BANGKOK 22 March 2019 02:48
HuskerDo

Pros/Cons of CM

56 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The pros are getting a bit old.

But the hiking and cycling in and around CM is 1st class.

When you are 79 years old as I am, hiking and bi+ycling is not considered especially attractive.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Kurtf said:

When you are 79 years old as I am, hiking and bi+ycling is not considered especially attractive.

Who wants to be 79 years old?

Not me, at 62 I'm pretty much finished (mentally not physically).

I'm only hanging in here in the hopes for recreational cannabis.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 2

Chiang mai is crazy busy these days, roads always seem choked unless it's 2am.
Other than rents/buy property which are cheaper, if you live like a westerner it's not that cheap, but it can be with a little attention, Thai street food is still cheap, a decent meal can be found for £2 or £3 = $4. Go shopping for supplies at the morning markets, not the malls (Airport central/Kad suan keuw). Accomodation/living expenses even cheaper out from Chiang mai a bit (Mae rim - San Patong - Lamphun - San Kampaeng). Buying a car is crazy expensive, but fuel is a little cheaper. Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec lovely weather, not to hot with cool evenings/mornings, in April live in the shopping malls all day (air con) or go back to UK for a visit, it's crazy hot, 44c every day with the occasional 45c. But electricity to run the A/C is cheap.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

only complaint, the high end audio scene sucks in CM.  have to fly to KL, SGN for the top shelf stuff i.e. Chord, Rega, Naim, Harbeth, ARC ect.

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Phu Chi Fa, right?

IMHO Chiang Rai is a better launch point for many of the more remote sightseeing points than Chiang Mai. Once you've been to Doi Saket, the Samoeng loop, Doi Inthanon, Doi Suthep and San Kamphaeng Hot springs, there really isn't much left.

Plenty of beautiful, remote places to see near Chiang Mai if you can be bothered to search them out & get off the tourist trail.  Not going to list them here 😉

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Pro's: access to just about anything you want in high end tech, excellent and varied foods and a wide range of entertainment.

Con's: dangerous and often overwhelming traffic and mostly horrible air quality.

To any naysayers, I've been close enough for 25 years to have seen it better and to now know better. 

Edited by Dap
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Phu Chi Fa, right?

IMHO Chiang Rai is a better launch point for many of the more remote sightseeing points than Chiang Mai. Once you've been to Doi Saket, the Samoeng loop, Doi Inthanon, Doi Suthep and San Kamphaeng Hot springs, there really isn't much left.

You missed out sticky waterfall and Mon Chairm, Mae Sa waterfall, Ob Khan National Park, The Canyon .........

(Doi Saket? Why would anyone want to go there?)

28 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Yes, but Spain is a richer country where people earn real wages and pay real taxes, not to mention where laws are respected and the word hygiene means something. I expect things to be cheaper in countries like Thailand.

You clearly haven't been recently, it's full of beggars and hookers now with 25%+ youth unemployment.

It's nothing like it was 30-40 years back.

Living in Chiang Mai in the 1990s it was mainly a great place to be. Now there is more traffic, many more farang year round, lots of Chinese tourists of course, more expensive living costs and perhaps harder to find quiet, attractive, affordable accommodation. On the plus side, the city is better connected than ever, with well priced direct flights to Phuket, Krabi, Udon Thani, KL and HK should you want to get away and more competitive prices to Bangkok. You can get western food easily (should you want it) but of variable quality, good coffee is easy to find. If you want to be surrounded by other farangs, easy to do. If you want a quiet more Thai cultural experience that is perhaps harder to find. Now as then better to avoid getting hitched to bargirls.

• Like 1