Update: New Thai immigration rules for income!

13 minutes ago, kannot said:

IS  Thai  Thai  Elite 20 year visa  now  looking a  better long  term  prospect?

If you're more than 50, Thai elite is wastage of money. You can get an O-A and come and go easy for two years. No questions asked. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks for posting that.

All unofficial at this point, since it hasn't been formally announced by Immigration. But what you describe above very much sounds like the way many of us were expecting Immigration to go on the issue of monthly income documentation.

So, if the above is correct, then as many have feared, this will rule out keeping money in applicants' home bank accounts and then being able to show home country documents such as government pension statements, military pension statements, Social Security, bank interest, etc etc.

e information I got is that they will still accept the income letters from the embassies.  ".  UN quote.

13 hours ago, Spidey said:

I still wonder how you prove that the 65k baht is from your home country. Foreign transfers aren't always clear in some bank books.

I agree! Also what if your pension is not from your home country? Do you need to pay it first into a bank in your home country and then transfer to Thailand? That would mean paying two transfer fees.

So in fact no change from 15 years ago , still questions about the dual system 400 k in the bank and topping up monthly to make 65 k, but then I expect unless the rules are changed and promulgated in a Royal Gazette decree, then it is the same, they are just working around the zero income letters and many of us will have to either deposit monies or make the monthly transfer. 

20 minutes ago, madmen said:

That's the proof. No other proof is required
Suggesting TI Will make sign some legal document based on '" body language "? Followed by handcuffs..

Kind of grasping at straws me thinks

Maybe but I think it is also grasping to say, while the the recirculating deposit modus operandi seems to be obvious to many on here, that Thai IMM will just be oblivious to the possibility and do nothing about it. Maybe they know about and will still do nothing.

I don't really care. I bring in more that the 65K+ baht monthly anyway now via FTT transfer so no big deal to me.

3 hours ago, amexpat said:

I didn't watch the video because:

I used Transferwise last week. Money from the USA hit my BKK account the next day.

The Bangkok Bank account statement identifies it as "International Transfer".

Do you get the same "International Transfer" ID with every transfer from Transferwise?

When I send money, according to my Transferwise statement, the initial receiving bank varies between Bangkok Bank and TMB.

If opening and sending money to a Bangkok bank account means an International Transfer is always recorded, that would solve a problem.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That would only apply for those getting extensions based upon marriage and that is already covered in the existing police order for required documents that state income tax returns are accepted.

I have PR so not affected, just curious about folks who have a smaller pension plus some other local legitimate regular income. Would that be accepted?

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well, if the scenario that unfolds required 12x65k transfers from outside Thailand into a Thai account, your extension based on income, just maybe got rejected! 

What Thai Bank do you send money to?

A monthly bank transfer is more expensive in fees than what I do now; transfer 5K UKP; when it runs out, repeat.  The total for a year always surpasses 800,000.  Surely a list of these sporadic payments in each visa year would serve the same process?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

So in fact no change from 15 years ago , still questions about the dual system 400 k in the bank and topping up monthly to make 65 k, but then I expect unless the rules are changed and promulgated in a Royal Gazette decree, then it is the same, they are just working around the zero income letters and many of us will have to either deposit monies or make the monthly transfer. 

What has been seen is a draft copy of the Thai language amendments to the Police order 138/2557 concerning the proof of funds when using the income method for extensions of stays based on being over 50, being married to a Thai & raising half-Thai children. 

It was issued on the 21st and is stamped the 26th of Dec

The banked money method is unchanged, the requisite funds in a Thai bank account in your name for the seasoning period before you apply for your extension.

-For countries that still issue the income affidavit they will still be accepted like normal.

-For countries that don't issue them any more you need to show 40K baht (for marriage/raising kids) per month (every month). This can be in the form of tax statements based on employment here in Thailand OR in transfers to a Thai bank account from overseas for 12 months before you apply for your extension and for retirement you need to show 65K baht a month per month (every month) for 12 months before you apply for your extension.

40 minutes ago, madmen said:

Guys that have families and under 65 k are desperate to stay. The only 2 options are agents and merry go round. Both illegal. If I was in that position I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

Thank you. That attitude is in no small part why we are in this state of affairs right now.

• Like 2

Just did my retire extension in Chiang Mai and yes they took the Embassy letter and my overseas bank statements but the officer told me that next time I need to have the 800 in the bank. I got my partner to question another officer in Thai and she asked him if I could do the 65000 transfer into my Thai bank account every month and he said no it has to be the 800 in the bank, so I don't think Chiang Mai are up to date with this new requirement as mentioned in the earlier posts

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Absolutely -- all I have said is that it would be very easy for them to have you sign a one-paragraph statement that you are not re-circulating funds and, if you are, you have filed a false police report.

Hard to prove it’s a crime, your organising your own finances is what your doing, they cannot audit your banking transactions surely!If so it’s over the top intrusion ,give me the agent anyway!

Absolutely -- all I have said is that it would be very easy for them to have you sign a one-paragraph statement that you are not re-circulating funds and, if you are, you have filed a false police report.
No one except you will care about that. What will stop it becoming popular is the FX loss for every transaction

I wonder if I transfere 65000 Baht into my Thai account every month from Denmark, then I will not have  enough money left in my danish bank to pay my bills and daily consumption. My queation is, Do you think it will be OK I withdraw money from Thaiaccount monthly  while in Denmark.  If they just want to see the proof of me being able to have 65000 B to put into my thaiaccount, then they have it.  Whatever is left in the end of the month should not concern TI ?

Ofcours I will loose money with this sort of transactions, but that's the  price i have to pay for having another years extention.  I hope I have expressed myself in an understandable way,

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:
10 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

No one except you will care about that. What will stop it becoming popular is the FX loss for every transaction

Or the inclusion in the second part of the amendment regarding seasoning and repatriation of funds..........

1 hour ago, cleverman said:

e information I got is that they will still accept the income letters from the embassies.  ".  UN quote.

Yes, sorry, my prior comments were in the context of the US, UK, and few other embassies that are no longer issuing income letters as of 2019.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I hope so but I'm confused. Lets say your dollar income is 1500 usd monthly. So you transfer that in monthly and the baht amount will be different each time. So what they do? Add up 12 unique baht transfers and then that would be the basis to figure the needed Thai bank account balance?
Or something else?
Would they require the baht amount to be the same each time?
What if you had a glitch and missed a month so next month you transfer in two months?
It seems to me that people will be taking risk using that method compared to the money in the bank method if immigration as they tend to do lacks flexibility.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'm quite sure they mean at least 65K and not exactly 65K.  So to be safe, I would deposit at least 66K.  As far a a "glitch" goes, you will be showing a 24 month history.  It should be relatively east for them to understand, but you never know.  The money in the bank method is easier but there will be quite a few who don't have that much money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longcut said:

I deposit every month to Krung Thai Bank from my bank in the U.S. None of my deposits show coming from overseas. How are they going to treat that? As far as I know only Bangkok 
Bank show deposits as a foreign transaction. (FTT). My deposits show up as BDS22.

I bank with SCB, and my transfers from my 'home account' are routed (presumably via SCB HO or Bangkok bank) before arriving in my SCB account.

Presumably my SCB branch will be happy to provide a letter confirming that the money transferred originally comes from abroad?  For a fee of course.