Pros/Cons of CM

HuskerDo

Would folks be willing to list 3 or 4 pros and cons about living in Chiang Mai? We all know about the hot weather in the spring and summer and the rats and mosquitos. We also hear about so many times where a Thai woman will steal a farangs heart just prior to stealing their wallet/money. We all know how crazy the visa situation is getting these days. We all hear about how great the food is(I honestly don't get that one as you can get great food in any country and without bugs in it. The steaks and pizzas are far better in other countries for example). Just please list a few pros/cons to sell someone on wanting to live there long term. Thanks all!!

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

We all hear about how great the food is(I honestly don't get that one as you can get great food in any country and without bugs in it. The steaks and pizzas are far better in other countries for example).

You don't think there are bugs in the food in every other country? Look it up - all western countries have legal limits of bugs and rat shit, etc. in their food - it's unavoidable, even with western hygiene standards.

Steak and pizza are better in the countries where steak and pizza are staple foods. In Thailand you will find the best THAI food (but also some quite decent steaks and pizzas). 

34 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

We also hear about so many times where a Thai woman will steal a farangs heart just prior to stealing their wallet/money.

I heard that this can happen all over the world, and that men can also cheat women.

I don't live in CM but I have visited a couple of times, and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. It's a beautiful and historical city/province.

However, my only issue is, being an asthma sufferer I have to avoid the burning season, so I couldn't live there.

To answer your question - for me personally.

Pros :-

History/places of interest, Good public transport, Wide variety of dining options, Moderate cost of living, Good shopping malls (sorry, that's 5).

Cons :-

Burning season (that's it).

You mentioned it, the one thing that put me off is the immigration office, couldnt cope with that.

Food and daily needs are the same price anywhere in Thailand, except maybe Phuket or Samui but the major stores have a one price system, so citing cheap living is a myth. 

In fact for me there isnt a pro.

9 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

You don't think there are bugs in the food in every other country? Look it up - all western countries have legal limits of bugs and rat shit, etc. in their food - it's unavoidable, even with western hygiene standards. 

Steak and pizza are better in the countries where steak and pizza are staple foods. In Thailand you will find the best THAI food (but also some quite decent steaks and pizzas). 

I heard that this can happen all over the world, and that men can also cheat women.

I don't live in CM but I have visited a couple of times, and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. It's a beautiful and historical city/province.

However, my only issue is, being an asthma sufferer I have to avoid the burning season, so I couldn't live there.

To answer your question - for me personally.

Pros :-

History/places of interest, Good public transport, Wide variety of dining options, Moderate cost of living, Good shopping malls (sorry, that's 5).

Cons :-

Burning season (that's it).

Thanks Chickenlegs. When you say "all western countries have legal limits of bugs and rat shit, etc. in their food - it's unavoidable,

even with western hygiene standards. " Well not really true depending on what country/city/restaurant you are referring to but that's exactly my point. The West at least HAS standards and they still have issues with hygiene. It seems like Thailand has ZERO standards thus it far far worse. Buy a bowl of noodles and see ants or other things floating in it and if you complain they fix it by scooping out the bugs. Nice!! ???? 

8 minutes ago, baansgr said:

You mentioned it, the one thing that put me off is the immigration office, couldnt cope with that.

Food and daily needs are the same price anywhere in Thailand, except maybe Phuket or Samui but the major stores have a one price system, so citing cheap living is a myth. 

Thanks Baan. Can I surmise from your response that you don't live there?

18 minutes ago, baansgr said:

I agree with your comment about the Immigration  Office (I only gain my information from reports here on TV), but it does appear to be getting better.

Cheap living no longer exists in Thailand - unless you are happy to live as the Thais do.

I think that the cost of living here is "moderate", compared to the west (in my case, UK). In other words, about the same, except for house ownership/rental which is far more expensive in the UK.

29 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Thanks Baan. Can I surmise from your response that you don't live there?

I dont live there no. About 3 years ago i wanted to relocate from the Westcoast and chose Krabi over Chiang Mai for a number of reasons. However Krabi also has its cons, weather was the worst, rain, rain and more rain, got burgled as did many expats living in Ao Nang but cost of living there including accommodation was the same as anywhere else...except nightlife bars. 

46 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I agree with your comment about the Immigration  Office (I only gain my information from reports here on TV), but it does appear to be getting better.

Cheap living no longer exists in Thailand - unless you are happy to live as the Thais do.

I think that the cost of living here is "moderate", compared to the west (in my case, UK). In other words, about the same, except for house ownership/rental which is far more expensive in the UK.

I find your "cheap living" comment rather interesting Chickenlegs. I think it's cheap in Chiang Mai. I planned on an $1800 US monthly budget over there and understand I'll have a VERY comfortable lifestyle on that amount.  

1 minute ago, HuskerDo said:

I find your "cheap living" comment rather interesting Chickenlegs. I think it's cheap in Chiang Mai. I planned on an $1800 US monthly budget over there and understand I'll have a VERY comfortable lifestyle on that amount.  

My point is that it is possible to live cheaply in Thailand, but not if you are expecting to eat great steaks and pizzas every day (in your OP you made reference to this).

IME - the daily cost of living here in Thailand is comparable to the UK (except for housing costs, which are very much higher in the UK). My monthly budget is a little more than yours, but I wouldn't describe it as "VERY comfortable", just moderate.

Of course, we all have our different ideas of what is "comfortable", "luxurious", "moderate", etc.

you found lots of cliches... and the bugs ARE the food...

Living in Thailand in general, the fascinating part is the people and culture... it takes some time to recognize that it is a different culture and mindset... learning some language and being open helps...

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

We also hear about so many times where a Thai woman will steal a farangs heart just prior to stealing their wallet/money.

I find that both my heart and wallet are under my control... not that I don't give either/both but I give what I want and especially as to the $, I do not give with an ulterior motive, I give because I want to help someone less fortunate, and expect nothing back. 

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

My point is that it is possible to live cheaply in Thailand, but not if you are expecting to eat great steaks and pizzas every day (in your OP you made reference to this).

IME - the daily cost of living here in Thailand is comparable to the UK (except for housing costs, which are very much higher in the UK). My monthly budget is a little more than yours, but I wouldn't describe it as "VERY comfortable", just moderate.

Of course, we all have our different ideas of what is "comfortable", "luxurious", "moderate", etc.

Very true. We all have our opinions on what is comfortable to them. I didn't plan on eating steak and pizza all the time. ???? I just pointed out that the pizza places at home are what a person gets used to and loves and the steaks in the US are the best in the world by far. I don't eat much red meat at all but that doesn't mean that once a year I'll turn down a great steak dinner. ????

I budgeted $1800 as I want to continue to add to my savings with the rest. I think $1800 will give me the life style I want.

48 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I find that both my heart and wallet are under my control... not that I don't give either/both but I give what I want and especially as to the $, I do not give with an ulterior motive, I give because I want to help someone less fortunate, and expect nothing back. 

Yes, as with me I'm in control and no woman will pry away from me what is mine. I've been thru that and didn't get married as I saw what was coming. I also give to the needy but I have to be sure they are truly in need. In that case I'm open to giving and giving.

There are many very good and not expensive restaurants in Chiang Mai. The trick is finding them, then keeping them a secret.

Pros - Low rental costs, good infrastructure of hospitals. Low food costs.

Cons - Smoke season, traffic if driving a car. Ridiculous cost of wine.

6 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

IME - the daily cost of living here in Thailand is comparable to the UK

Horse Hockey

Went to Sausage King yesterday for breakfast, and to stock up on some Western meals.

Big breakfast - 2 poached eggs, 2 toast, black pudding, back bacon 3 pieces, 3 breakfast suasage, fried potatoes, beans, mug of English breakfast - 169 baht

In the west - Canada - that would be at least $20.00 or 460 baht - 3 times the price.

We cook mostly at home - 95% - and do not spend 30K baht per month for 3 people. And that includes fuel to travel 25km to Macro

OP - $1800 US easily doable.

Pro:

Cheaper cost of living (rental and food) compared to Bangkok

Cooler weather in Dec and Jan

People are more friendly 

Con:

No beach

Seafood is more expensive

Public transport is worse than Bangkok (no BTS, public buses) but is improving (with recent limited public buses)

Hotter weather in Apr and May

8 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I am sorry to say this

I dont know where you are getting your information from

It is certainly not from Thai Visa

I go to England and Australia regularly

I can say this with any shadow of doubt

IT Is Cheaper To Live In Thailand

i think you need to look at JC and his youtube Videos

This will give you a better understanding of everything

Including living in other placed in Thailand and other countries

I am not a member of his Web site

But use his videos to keep in contact with what is going on

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaFkikJlZQrlCw2LUtHLNg

First, let me acknowledge that I live in Chiang Rai and not Chiang Mai but we have friends there and service one of our cars there, so we visit at least a few times each year.  I am surprised no one has mentioned what can be accessed outside of Chiang Mai, as in nature and road trips.

After thirty years in Bangkok, the main draw for me in the North was trails for hiking, great country roads for cycling or motorcycling, rivers, lakes, waterfalls, and mountains.  I have pets up here and never miss a sunset.  I couldn't say the same about my life in Bangkok.  Just yesterday we hiked up to two local reservoirs from our house.  Sunsets are spectacular and the mountains majestic.

284198244_2019-1.jpg.ce13eea23faf6b97f774ebd1474e3067.jpg

724102129_2019-2.jpg.5e572249674e63358156b19569eaaf5f.jpg

385034688_BanSaeo-19.jpg.ed3bf2a9ac7249fdf6f85e7fa15b272b.jpg

844096644_DoiPhaMon-22.jpg.dc7efbc7e37c78a170604f7715652586.jpg

Many pros / cons are not absolute; it depends on who you are and what are your needs. Single guys will have different priorities than families. If you look to be active in the dating scene I don't think CM is for you, go to Bangkok or (when you're older :)) Pattaya. If you hope to find a job then obviously look elsewhere.

In my perspective -

Pros:

- Very affordable accommodation when you require a house (over a condo).

- Being close to nature. Easy for day trips. I love the green mountains all around.

- Big enough to have proper facilities - medical, shopping malls, variety of restaurants and happenings.

- More affordable international schools compared to Bangkok. A better selection of intl school compared to other cities / regions apart from Bkk.

- Agreeable climate. I wouldn't be able to stand the constant heat and humidity of Phuket for example.

Cons:

- Air pollution due to burning - both on a local and regional level.

- Traffic gets too congested at times.

- Being far from the beach. Not a big deal really. Just trying to find something to write here ????

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Went to Sausage King yesterday for breakfast, and to stock up on some Western meals.

Big breakfast - 2 poached eggs, 2 toast, black pudding, back bacon 3 pieces, 3 breakfast suasage, fried potatoes, beans, mug of English breakfast - 169 baht

In the west - Canada - that would be at least $20.00 or 460 baht - 3 times the price.

I am amazed by the high food prices in the USA every time I go there, and on top of the high menu prices you have added taxes and then a massive tip is expected. So anything here should be many times cheaper. It's much cheaper in the UK and Europe also. You could get that breakfast in Spain for 5 Euros (under 200B), which for me makes Thailand look expensive.

Pros:

- Northern Thais are very friendly 

- Very safe city (roads excluded) 

- The cool season is wonderful

- Mountain views 

Cons:

- Traffic is horrible

- The red trucks are a cancer 

- It’s basically little China 

- Burn season (leave if you can)

55 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

ferangs not the same anymore, too many poor Internet young bums ,or whatever they call em

I suppose they replaced the old retired bums married to bar girls.

Archived