where buy isopropyl alcohol 70% in Bangkok?

peterdwje2

20 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

Most pharmacys seem to stock the blue version

Basically all and also outside the pharmaceutical booth, self service.

If that is what you look for.

It is labeled "Ethyl Alcohol 70%".

Ethyl <> Isopropyl? Is it the same?

EDIT: it's not the same.

I use it as "rubbing alcohol", for disinfection.

f-mt-026-1.jpg

A search reveals misc. "brands" of isopropyl alcohol in Thailand.

Interestingly one looks exactly as the picture above, just labeled "Isopropyl Alcohol".

I can't tell whether you get this everywhere.

Pharmacy. Show them the pic below if they don't understand.

Label on the bottle I have reads:

Alcohol Sahakarn, Isopropyl Alcohol 70%

The United Drug (1996) Co., Ltd, Minburi Bangkok Tel: 0-2543-8210-2

I'm sure I've seen the blue type (above) with a 70% Isopropyl Alcohol label.

IA.JPG

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

However, I have been to a dozen pharmacies, those opposite Rajwithi and Chula hospitals, as well as those in Lotus, Big C, Emporium, etc., and none have it. One pharmacist told me it is now very difficult of find. It should be isopropyl, not ethyl; I use as recommended for cleaning sinus rinse bottles. Last year I bought in those big blue bottles, but even then it was uncommonly stocked. Kkerry, where did you get the bottle you showed? Thanks.

Now that you mention it, I think you're correct about the isopropyl type being difficult to find now. I took a look at my local 7-Eleven and only saw the ethyl variety. I recall being told the blue ethyl type can kill you if you try to drink it, whereas isopropyl apparently won't (you'd have to be a screaming alcoholic to drink either),  Maybe that's why places have stopped selling the isopropyl version.

The one I have was has a manufactured date of 22/07/17. I didn't buy it myself and my wife can't remember the pharmacy she purchased it from (but outside of Bangkok).

Try calling the manufacturer I listed? Their website doesn't work but they have a Facebook page. Maybe hardware stores stock it? They do in some other countries.

If you know anyone visiting the Philippines, it is available in every supermarket there. Green Cross is one common brand available in either variety (clear coloured). It's also commonly used for cleaning old thermal paste off CPU heatsinks so you could ask a computer repair shop if they use it, and if so where they get it from.

IA GC.jpg

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Pretty sure I bought one of those blue bottles within the past year.

My wife bought that the other day ... from the big pharmacy which is 3-400meters further up the road from Ngam Wong Wan Mall and on the opposite side of the road. It has a car park.

Both Ethyl and Isopropyl alcohol can be used for medical disinfecting, they are produced using different manufacturing processes. I've never been in a pharmacy, Tesco or Big C that didn't stock the 70% bottle shown in post #4 or a comparable product. The Big C in Surin displays it in the first-aid section, but Pure Pharmacy across the aisle had a lower price where I bought a bottle in early December. 

21 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

I've never been in a pharmacy, Tesco or Big C that didn't stock the 70% bottle shown in post #4 or a comparable product

Agreed, there is no problem finding the bottle pictured in post #4 in any pharmacy, Tesco or Big C... but what's pictured is #4 is Ethyl not Isopropyl alcohol... I looked in a small pharmacy I walk past near where I live today and they had Ethyl but not Isopropyl on the shelf, so I can believe the OP when they say it's not easy to find.

Kkerry, I finally found the bottle you showed, at the 7/11. I missed at first since the Thai-language side is displayed on the shelf. But it's a tiny 30-ml bottle and 12 baht. So if anyone does come across the big bottles, pls let me know. 

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Siribuncha Corporation make both the products pictured below. The one on the left you find in almost every Thai household. The one on the right is the Isopropyl version. I found it today in a large pharmacy, the only brand they stocked alongside several different bottles of Ethyl alcohol. Maybe it is a newer design to avoid confusion. I paid 35 baht (450ml) but their website lists it at 75 baht (55bt for Ethyl).

Website says available at Seven, Tesco, Watsons and Boots. The 0% milk I prefer is sold in only one of five Seven Elevens near me, and I suspect the Isopropyl variety is also not sold in every branch, certainly isn't in the fairly large Seven near me when I checked again today.

EA2.jpg

Archived