My Retirement Visa Extension in Chiang Rai

westbounder

Dress respectfull. So no shorts, no flipflops or jesus sandals. A tie doesn't seems neccessary to me, but dressed for the occasion will not hurt anybody.. The more respect you show, the more respect you get from teh people at immi. 

Sorry to say I am privileged having PR. But things  have changed mightily at CR immigration in the last year or two:

- it's unbelievably more busy - really so - but nowhere near CM levels.

- the increased business is mostly from Asians - young HiSo students and older High Net Worth individuals. To tell the truth they look much more savoury than the farangs in the queue.

Not in Soi 5 Jomtien ..but wouldn't common sense alone tell you to dress respectfully ..at least that's the way I was reared when meeting with authority etc.,

Correction ..times have changed ..I keep forgetting ...(not for the better, methinks).

At Jomtien, I've always gone wearing a short sleeved shirt with a collar (i.e. a "polo" shirt), long pants (jeans or cargo pants) and running shoes (a decent pair).

Shower, shave (if you don't normally have a beard) and use deodorant. Be polite (a simple "wai" and "Sawatdee khrap" can go a long ways).

Make sure you have your paperwork in order before you get there. Have your photocopies done (and signed), recent bank letter/passbook updated (if using that method) and passport photos. There is literally zero reason why you can't have all that done the day before.

(I'm sure the IOs get annoyed a dozen times a day by people who show up to do an extension and haven't done any of the above. I've seen people, who were in front of me in line, sit in a chair for 30+ minutes until the IOs start calling numbers, get to the desk and then start filling out their application and signing their photocopies. Apparently, even knowing what they needed to do and arriving early, doing anything ahead of time was too much effort.
I've also stood in line with people that you'd swear woke up on the floor of whatever bar they'd spent the last 3 days drinking in and went straight from there to Immigration. Dressed in beach shorts, sleeveless t-shirts and reeking of body odour.)

I've found (from personal experience) that being clean, presentable (and polite) and having all your ducks in order not only makes the process faster, but keeps the IO from getting annoyed (and then starting to nit-pick your paperwork).

dressing up for immigration--is utter nonsence...what is wrong with shorts  decent shirt and jandals ??? 

sure- wearing no shirt or maybe only a singlet, would not be appropriate...

does it realy make somebody a 'better' person if they wear trousers and shoes etc ????

this is 2019, a tropical  relaxed country......get real folks...

when i was at jomtien immigration recently...i dont think i saw any expats wearing long trousers and shoes..

i even saw some people in singlets...

Regardless of what some of you consider utter nonsense, there are signs posted around the CR immigration office which clearly show (pictures for those who don’t read well) what they consider appropriate attire for photos.  Their house, their rules and they are not the ones asking for a visa and the privilege of staying in this country.

Never heard of anyone being rejected for wearing a polo shirt and nice pressed shorts and runners or sandals 

It's a myth. Plenty times seen backpackers in BKK immigration, long greasy hair, singlet, flip flops etc processing visas. 

9 hours ago, cadwallader said:

Sorry to say I am privileged having PR. But things  have changed mightily at CR immigration in the last year or two:

- it's unbelievably more busy - really so - but nowhere near CM levels.

- the increased business is mostly from Asians - young HiSo students and older High Net Worth individuals. To tell the truth they look much more savoury than the farangs in the queue.

Why are students Hi So? It's a very insulting word, meaning someone who pretends to be high-class when they are not. Such people are loathed by everybody in Thailand.

The way I see it is that the IO is at work and we enter their work space. I have not yet seen an IO at an office, on duty, wearing shorts, sandals etc. They make an effort to look presentable and analogous to doing business and we should be respectful in return. Casual open neck shirt and long trousers (for men) at least. We should not regard the IO as being there for our purposes, we go there to abide by their law.

I have always worn a good pair of jeans, like Levis or Lee Cooper, not the faded type, good quality running shoes or open shoes like Scholl, and a good T-shirt, clean shaven, unless growing my man hair on my face, a little cologne, wai when walking in, smile and have never had an issue at Sakon Nakhon.

When the above is completed, then I go back to my PJ shorts and singlet, it's not that hard for one day of the year, or you could try a top hat and tails, but don't forget the fishnet stockings and whip ????

Related image

20 hours ago, madmen said:

Why? Just a polo shirt and nice shorts is perfectly fine 

There used to be, maybe still are, signs up in some offices suggesting dress code.

Polo shirt, short sleeved shirt, long sleeved shirts fine but not t-shirts and certainly not wife-beater shirts!

Long trousers - not shorts and shoes not open toe sandals.

No need to wear a tie. 

I've found over the years that you get treated differently dependent on how you dress by officials, and not just Thailand.

20 hours ago, westbounder said:

Is it true I must wear a button shirt and a tie to do my annual retirement extension?

I always wear a button shirt, but not because I once a year is extending my stay based on retirement. In general when going to a public office, one should follow some sensible dress code, and don't look like one arriving straight from the beach. It might be different from province to province what is expected, but with a bit of common sense, you'll never have a dress code problem in a government office...????

2 hours ago, villagefarang said:

Regardless of what some of you consider utter nonsense, there are signs posted around the CR immigration office which clearly show (pictures for those who don’t read well) what they consider appropriate attire for photos.  Their house, their rules and they are not the ones asking for a visa and the privilege of staying in this country.

ive seen these signs at jomtien...its clear that very few take much notice of them....

immigration people, still seem to be doing their job....

if were white,  according to thai beliefs, we should actually be hiso people anyhow ?????

IMO some nonesense posted here and there.  If I went to imm. at Maesai now at 9am on my motorbike I would wear jeans , when I go in the warmer months I wear shorts , I also always wear a decent shirt , after imm. I meet up with others for lunch , then Makro for shopping , while wearing a suit , I think not .  As for ' no sandals or open toe shoes '  .  Brogues and socks I don't have , what would the difference be , do those working at imm. check your footwear !

Oh and yes they look smart there as their job is to show their uniform as all BiB do.

5 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Brogues and socks I don't have , what would the difference be , do those working at imm. check your footwear !

Oh and yes they look smart there as their job is to show their uniform as all BiB do.

They are only Boy Scouts in long pants........

Throughout my life I have believed in looking business-like if I am conducting "business" of any kind, and even wearing a tie if I deem it appropriate.  I view interactions with officials as "business", and dress accordingly.  Of course, someone wearing slops, shorts and a wife-beater is not going to be refused service, but, IMO, there is also the question of self-respect.  You have 89 days in a year to look and feel like a beach bum.  Why not do yourself proud on day 90?

6 hours ago, madmen said:

Never heard of anyone being rejected for wearing a polo shirt and nice pressed shorts and runners or sandals 

It's a myth. Plenty times seen backpackers in BKK immigration, long greasy hair, singlet, flip flops etc processing visas. 

Not a myth, have seen a Russian girl (pretty blond) barely get into Jomtien Immigration building before being told "go home and put some clothes on!"  She had on flip flops, bikini and a wrap around skirt on.  Saw a American/EU looking guy with long unkempt hair, singlet  and flip flops on being told by immigration in Bangkok to go look at dress requirement poster at front entrance and come back properly dressed.  Even if Jomtien Immigration is near the beach you are going into a Government Office asking for assistance. Would you dress like that at home going for a passport?    

I don't wear a tie but nice polo shirt, nice  running shoes or shoes and usually jeans or nice slacks. Only wore shorts once when I was doing a 90 day report and yes I think they appreciate you being presentable. Only charged me 1,000 baht for being late (2 months) on a 90 day report instead of 2,000 baht.

6 hours ago, madmen said:

They post all sorts of things and subsequently ignore them. EXAMPLE" "No tips"......yeah, right.

Archived