Pros/Cons of CM

HuskerDo

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

If you do not work, how bad is a 30 minute drive into town ? Put a great stereo in your ride and sing your way to the moat.

Once you arrive, what is your impression of the traffic in town and the parking?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, jabis said:

Not gonna list pro's and con's as they've been already brought to attention, but instead I'll nudge original poster to see how he feels upon landing(or rolling with train / hopping out of the bus) here first time. When I did that first time ~18 years ago, I got the feeling "I'm home" - if that sorta feeling rings true, you oughtta investigate it ^^ 

Well spoken.

"When I did that first time ~18 years ago, I got the feeling 'I'm home' "...

That was my feeling after a few days there last summer.

21 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Once you arrive, what is your impression of the traffic in town and the parking?

Parking can be a Bee Itch - no doubt. But timing is the key. And once you know your way around you can usually park in the same area quite easily.

But living out of town we seldom go to the city. Meet friends at restaurant, or we have a great little family business on a one lane street we like to go to. Southern food so very spicy but not just hot, it has great flavour. Moderate price, but parking can be a challenge as place is very popular and sometime have 300 meters to walk to get to it. But for a once in a while place that is acceptable.

Movies - we go to Central Festival. 7 screens, IMAX and a 4DX with the moving seats, on the superhighway = Hwy 11 = so no town for us.

I go on motorcycle once or twice a month to the Chiang Mai University Arts to see the displays of painting and sculpture which change often. But leave around 0900 so by the time I nearing town rush hour over.

12 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I guess you aren't up to date.  The banking requirement got easier.  You don't need a letter from the embassy anymore only documentation from the bank.  Glad to see you go though if you consider the minuscule immigration procedure jumping through hoops.  

What is easy is showing your monthly pension going into a bank located in your own country.  No one in their right mind would want their monthly pension deposited into a Thai bank.  

Being required to keep money in a Thai bank, 90 day reports, and forms like a TM30's are considered ramping up the hoops for most foreigners to stay in Thailand.  The Thai banking requirement alone should set off alarm bells for most foreigners.  "Minuscule immigration procedure," I think not, lol.

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

Perhaps you fail to understand me. I certainly was not patronizing you; I would much rather criticize you, but I was being nice.

Let me recap for you; it may help  you understand.

This forum is about the pros and cons of Chaing Mai. I responded to post 3 which among other things said the  prices all over Thailand are the same, " except maybe Phuket or Samui "

My post 85 countered by saying other places with fewer farangs--not farang ghettos--are cheaper than Chaing Mai. Then I gave my opinion of the pros and cons of Chiang Mai.

Your post 123  took exception to my use of the term Farang Ghetto to refer to Chaing Mai; which is simply semantics, but you rattled on about how expensive Australia is.

So, you missed the point and disagreed with my opinion and now say I was wrong.

You fail to understand that I do not care if you think I was wrong it was my assessment of the pros and cons of Chiang Mai.  Care for a lemon?

Your whole tone of posting is dismissive. Based on a previous discussion we had on US gun laws, I have a reasonable fix on your level of intelligence and rationality. I'm happy in Chiang Mai, which is all I care about.

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

Well spoken.

"When I did that first time ~18 years ago, I got the feeling 'I'm home' "...

That was my feeling after a few days there last summer.

18 years ago it did feel like home.  But as nothing stays the same in life, now I have moved out of my home to a place a little bit more peaceful and more like the "thailand of old".  Going into town now is more like going to visit ones relatives....then its "ok, gotta get going ....see y'all next time"

1 hour ago, CMNightRider said:

What is easy is showing your monthly pension going into a bank located in your own country.  No one in their right mind would want their monthly pension deposited into a Thai bank.  

Being required to keep money in a Thai bank, 90 day reports, and forms like a TM30's are considered ramping up the hoops for most foreigners to stay in Thailand.  The Thai banking requirement alone should set off alarm bells for most foreigners.  "Minuscule immigration procedure," I think not, lol.

bye......let us know how it is in your next location, please

33 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

That really is stupid.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I wouldn't say stupid but either these people who would gladly deposit their pension finds in a Thai bank, either didn't have an opportunity to take  economics in college or they slept through the part on international banking ???? 

3 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

I wouldn't say stupid but either these people who would gladly deposit their pension finds in a Thai bank, either didn't have an opportunity to take  economics in college or they slept through the part on international banking ???? 

The other route is to draw funds at a Thai ATM, in which case there are three slugs - the ATM fee, the conversion from another currency, and the fee from the financial institution in the country of origin. That's not the sharpest tool in the drawer either.

I don't think it's unreasonable for the Thai government to require guests in Thailand to be able to support themselves; however, opinions differ.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

The other route is to draw funds at a Thai ATM, in which case there are three slugs - the ATM fee, the conversion from another currency, and the fee from the financial institution in the country of origin. That's not the sharpest tool in the drawer either.

I don't think it's unreasonable for the Thai government to require guests in Thailand to be able to support themselves; however, opinions differ.

Of course it isn't unreasonable for immigration to want to see proof you have the means to live in Thailand.  That can be achieved by showing your monthly income deposited into the bank you do business with.  

Many of us use brokerage firms because of investing in the market, and our monthly pensions are safely held there.  Try traveling on a Thai bank card in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, or the US.  This is not rocket science.    

On 1/6/2019 at 8:35 AM, Olmate said:

Whole thread is pointless,get off your ass ,go look if your so interested Do!

Wow, pointless???  I don't think so.  I think for someone who is considering relocating to CM, it is both interesting and informative. ????  

23 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The brokerage firm I use to deposit my pension funds don't charge an ATM fee, you receive the daily rate of exchange, and when visiting foreign countries, it is easy to access your funds.  

Of course it isn't unreasonable for the Thai government to require guests to be able to support themselves.  Keeping 800,000 baht in a Thai bank is not smart money management, lol.  

On 1/6/2019 at 9:54 AM, HuskerDo said:

Thanks for the response NightRider. I appreciate yours and all the other diverse responses. Everyone has their own feeling about things and one persons great experience is another's not-so-good experience.

One of my cons was immigration but I've come to accept the fact that we'll need to dump 800,000 baht into their banks and I'm now fine with that. Of course no definite decision has been made by the Thai authorities yet so we'll have to see what happens but it sounds like we'll have to go the 800,000 route OR have 65,000 transferred into a bank each month.

If you don't mind me asking what sort of property did you buy? Condo? If so you can rent it out and return to it one day possibly if immigration loosens their requirements.  

I purchased a home since I am married to a Thai.  It is too nice to use as a rental.  If immigration is unwilling to accept proof of my monthly pension safely deposited in my home brokerage firm, then I will lockup my home, relocate, and have my wife's family look after the home.

Immigration will not loosen their requirements for foreigners.  They are slowly tightening them in hopes we will leave.  Their plan is working, lol. 

I wouldn't say stupid but either these people who would gladly deposit their pension finds in a Thai bank, either didn't have an opportunity to take  economics in college or they slept through the part on international banking [emoji20] 

You overrate college. Too bad you have nothing better to base opinion on.

On 1/5/2019 at 3:09 PM, Vacuum said:

Yes, it was bad before, but since the move to the old (new) place, it's much better according to reports.

What?  Huh?  You have got to be kidding me.  I thought by building a new immigration building immigration would improve greatly.  I was so wrong on that assumption.  

Chiang Mai Immigration proudly holds the title of the worst of the worst immigration office in Thailand for foreigners attempting to navigate through their one year visa renewals.

It is almost as though the difficulty in obtaining or renewing a visa was planned and well thought out.  

After my latest visit to renew my one year visa, I'm convinced the end goal is to encourage farangs to find someplace else to live or to make it mandatory to deposit 800,000 baht in a Thai bank or deposit 65,000 baht monthly into a Thai bank.  Both requirements are poor money management decisions for foreigners. ???? 

9 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

You overrate college. Too bad you have nothing better to base opinion on.

Actually I do have an another way I based my opinion, and thank you for asking.  It is called common sense.  Unfortunately, not everyone is blessed with common sense, and that coupled with an education will help you immensely throughout life. ????  

to deposit 800,000 baht in a Thai bank or deposit 65,000 baht monthly into a Thai bank.  Both requirements are poor money management decisions for foreigners.

Perhaps, but that is and probably will be the 'cost' of living in Thailand. We all have a choice though. Making maximum profit is not what life's about IMO.

What?  Huh?  You have got to be kidding me.  I thought by building a new immigration building immigration would improve greatly.  I was so wrong on that assumption.  

Chiang Mai Immigration proudly holds the title of the worst of the worst immigration office in Thailand for foreigners attempting to navigate through their one year visa renewals.

It is almost as though the difficulty in obtaining or renewing a visa was planned and well thought out.  

After my latest visit to renew my one year visa, I'm convinced the end goal is to encourage farangs to find someplace else to live or to make it mandatory to deposit 800,000 baht in a Thai bank or deposit 65,000 baht monthly into a Thai bank.  Both requirements are poor money management decisions for foreigners. ???? 

It's not difficult if you use an agent. I'm happy to pay for the convenience.

It's already mandatory to either have 800K in a Thai Bank, or 65K deposited monthly. The conditions for staying here long term. Leaving is the other option.

I've had 800K on deposit with Bangkok Bank for 10 years now. Have never had a problem. I spend it down, then top it back up with income from the 80% of my assets back in Australia as the seasoning period arrives. I live very well here. I can withdraw my money here at any time, and convert to other currencies as I wish.

The last time I owed anybody any money was 1974. I don't even have a credit card. I have about 2 years of forward cash expenses available at a month's notice. 8 months at the click of a mouse.

Please explain how I am a poor money manager. I'm fascinated.

33 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's not difficult if you use an agent. I'm happy to pay for the convenience.

It's already mandatory to either have 800K in a Thai Bank, or 65K deposited monthly. The conditions for staying here long term. Leaving is the other option.

I've had 800K on deposit with Bangkok Bank for 10 years now. Have never had a problem. I spend it down, then top it back up with income from the 80% of my assets back in Australia as the seasoning period arrives. I live very well here. I can withdraw my money here at any time, and convert to other currencies as I wish.

The last time I owed anybody any money was 1974. I don't even have a credit card. I have about 2 years of forward cash expenses available at a month's notice. 8 months at the click of a mouse.

Please explain how I am a poor money manager. I'm fascinated.

It would be poor money management for me because I generally take four international trips a year and invest in the market.  You live a less complicated and simple life, so keeping money in a Thai bank earning little to nothing is okay.  Thanks for sharing ???? 

OP, your question is too vague!

There are rats and mosquitoes all over Thailand.. that's not just a Chiang Mai thing.

Also in Chiang Mai you can live in the city, in suburbia, in a rural village, or way out in the countryside... so a lot to take into consideration.

I have been here 12 years.  There are not really any 'cons' to living here that there aren't in other cities all over Thailand.  Here are a few I can think of:

1.  Air pollution in the dry hot season, when they are burning the forests, rice fields, rubbish, tyres, and plastic!  However, despite what people say, it is tolerable and not as bad as I used to be.  So unless you have lung problems or are elderly and sick, there should be no problem.  It only really lasts a few weeks at its worst.

2.  No beach or sea.  This is not a con for me as I hate sunbathing and its easy to fly down to the south for a holiday a couple times a year if I fancy a beach holiday.  I don't think many people who live near a beach actually go there every day anyway after the novelty wears off.

3.  I bit more restricted and difficult to get Western goods and services, but its getting a lot better.

Pros

1.  Beautiful mountains and forests, countryside, goo for exploring, biking, trips out to homestays or resorts.

2.  Lots of culture, coffee shops, new shopping malls.

3.  Slow pace of life. (this can be a con too if you are in a hurry to get jobs done).

4.  Delicious Thai food which is cheaper than Bangkok and holiday beach places and better quality... my personal opinion.  

12 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

Hatred, bitterness, negativity.... call it what you will but you have it Mike. You lived here too long you say. Whose fault was that? If you hated it so much why did you stay so long? Seems like there is another part to your story that you aren't sharing.

The three things you mention I see as non-issues. The air is fine except during burning season. During that time a person can fly elsewhere for a couple of months. When in town during that time simply get a mask to wear. Many people do that in burning season. Also, get an air filtering system for your home/rental. Easy stuff. Even take an annual trip to their native country. Congested traffic? Really? Tell me a city that doesn't have that. If you live somewhere where you can walk to most of the places you frequent on a regular basis guess what? NO TRAFFIC CONGESTION! ???? 

I don't see the visa thing as an issue. Put the 800,000 in the bank and you are set. It takes less than a day to get thru the annual renewal thus you have 364 days to have fun other than the 90 day reporting and that can be done online or via mail. easy stuff.

12 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

At any rate I hope you are happy where you are now. Everyone deserves to be happy.

This will be my last post on this as I actually do have a life and shouldn't be wasting the 5 minutes it takes to respond to people who think they know it all but are clueless.  It's obvious you're someone I wouldn't like and fortunately will never have to meet in person.  So please move to CM as misery loves company and you will find quite a bit of that once you get there. 

As for myself, I will stay in my present location with all the conveniences and amenities of CM, with less traffic, pollution and a better/friendlier class of people, both locals and farang. 

P.S. Don't bother asking me where I live because while the possibility may be slim, I would hate to find out you've moved to the area.  I already know I wouldn't like you or your attitude, which you'll need to get rid of.  If not, you're going to have a lot of problems where ever you go - but you already know that don't you?  End of discussion.

23 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

It would be poor money management for me because I generally take four international trips a year and invest in the market.  You live a less complicated and simple life, so keeping money in a Thai bank earning little to nothing is okay.  Thanks for sharing ???? 

I'd keep $25 grand in the bank just for my pocket money while having fun in Thailand.  Nothing wrong with being poor.  Why not just say, "I'm a poor guy and spent all of my cash on the Thai lady."  Talk about poor money management, buying a house that you can't even get a part of in case of a divorce is really juvenile.  Do you normally invest in things that have a 50% chance of total loss? You're a savvy investor.  Which would have been the better play in 2018.  A.  Keep all of your money in a Thai bank.  B.  Invest all of your money in the S&P 500 index?  Hint the bank would have made you 8% more. 

Pros: more English spoken, a tad cooler than BKK, Northern cuisine, pretty ladies, not many Russians or Africans.

Cons:. Immigration, the burn, the Chinese, it is a magnet for those whose only interest is living cheap, making it a magnet for very old....garbage problem is horrific, traffic pretty bad...more fat farang in circus pants per sm than any place on the planet, lots of Conmen..both Thai and foreign.

Archived