Scooters, IDPs, and Police

Hanaguma

Hi All;

I'll be in Hua Hin this spring for vacation, and want to rent some transportation. I'm tempted to just get a car at Swampy and keep it for the month, but even at a good discount the rate is about 16.000 baht. I'm considering a scooter instead once I get to Hua Hin. I have two valid driver's licences plus a valid International Driver's Permit.  Will this keep me on the good side of the law? I've read that it depends on the local constabulary as to whether or not they accept the IDP for scooters. Do they set up check points and try to generate a bit of revenue from 'unlicensed' drivers? Local advice much appreciated!

From my very recent experience, if they see a foreigner in a rental car, there's a chance you'll be pulled for a license check. I have a Thai DL and my own vehicle but recently I rented a car from Avis at U-Tapao. I got pulled over at their regular, daytime traffic check on Sukhumvit @ Ambassador and straight away he asked for the license. When he saw it was a Thai DL, he got all chummy and happy (seems especially common with licenses issued in Udon Thani!) and gave me the usual 'choke dee' and off I went. But I pondered why I was the only one pulled; nothing pulled ahead of me and all following traffic waived through. Rental cars usually have company stickers and I guess they watch for them as maybe the foreigner doesn't have an IDP or know what's otherwise acceptable and can contribute to their welfare fund?

I know scooters can be perilous in Pattaya since in descending order of wallet wringing, they typically want helmet, license, tax and the green book (copy). So if renting, make sure the tax sticker is current and there's a copy of the rego.

Good luck!

1) What country is your IDP from? Is it based on "1949 convention"?

2) Does your IDP show class "A" stamped for driving motorcycles?

If 1) and 2) positive you are 100% legal for a holiday.

And even if the IDP is a "1968" version you will likely be waved OK at road checks.

Hi;

My original driver's license is from Canada, so it's in English. Depending on the country and the mood of the local "boys in blue", they may or may not accept it.  Second license is from Japan (where I live now), and also the IDP is from Japan. Helpful since not too many police can read Japanese.  The IDP only has the one stamp, since there is no separate endorsement on a Japanese licence for motor scooters with small engines. Here, a motorcycle license is a separate test, etc.  Japan is a 1949 convention country

Never been pulled over in Thailand when in a rental car so far. Always waved through with a smile.  I keep the IDP current just in case. 

Driving a motorbike with an IDP that does not have the motorcycle endorsement will put you at risk if stopped.  They could overlook but technically you will be in the wrong and at their mercy.  Suggest you get the motorbike endorsement before travel.  If the authorities issuing your IDP will not provide endorsement unless you have a motorcycle license in their country then I would suggest you avoid motorbike rentals.  Something to think about is if you have an accident, and are deemed to be driving without the proper license, it could expose you to considerable liability financial and otherwise.   

13 hours ago, NanLaew said:

From my very recent experience, if they see a foreigner in a rental car, there's a chance you'll be pulled for a license check. I have a Thai DL and my own vehicle but recently I rented a car from Avis at U-Tapao. I got pulled over at their regular, daytime traffic check on Sukhumvit @ Ambassador and straight away he asked for the license. When he saw it was a Thai DL, he got all chummy and happy (seems especially common with licenses issued in Udon Thani!) and gave me the usual 'choke dee' and off I went. But I pondered why I was the only one pulled; nothing pulled ahead of me and all following traffic waived through. Rental cars usually have company stickers and I guess they watch for them as maybe the foreigner doesn't have an IDP or know what's otherwise acceptable and can contribute to their welfare fund?

I know scooters can be perilous in Pattaya since in descending order of wallet wringing, they typically want helmet, license, tax and the green book (copy). So if renting, make sure the tax sticker is current and there's a copy of the rego.

Good luck!

And make sure it is has insurance, including be sure it has third party cover (there are many places where anybody (including rental outfits, especially small times ones) can buy fake stickers.

Without insurance, and you have an accident and you are at fault, who pays up big (you only need one guess).

Over the last 14 years I've been stopped maybe 6 times while riding a scooter or the Harley. 

When I just had my IDP - no problem.

When I had my Thai license - no problem.

(Note: the issuer of your IDP may make a note that you are restricted to 125cc or under, unless you have a proper motorcycle license in your home country.)

Never been "singled out" because of being a foreigner. Normally it's a mass check of every scooter/motorbike on the highway and everyone gets checked (even moto taxi drivers with passengers).

Got a ticket once because I'd left my IDP on the other bike. 200 baht. The horror, the horror !
Got another ticket once because the <snipped> I had on the back didn't put her helmet on, despite me telling her to (twice) because I knew there were potential police checks ahead.

Never, ever been asked to produce my "green book". Usually it's check the license, occasionally followed by a quick glance to see if my tax decal is up to date and then I'm waved on. (If it's a rental bike though you'd probably want to keep a copy of the rental contract with you as well.)

Whatever you are riding/driving, make sure you have insurance and keep in mind that if you don't have a license/permit to operate that type of vehicle, your insurance may not cover you.

Thanks all. Think I will stick to renting a car. Hertz has good rates for long rentals, something like 550 baht a day including tax.  Plus a lot safer. Plus my wifs doesnt have to ride behind my substantial butt, hanging on for dear life...

Archived