Pros/Cons of CM

HuskerDo

Chiang Mai is broken, there are no plans to fix it, just keep adding more and more to the dereliction. Footpaths, roads buildings, especially in the city are an eyesore. Anyone with mobility issues will find it adds spice to their life big time.

On a plus point, the people are pretty much OK, not overly friendly, but not in your face and not stand offish.

Edited due to memory lapse -

I almost forgot, should you be here on retirement or marriage extension, you will be subjected to the absolute worst immigration office in the whole of Thailand! It is an amazing and wonderful experience, never to be forgotten. I saw on some of those weirdo fetish sites, grown men pay good money to be beaten, humiliated and basically treat like dirt - Well, you can get all that and more for the 1900 Baht yearly fee up at the Airport office.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For golfers: pretty cheap, high-quality courses. Beware, the caddy tip adds about 50% to the cost.

For cyclists: quiet rural roads. Ride all day in the flat valley, or climb hills. The choice is yours.

Northern food: khao soi is just the start. Check out Heuan Phen for the real deal: mashed eggplant, grilled chicken, mashed jackfruit, gaeng hunglay.

The gentle friendly people, especially if you can communicate in Thai. If not, smiles open doors.

Cons: the traffic, and the idiot drivers. The unpredictable motorbikes, the privileged leadfoots, and the oblivious, tentative drivers with two wheels in the bike lane, whose solution to everything is to step on the brake when they're already going too slow.

Frankly, the air doesn't bother me, even in March.

Songkran is a pain.

6 hours ago, Foxy52 said:

I live within the moat and really like being woken up early by the chanting monks doing their alms bit

Not only within the moat. I live in a Moo Baan about 10 k's south of town, by the canal, and here there are also chanting and music in the morning. In a loudspeaker. But the worst thing is when they do have rock conserts near the Night Safari. Awful. Otherwise I know that the ppl here and in Isaan are genuinely nice and helpful. Not like BKK and south of there. Experiance since 1989.

13 hours ago, baansgr said:

You mentioned it, the one thing that put me off is the immigration office, couldnt cope with that.

Food and daily needs are the same price anywhere in Thailand, except maybe Phuket or Samui but the major stores have a one price system, so citing cheap living is a myth. 

In fact for me there isnt a pro.

Yes, a can of Heinz baked beans is the same price in Big C in both Bangkok and Chiang Mai and that means the cost of living is the same in CM & BKK

1 hour ago, Formaleins said:

you will be subjected to the absolute worst immigration office in the whole of Thailand!

Yes, it was bad before, but since the move to the old (new) place, it's much better according to reports.

14 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

Just please list a few pros/cons to sell someone on wanting to live there long term.

The hiking, cycling and trail running are unbeatable (jungles, temples, lakes and waterfalls), never been anywhere else like it in the world. You can go on your own, or there are always other people willing to join in.

Well to my way of thinking, I appreciate the Thai and Hilltribe cultures that thrive in and around Chiangmai Mai as compared to most of the rest of Thailand. Also the weather although horrific throughout most of the year is still waaaay better than Bangkok or the south.

on the negative side are the drivers. Compared to the Bangkok drivers, the ones up in the Chiangmai Mai area are far worse with absolute disregard for ANY road rules. Since the cops do not enforce any of the rules one has to assume that it is their form of population control.

6 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Horse Hockey

Went to Sausage King yesterday for breakfast, and to stock up on some Western meals.

Big breakfast - 2 poached eggs, 2 toast, black pudding, back bacon 3 pieces, 3 breakfast suasage, fried potatoes, beans, mug of English breakfast - 169 baht

In the west - Canada - that would be at least $20.00 or 460 baht - 3 times the price.

We cook mostly at home - 95% - and do not spend 30K baht per month for 3 people. And that includes fuel to travel 25km to Macro

OP - $1800 US easily doable.

I personally think one of the biggest mistakes people make is to not include private health insurance cover, you would be leaving yourself open to the public system here if you don't allow at least $1,800US for private health cover.

If single the amount he is referring to per month is reduced to 11 months, therefore it's $1,650 per month, and if your looking at running a car, rego, insurance, maintenance and fuel costs add up.

What about a trip back to the US to see family or friends annually, domestic flights here, hotel, car hire dining out, etc, etc

I mean sure if your going to be eating cheaply (Thai) and being froogle you should live modestly on that kind of money, but for me, I have done the math by writing down everything I have paid for everyday throughout 365 days a year and to live a comfortable life here you need 100,000 baht per month, a moderate life 50,000 baht per month, anything below that is going to be the pensioners humble life.

I will add that, that I enjoy my Thai/French quality meat, good imported red wine, the company of young ladies occasionally, good household appliances, good private health cover, a modern car, nice clothes, trips overseas annually and domestic holidays, so on 100,000 baht a month, it's a comfortable life, and I wouldn't want it any other way.  

As for Chang Mai, I have heard that the smoke problem there is so bad that a lot of people have moved on for cleaner air quality and smoke is something I loath, so he might want to look at a coastal area where you at least get those seabreezes, just a thought as opposed to heavily smoked out areas.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I am amazed by the high food prices in the USA every time I go there, and on top of the high menu prices you have added taxes and then a massive tip is expected. So anything here should be many times cheaper. It's much cheaper in the UK and Europe also. You could get that breakfast in Spain for 5 Euros (under 200B), which for me makes Thailand look expensive.

Last time I checked 169 Baht is less than 200 Baht that breakfast would cost you if you lived in Spain. 

13 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I personally think one of the biggest mistakes people make is to not include private health insurance cover, you would be leaving yourself open to the public system here if you don't allow at least $1,800US for private health cover.

As for Chang Mai, I have heard that the smoke problem there is so bad that a lot of people have moved on for cleaner air quality

But I'm not a sick old man, and if I ever were that sick (for whatever reason) I'd prefer to die.

Again, I'm not a sick old man, my lungs can cope with a bit of smoke some times in the year.

11 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I mean sure if your going to be eating cheaply (Thai) and being froogle you should live modestly on that kind of money,

In the UK I cooked all my own food at home.

In Thailand I cook all my own food at home.

It's much cheaper in Thailand.

2 hours ago, jimmysjo said:

. Otherwise I know that the ppl here and in Isaan are genuinely nice and helpful. Not like BKK and south of there. Experiance since 1989.

Some of us would like to know more details on your experience with not-so-nice people in Bangkok and southern Thailand.

56 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The pros are getting a bit old.

But the hiking and cycling in and around CM is 1st class.

When you are 79 years old as I am, hiking and bi+ycling is not considered especially attractive.

2 minutes ago, Kurtf said:

When you are 79 years old as I am, hiking and bi+ycling is not considered especially attractive.

Who wants to be 79 years old?

Not me, at 62 I'm pretty much finished (mentally not physically).

I'm only hanging in here in the hopes for recreational cannabis.

3 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Lived there years ago, been back a few times , ferangs not the same anymore, too many poor Internet young bums ,or whatever they call em

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Digital Gonads.  They call them digital gonads.

Chiang mai is crazy busy these days, roads always seem choked unless it's 2am.
Other than rents/buy property which are cheaper, if you live like a westerner it's not that cheap, but it can be with a little attention, Thai street food is still cheap, a decent meal can be found for £2 or £3 = $4. Go shopping for supplies at the morning markets, not the malls (Airport central/Kad suan keuw). Accomodation/living expenses even cheaper out from Chiang mai a bit (Mae rim - San Patong - Lamphun - San Kampaeng). Buying a car is crazy expensive, but fuel is a little cheaper. Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec lovely weather, not to hot with cool evenings/mornings, in April live in the shopping malls all day (air con) or go back to UK for a visit, it's crazy hot, 44c every day with the occasional 45c. But electricity to run the A/C is cheap.

43 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Some of us would like to know more details on your experience with not-so-nice people in Bangkok and southern Thailand.

Interestingly, there is an old adage that the further North you go in Thailand, the nicer the people are.... How true if you ask me.

I lived in the South for 13 years and in Chaing Mai for 3. Every day literally was a challenge (especially if involved in any business) in the South. The North was a breeze, the people, a delight to be around. And I should add that my wife is from Cha Uat, so I'm not being bias!!!

Don't get me wrong, on reflection, I had a great time throughout in the Kingdom....

5 hours ago, villagefarang said:

First, let me acknowledge that I live in Chiang Rai and not Chiang Mai but we have friends there and service one of our cars there, so we visit at least a few times each year.  I am surprised no one has mentioned what can be accessed outside of Chiang Mai, as in nature and road trips.

After thirty years in Bangkok, the main draw for me in the North was trails for hiking, great country roads for cycling or motorcycling, rivers, lakes, waterfalls, and mountains.  I have pets up here and never miss a sunset.  I couldn't say the same about my life in Bangkok.  Just yesterday we hiked up to two local reservoirs from our house.  Sunsets are spectacular and the mountains majestic.

284198244_2019-1.jpg.ce13eea23faf6b97f774ebd1474e3067.jpg

724102129_2019-2.jpg.5e572249674e63358156b19569eaaf5f.jpg

385034688_BanSaeo-19.jpg.ed3bf2a9ac7249fdf6f85e7fa15b272b.jpg

844096644_DoiPhaMon-22.jpg.dc7efbc7e37c78a170604f7715652586.jpg

Phu Chi Fa, right?

IMHO Chiang Rai is a better launch point for many of the more remote sightseeing points than Chiang Mai. Once you've been to Doi Saket, the Samoeng loop, Doi Inthanon, Doi Suthep and San Kamphaeng Hot springs, there really isn't much left.

1 hour ago, Kurtf said:

Last time I checked 169 Baht is less than 200 Baht that breakfast would cost you if you lived in Spain. 

Yes, but Spain is a richer country where people earn real wages and pay real taxes, not to mention where laws are respected and the word hygiene means something. I expect things to be cheaper in countries like Thailand.

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Phu Chi Fa, right?

IMHO Chiang Rai is a better launch point for many of the more remote sightseeing points than Chiang Mai. Once you've been to Doi Saket, the Samoeng loop, Doi Inthanon, Doi Suthep and San Kamphaeng Hot springs, there really isn't much left.

Plenty of beautiful, remote places to see near Chiang Mai if you can be bothered to search them out & get off the tourist trail.  Not going to list them here ????

Pro's: access to just about anything you want in high end tech, excellent and varied foods and a wide range of entertainment.

Con's: dangerous and often overwhelming traffic and mostly horrible air quality.

To any naysayers, I've been close enough for 25 years to have seen it better and to now know better. 

26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Phu Chi Fa, right?

You missed out sticky waterfall and Mon Chairm, Mae Sa waterfall, Ob Khan National Park, The Canyon .........

(Doi Saket? Why would anyone want to go there?)

27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Phu Chi Fa, right?

People tend to know Phu Chi Fa and perhaps Pha Tang but between those two well known Phu’s are a few less well known.  The one in my original post is a relatively new location called Pha Mon, and there is also Phu Chi Dao and Phu Chi Duan.

This shot was taken at Phu Chi Fa.

1228186558_PhuChiFa-1.jpg.68d4fda1eea2b6d461c321e5dbf3bf64.jpg

28 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Yes, but Spain is a richer country where people earn real wages and pay real taxes, not to mention where laws are respected and the word hygiene means something. I expect things to be cheaper in countries like Thailand.

You clearly haven't been recently, it's full of beggars and hookers now with 25%+ youth unemployment.

It's nothing like it was 30-40 years back.

Just now, BritManToo said:

You clearly haven't been recently, it's full of beggars and hookers now with 25%+ youth unemployment.

It's nothing like it was 30-40 years back.

I was there last year. The parts I went to seemed OK to me, and they were exactly the parts where full English breakfasts are pretty common. A beer or a coffee was cheaper there than here too.

For what it's worth I also stayed in some perfectly decent private hotels for less than something similar might cost here in some areas (25Euros/900B, including an extensive Spanish breakfast). All booked via Booking.com

Living in Chiang Mai in the 1990s it was mainly a great place to be. Now there is more traffic, many more farang year round, lots of Chinese tourists of course, more expensive living costs and perhaps harder to find quiet, attractive, affordable accommodation. On the plus side, the city is better connected than ever, with well priced direct flights to Phuket, Krabi, Udon Thani, KL and HK should you want to get away and more competitive prices to Bangkok. You can get western food easily (should you want it) but of variable quality, good coffee is easy to find. If you want to be surrounded by other farangs, easy to do. If you want a quiet more Thai cultural experience that is perhaps harder to find. Now as then better to avoid getting hitched to bargirls.

Archived