Pros/Cons of CM

HuskerDo

6 minutes ago, Dick Crank said:

After a year you will find yourself going to the same places day in and day out and your out of options. The city is limited as to new activities.

Not our experience.  12 years here and still finding places we have never been.  We go out most weeks.  Always new places opening up, even outside the city.  The city is growing at a fast pace, and more and more shops, entertainment venues, restaurants and bars are opening each week.

Perhaps you need to widen your friend circle, to include lots of Thais too.. as they seem to love going to new places for whatever is 'in' at the moment.  

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Not our experience.  12 years here and still finding places we have never been.  We go out most weeks.  Always new places opening up, even outside the city.  The city is growing at a fast pace, and more and more shops, entertainment venues, restaurants and bars are opening each week.

Perhaps you need to widen your friend circle, to include lots of Thais too.. as they seem to love going to new places for whatever is 'in' at the moment.  

What do you do the rest of the week?

1 hour ago, Dick Crank said:

After a year you will find yourself going to the same places day in and day out and your out of options. The city is limited as to new activities.

There are always options. Jak seems to find them along with many others. On the other hand going to the same places isn't a poor option as you wouldn't go there if you didn't like being there. Many people all over the world go to the same restaurants often or the same bars, etc. It's because they like the food and/or comradery of the people you've come to know there. 

1 hour ago, Dick Crank said:

No way , there are always new places opening frequently , the only gripe is that many dont last too long , gone within a year or so

Often, people who view Thailand as a cultural petting zoo, focus on cost and what they see as exotic or different, will find that the novelty wears off and they don’t have the capacity to move past their own limited imagination.  That is when they get bored and think the grass might be greener somewhere else.  Who knows, for them they may be right and perhaps it is time for them to move on.

Even as long as I have been here, I am not bored and find new and interesting things to do in life.

54 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

Often, people who view Thailand as a cultural petting zoo, focus on cost and what they see as exotic or different, will find that the novelty wears off

I still enjoy petting the local women

The novelty hasn't worn off and I've been at it ten years now.

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I still enjoy petting the local women

The novelty hasn't worn off and I've been at it ten years now.

I've found that women from Pattaya love a few days vacation in CM.  They never tire of going to the same places and I rather enjoy acting as the tour guide and boiling eggs in the hot springs before the massage and the beer. 

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:36 PM, Dick Crank said:

What do you do the rest of the week?

Many things!  We have a 4 rai fruit orchard, various livestock, building projects, new house build, travel about on our big bikes to areas around Chiang Mai, parties at home or at friends houses, friends and guests / family come to visit and stay for a holiday, and we enjoy taking them around Chiang Mai to see the sights, go to the markets, cycling, swimming, photography and birdwatching, and many more things, plus we have a varied selection of local bars and restaurants (3 new ones opened last month) around our house.  We also visit a prison to give money and buy food for some of the prisoners, help with hilltribe and Shan State people to get registered with the Thai government to be able to work legally here.  

What I meant was we usually go into Chiang Mai city at once or twice a week to the restaurants, shops, bars or cinema etc there, and we still have not found our selves getting bored and only going to the same places every weeks.  Like I said there is plenty to do here.

On 1/11/2019 at 10:15 AM, Lacessit said:

I was not aware I needed your permission for anything. Make my day - please expound on the "much more" you consider you have extended to me. By PM if the mods are tired of us being off topic.

Are you OCD? Not a criticism, I have some of the traits. You do seem to have a burning desire to have the last word - I've noticed it before in other threads.

i've noticed that with almost EVERYONE on this forum.  Could possibly be a farang trait ?  ( But, I will agree

that mr smB  has even a higher than average need to win.  strong teeth that dog

On 1/12/2019 at 7:27 AM, BritManToo said:

Went out last night in Mae Rim, had a nice dinner and got a bit drunk with a Thai guy, total cost to me 120bht (including tip for the waitress).

You got a bit drunk on 120 baht? You must be slowing down.

6 minutes ago, rumak said:

i've noticed that with almost EVERYONE on this forum.  Could possibly be a farang trait ?  ( But, I will agree

that mr smB  has even a higher than average need to win.  strong teeth that dog

Quite strong in terms of being condescending and belittling. The strength of his arguments is a different story.

On 1/5/2019 at 8:52 AM, hyku1147 said:

If you want to find a girlfriend anywhere in Thailand, never tell them that you have big money; however, always tell them that you can give them money for family and daily expenses. Then you become "jai dee" without being seen as a potential target.

Only a total idiot would do what you have mentioned above. Who the hell tells a gf that you can give them money for family and daily expenses? lol

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Quite strong in terms of being condescending and belittling. The strength of his arguments is a different story.

i had an "argument" with him once .   My strength was being able to resist doing it more than once

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:17 PM, HAKAPALITA said:

Anyone remember Duffle Coats and the types that wore them.Reminds me of posters here.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Hmmmmm. I recently found my duffel coat with it's many badges from around the world. I think I'll have to start wearing it again, just for you.

41 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hmmmmm. I recently found my duffel coat with it's many badges from around the world. I think I'll have to start wearing it again, just for you.

Those Duffers scared me, Beards, Lefty Types, Baning the Bomb, the hatred of anyone rich, a smell like a wet Dog and that was just the Women.:burp:.

On 1/11/2019 at 8:31 PM, sanemax said:

No way , there are always new places opening frequently , the only gripe is that many dont last too long , gone within a year or so

Because they are not places worth visiting more than once. 

Reading through all of these pages shows one of the biggest cons of all... too many expats who dislike each other.

I have lived in a lot of different countries over the years and Thailand has the worst expat community I’ve ever seen.

4 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

I think its a good Spirit.We Old Coffin Dodgers look down on Millennial shouldn’t be here and their dislike of Work, they enjoy keying nice Cars.. Same the World over.????emoji481.png⚖️

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Never heard the phrase "Old Coffin Dodgers" before. That's a good one Haka. ???? 

Archived