My Retirement Visa Extension in Chiang Rai

westbounder

For my last 3 marriage extensions, I have dressed the same as I do when shopping at Big C or Tesco, jeans, sports t-shirt, Crocs or sandals. I consider myself overdressed compared to others I see visiting Surin Immigration.
Anyone wearing Crocs should be deported.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You don’t have to wear a buttoned shirt and tie when applying for an extension of stay, but I know a very recent case where the applicant’s photograph was refused because it showed him in a T-shirt. He was told he needed a picture showing a collared shirt. He then went out, returned with the required picture and the application was granted without further delay. The fact that he turned up in the office in T-shirt didn’t bother the Immigration people.

This happened at Mae Sai Immigration, the Office that has Chiang Rai Immigration under it’s jurisdiction.

6 hours ago, gamini said:

Why are students Hi So? It's a very insulting word, meaning someone who pretends to be high-class when they are not. Such people are loathed by everybody in Thailand.

He didn't say students were HiSo's he said HiSo students :biggrin:

8 hours ago, Kerryd said:

At Jomtien, I've always gone wearing a short sleeved shirt with a collar (i.e. a "polo" shirt), long pants (jeans or cargo pants) and running shoes (a decent pair).

Shower, shave (if you don't normally have a beard) and use deodorant. Be polite (a simple "wai" and "Sawatdee khrap" can go a long ways).

Make sure you have your paperwork in order before you get there. Have your photocopies done (and signed), recent bank letter/passbook updated (if using that method) and passport photos. There is literally zero reason why you can't have all that done the day before.

(I'm sure the IOs get annoyed a dozen times a day by people who show up to do an extension and haven't done any of the above. I've seen people, who were in front of me in line, sit in a chair for 30+ minutes until the IOs start calling numbers, get to the desk and then start filling out their application and signing their photocopies. Apparently, even knowing what they needed to do and arriving early, doing anything ahead of time was too much effort.
I've also stood in line with people that you'd swear woke up on the floor of whatever bar they'd spent the last 3 days drinking in and went straight from there to Immigration. Dressed in beach shorts, sleeveless t-shirts and reeking of body odour.)

I've found (from personal experience) that being clean, presentable (and polite) and having all your ducks in order not only makes the process faster, but keeps the IO from getting annoyed (and then starting to nit-pick your paperwork).

Right on Kerry! 

What you said. And why not? It certainly can't hurt you. 

People often use the term Somchai on this forum to refer negatively to random Thai men. Surely the Thai have a similar moniker for sloppy, rude, and smelly foreigners, besides 'farang' I mean. Farang doesn't necessarily have a negative connotation either. 

I always dress well, shave, etc. when I go to the office, and smile no matter what. I WANT the local office people to see, recognize, and remember me when I go there. They do and we always exchange a smile when we meet. 

A business relationship is the same the world over. Respect those you are dealing with and it's very likely that they will do the same. What goes around comes around. 

By the way, if you internally distrust or despise Thai people it will show in your face and body language, at least subliminally. Millions of years of evolution has honed this talent in all of us. 

So why not start by realizing that not all Thai men and women are represented by Somchai and Noi?

4 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

IMO some nonesense posted here and there.  If I went to imm. at Maesai now at 9am on my motorbike I would wear jeans , when I go in the warmer months I wear shorts , I also always wear a decent shirt , after imm. I meet up with others for lunch , then Makro for shopping , while wearing a suit , I think not .  As for ' no sandals or open toe shoes '  .  Brogues and socks I don't have , what would the difference be , do those working at imm. check your footwear !

Oh and yes they look smart there as their job is to show their uniform as all BiB do.

I'm sure your attitude radiates as well in person at the IO as it does in your post and it's difficult to believe it helps you. 

People you meet see/feel much more detail than you think they do, and many cues are subtle and subliminally noted. 

When I go to the IO I have a goal in mind and do everything I can to further that aim. Dressing respectfully is truly a minor effort. Why should I aim to be barely acceptable? 

If you don't own any nicer clothes perhaps you should invest in a set. No telling when you might want a stranger to trust or respect you at first sight. 

You never get a second chance to make a first impression. 

7 hours ago, Scotssing said:

Morning suit and top hat usually get better service. An ebony cane as an accessory can shorten waiting times

Confirm that, but would add that spats, a monocle and disdainful attitude pays off in spades.

The way I see it is that the IO is at work and we enter their work space. I have not yet seen an IO at an office, on duty, wearing shorts, sandals etc. They make an effort to look presentable and analogous to doing business and we should be respectful in return. Casual open neck shirt and long trousers (for men) at least. We should not regard the IO as being there for our purposes, we go there to abide by their law.
Haha. Try BKK where all the female [emoji702] IO are wearing pink fury slippers. I get offended by that as they are supposed to be professional

13 hours ago, Kerryd said:

At Jomtien, I've always gone wearing a short sleeved shirt with a collar (i.e. a "polo" shirt), long pants (jeans or cargo pants) and running shoes (a decent pair).

Shower, shave (if you don't normally have a beard) and use deodorant. Be polite (a simple "wai" and "Sawatdee khrap" can go a long ways).

Make sure you have your paperwork in order before you get there. Have your photocopies done (and signed), recent bank letter/passbook updated (if using that method) and passport photos. There is literally zero reason why you can't have all that done the day before.

(I'm sure the IOs get annoyed a dozen times a day by people who show up to do an extension and haven't done any of the above. I've seen people, who were in front of me in line, sit in a chair for 30+ minutes until the IOs start calling numbers, get to the desk and then start filling out their application and signing their photocopies. Apparently, even knowing what they needed to do and arriving early, doing anything ahead of time was too much effort.
I've also stood in line with people that you'd swear woke up on the floor of whatever bar they'd spent the last 3 days drinking in and went straight from there to Immigration. Dressed in beach shorts, sleeveless t-shirts and reeking of body odour.)

I've found (from personal experience) that being clean, presentable (and polite) and having all your ducks in order not only makes the process faster, but keeps the IO from getting annoyed (and then starting to nit-pick your paperwork).

Same Same on Tuesday, I went to report my residence cause I had returned to LOS on Saturday, had everything copied, signed and filled out, once my number came up, I sat down, she smiled, and I was out of there in 5 minutes, she said in english  "Thank You' you make it easy for me".   I witnessed the same as above, people trying to jump the line, not having everything they were supposed, trying to argue their way thru - even  with about a dozen passports, lots of  paperwork took her about 15 mins cause she had her shi'ite together.  Look Respectful, respect their position, have your shi'ite together is the ticket.

6 hours ago, sfokevin said:

My understanding from what has been posted at the Jomtiem Immigration is that sandals are acceptable with black soxs... :coffee1:

That would identify you as a European or Australian, no self respecting American would wear socks with sandals.

That would identify you as a European or Australian, no self respecting American would wear socks with sandals.
Apart from a few elderly German and east European immigrants trying to push the theme it never really took off in oz

Archived