any major accidents or hospitalizations, but I did make claims for an eye infection and a broken leg.....stupid (old fart) skiing accident, both of which they paid without issue.

Can't remember who Bupa Thailand is anymore, but unlikely to have changed that much

• 2 weeks later...

I've been struggling to find travel insurance to the USA as an American expat. As Sheryl says above and TallGuy confirms, the *only* policy I have found so far which specifically allows this is IMG. From their brochure:

Patriot Travel Medical Insurance is available for U.S. citizens and permanent residents traveling outside of the United States with coverage for brief returns to the U.S., and for non-U.S. citizens traveling outside of their home country.

And elsewhere:

Citizenship Return Rider   (Up to the maximum limit  - U.S. citizens have a 60-day maximum)

You must purchase both their insurance AND the citizenship return rider for this to be effective.

World Nomads does NOT provide the complete policy wording until after you have already purchased the insurance. This, to me, seems very sketchy and probably illegal.

Every other policy I have found so far is written in such a way that US citizens can not buy travel insurance to the USA. Tokio - Marine, who had one of the best policies I found at a reasonable price, at least makes this very clear in their policy. US citizens are not allowed, no matter where they reside in the world.

So, can anyone tell me of any other company, other than IMG, who will provide insurance to American expats for a brief visit to the USA? IMG is really expensive.....

Be careful of the fine print with Nomads...

I recently traveled the other way USA>Thailand needed 3 months insurance

Both IMG & Nomads looked good

But when I called Nomads the lady made it clear that they were a secondary insurance & only came into play when primary was exhausted.

I explained my primary did not insure outside the USA but she insisted that is how it needed to be

IMG on the other hand said no problem. If no primary coverage outside USA then they would be primary

May not be the same the other way...Thailand> USA but maybe something to ask about to be safe

10 hours ago, Monomial said:

I've been struggling to find travel insurance to the USA as an American expat. As Sheryl says above and TallGuy confirms, the *only* policy I have found so far which specifically allows this is IMG. From their brochure:

And elsewhere:

You must purchase both their insurance AND the citizenship return rider for this to be effective.

World Nomads does NOT provide the complete policy wording until after you have already purchased the insurance. This, to me, seems very sketchy and probably illegal.

Every other policy I have found so far is written in such a way that US citizens can not buy travel insurance to the USA. Tokio - Marine, who had one of the best policies I found at a reasonable price, at least makes this very clear in their policy. US citizens are not allowed, no matter where they reside in the world.

So, can anyone tell me of any other company, other than IMG, who will provide insurance to American expats for a brief visit to the USA? IMG is really expensive.....

I'm looking at the brochure below.

https://www.imglobal.com/docs/library/forms-library/patriot-brochure.pdf#page=1&zoom=auto,-247,151

I cannot find any mention of the return rider being limited to 60 days.  Can you point me to that.  I guess I will chat with them.

If you are a US citizen, you are always considered a resident of the US...it can vary, though.  I have been using Tokio Marine.  Bought a separate policy for a three week visit to the us last year.  Was about five bucks per day....considered a "STM.". Same kind of policy you would get between jobs...with much lower deductible than Marketplace Shiite.  I had a card, and was also glad they had a direct payment system with Martha Jefferson hospital near ma and PA's.  Also urgent care options.  Since you will be assigned an agent anyways, best to go to WWW.INSUBUY.COM.....you can talk to licensed agents on the phone.  Their website covers the details.  I can purchase trip insurance through Tokio Marine, after the trip started...can't do that with nomads.  IMG and Tokio are both highly rated by AM Best.  

On 1/24/2019 at 5:35 AM, Monomial said:

And elsewhere:

But if you have a Tokio policy for Thailand..you get a few weeks coverage in the US for every several months you are covered outside, but it may only be 50%....that is why I bought a STM...and there was only one company doing less than 30 days on insubuy.

Just did a quote..me US citizen..yet to arrive in us, with mailing address outside of us...30 days in us with 1 million in coverage, 250 deductible, and zero copay..25 dollar urgent care...176 USD...company is Patriot America, underwriter is Sirius International.

Archived