Pros/Cons of CM

HuskerDo

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I'd keep $25 grand in the bank just for my pocket money while having fun in Thailand.  Nothing wrong with being poor.  Why not just say, "I'm a poor guy and spent all of my cash on the Thai lady."  Talk about poor money management, buying a house that you can't even get a part of in case of a divorce is really juvenile.  Do you normally invest in things that have a 50% chance of total loss? You're a savvy investor.  Which would have been the better play in 2018.  A.  Keep all of your money in a Thai bank.  B.  Invest all of your money in the S&P 500 index?  Hint the bank would have made you 8% more. 

Lol, thanks for sharing your infinite wisdom regarding living in Thailand ????

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cons: Terrible pollution from burning a couple months in the spring. Traffic getting worse as both Thai's and foreigners flock to the city. Getting more populated with Chinese and Koreans which just drives up prices. Hospitals getting more crowded and expensive. Finally, of course, Chiang Mai Immigration. 

7 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

I purchased a home since I am married to a Thai.  It is too nice to use as a rental.  If immigration is unwilling to accept proof of my monthly pension safely deposited in my home brokerage firm, then I will lockup my home, relocate, and have my wife's family look after the home.

Immigration will not loosen their requirements for foreigners.  They are slowly tightening them in hopes we will leave.  Their plan is working, lol. 

I don't think they are tightening requirements to drive everyone out. Just those that were skirting the rules when they lie to the Consulate about their income to get an income verification to stay in Thailand. I suspect if the same thing was happening in the US they would have plugged that hole long ago as the Thai's are doing. Unfortunately it's causing some issues for folks(the honest ones) but is there a better alternative? I like your idea of showing the money a person has in a bank back home but there is no guarantee you'd bring that into Thailand in their eyes.

6 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

Actually I do have an another way I based my opinion, and thank you for asking.  It is called common sense.  Unfortunately, not everyone is blessed with common sense, and that coupled with an education will help you immensely throughout life. ????  

Ahh yes, common sense. More rare than the white rhino. Both will be extinct in a few years. ???? 

4 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

OP, your question is too vague!

There are rats and mosquitoes all over Thailand.. that's not just a Chiang Mai thing.

Also in Chiang Mai you can live in the city, in suburbia, in a rural village, or way out in the countryside... so a lot to take into consideration.

I have been here 12 years.  There are not really any 'cons' to living here that there aren't in other cities all over Thailand.  Here are a few I can think of:

1.  Air pollution in the dry hot season, when they are burning the forests, rice fields, rubbish, tyres, and plastic!  However, despite what people say, it is tolerable and not as bad as I used to be.  So unless you have lung problems or are elderly and sick, there should be no problem.  It only really lasts a few weeks at its worst.

2.  No beach or sea.  This is not a con for me as I hate sunbathing and its easy to fly down to the south for a holiday a couple times a year if I fancy a beach holiday.  I don't think many people who live near a beach actually go there every day anyway after the novelty wears off.

3.  I bit more restricted and difficult to get Western goods and services, but its getting a lot better.

Pros

1.  Beautiful mountains and forests, countryside, goo for exploring, biking, trips out to homestays or resorts.

2.  Lots of culture, coffee shops, new shopping malls.

3.  Slow pace of life. (this can be a con too if you are in a hurry to get jobs done).

4.  Delicious Thai food which is cheaper than Bangkok and holiday beach places and better quality... my personal opinion.  

Thank you Jak.

4 hours ago, mrmillersr said:

This will be my last post on this as I actually do have a life and shouldn't be wasting the 5 minutes it takes to respond to people who think they know it all but are clueless.  It's obvious you're someone I wouldn't like and fortunately will never have to meet in person.  So please move to CM as misery loves company and you will find quite a bit of that once you get there. 

As for myself, I will stay in my present location with all the conveniences and amenities of CM, with less traffic, pollution and a better/friendlier class of people, both locals and farang. 

P.S. Don't bother asking me where I live because while the possibility may be slim, I would hate to find out you've moved to the area.  I already know I wouldn't like you or your attitude, which you'll need to get rid of.  If not, you're going to have a lot of problems where ever you go - but you already know that don't you?  End of discussion.

God bless your pointed little head. I sincerely hope you find peace in life. You've been angry all throughout your posts so one can only conclude you had a very bad experience here. Maybe with a woman. Maybe with immigration. Maybe with the police. Regardless I wish you peace.

4 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

It would be poor money management for me because I generally take four international trips a year and invest in the market.  You live a less complicated and simple life, so keeping money in a Thai bank earning little to nothing is okay.  Thanks for sharing ???? 

Good response NightRider. Indeed we are all different and live different lifestyles. Some need more and some get by with less but if they are both happy that's all that matters.

8 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

The brokerage firm I use to deposit my pension funds don't charge an ATM fee, you receive the daily rate of exchange, and when visiting foreign countries, it is easy to access your funds.  

Of course it isn't unreasonable for the Thai government to require guests to be able to support themselves.  Keeping 800,000 baht in a Thai bank is not smart money management, lol.  

NightRider - Can't you just have your brokerage deposit 65,000 bath in a Thai account for you each month? If that turns out to be an option (as it should) then you can keep the rest in the brokerage account for investing. I know I have no interest in having my pension or Social Security directly deposited into a Thai bank I would be comfortable having my US institution deposit it instead. Of course if the 800,000 in the account is the only option I'll roll with it. 

37 minutes ago, jimgilly said:

I personally know and am a friend of Mike and can tell you it wouldn't go well for you if you met him face to face and made the same wise ass remarks you've been making on this forum.  Smart aleck big mouths like you feel pretty brave hiding behind the internet but tend to keep their mouths shut when out in public.  I suggest you do the same.

Interesting thought since you don't know me at all. Yes, we all shiver at the thought of running into Mikey. I say what I want to say in public as well but since I tend to hang around classy people I'm sure I'd never run into Mikey or you. He's got a few problems he needs to address. Thanks for your input tho. Have a marvelous life.  

Pros:

- The friendliest people I met in Thailand are from northern Thailand

- Cost of living (rent and buy, food at markets and restaurants)

- beautiful surroundings

- huge choice of really good international restaurants

- nice cool weather in winter

- no sex tourists or drunk in trash bins searching expats

- many beautiful festivals in and around the city

- good vibes

- not too big and not too small

- international airport

Cons:

- the traffic if you want to drive in the rush hour

- the burning season and the super hot weather in spring

- bad sidewalks everywhere

- all bars (except 3) have to close at midnight

- the immigration office (but only a problem one time a year)

Living in Chiang Mai (Nam Phrae) since 3 years and I am very happy. Yes, there are many tourists, but this happens when you are living in a nice city all over the world. And yes, also many Chinese - but 90% are individual travellers, friendly and educated (all I met).  

IMG_20180821_182438.jpg

IMG_20180203_122057.jpg

IMG_20180203_122247.jpg

IMG_20180203_122736.jpg

Doi Mon Cham klein-26.jpg

IMG_20160828_163247.jpg

2. Tag-09.jpg

P1010879_0385.JPG

P1020173_0712.jpg

P1020201_0740.jpg

P1020215_0754.jpg

DJI_0009.JPG

DJI_0024.JPG

30 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Pros:

- The friendliest people I met in Thailand are from northern Thailand

- Cost of living (rent and buy, food at markets and restaurants)

- beautiful surroundings

- huge choice of really good international restaurants

- nice cool weather in winter

- no sex tourists or drunk in trash bins searching expats

- many beautiful festivals in and around the city

- good vibes

- not too big and not too small

- international airport

Cons:

- the traffic if you want to drive in the rush hour

- the burning season and the super hot weather in spring

- bad sidewalks everywhere

- all bars (except 3) have to close at midnight

- the immigration office (but only a problem one time a year)

Living in Chiang Mai (Nam Phrae) since 3 years and I am very happy. Yes, there are many tourists, but this happens when you are living in a nice city all over the world. And yes, also many Chinese - but 90% are individual travellers, friendly and educated (all I met).  

STUNNING photos CNX. Your response is truly appreciated. Thank you!! Do you use a car to get to/from CM city from Nam Phrae or do you use a motorbike to get around?

3 minutes ago, Scott said:

An inflammatory post has been removed.  

Kids today have it so easy.   When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet just to change the TV channel. ???? 

Ain't it the truth Scott. forget about trying to explain to kids these days that when I grew up there was no internet or cable TV but rather just 3 channels to choose from (NBC, CBS and ABC). We had just one phone and if we weren't home when someone called... oh well! ???? 

Many of us grew up without all the gadgets there are today and we survived albeit we had to walk all the way to the TV to change the channel. That was an exhausting trip to be sure. ???? 

Thanks for the reminder of how easy kids have it these days.

5 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Kids today have it so easy.   When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet just to change the TV channel. ???? 

Ain't it the truth Scott. forget about trying to explain to kids these days that when I grew up there was no internet or cable TV but rather just 3 channels to choose from (NBC, CBS and ABC). We had just one phone and if we weren't home when someone called... oh well! ???? 

Many of us grew up without all the gadgets there are today and we survived albeit we had to walk all the way to the TV to change the channel. That was an exhausting trip to be sure. ???? 

Thanks for the reminder of how easy kids have it these days.

life was so hard when i was a child i had to get up before i'd gone to bed..

5 minutes ago, samsensam said:

life was so hard when i was a child i had to get up before i'd gone to bed..

and yet you survived. ???? 

Actually sometimes it felt that way when I was in the military. You'd JUST get to sleep and then you had to get back up for something. Some of those 20 minute "power naps" really felt like I was asleep for hours.

2 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

STUNNING photos CNX. Your response is truly appreciated. Thank you!! Do you use a car to get to/from CM city from Nam Phrae or do you use a motorbike to get around?

Both. When I want to go shopping or it´s wet or hot weather I use the car, if it´s rush hour time and I don´t need a car I use the motorbike. I am not often in Old Town. To Central Airport I need by car 20 minutes, to Makro and BigC around 15 minutes. Also many nice restaurants are not far from my home near the Grand Canyon.

It´s a peaceful and quiet area. Perfect!

DJI_0007.jpg

DJI_0018.jpg

DJI_0026.jpg

DJI_0030.jpg

Garten_0022.JPG

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Your whole tone of posting is dismissive. Based on a previous discussion we had on US gun laws, I have a reasonable fix on your level of intelligence and rationality. I'm happy in Chiang Mai, which is all I care about.

American gun laws? Gee, there you go again in your naivety. As I said before, there is a legal process for changing the US constitution, but to date, no political force has been able to deliver enough votes to change it. Until then it is a right for Americans to possess guns. If you don't like it, don't go there. I do hope you realize that I also do not accept your credentials for rebuking me. Please have a great day

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

American gun laws? Gee, there you go again in your naivety. As I said before, there is a legal process for changing the US constitution, but to date, no political force has been able to deliver enough votes to change it. Until then it is a right for Americans to possess guns. If you don't like it, don't go there. I do hope you realize that I also do not accept your credentials for rebuking me. Please have a great day

Borrowing one of your metaphors, I feel like I am pounding sand down a rathole.

I've been in a car driving through Soweto. We have our own places in Australia called Redfern and Wilcannia. I've been driven through the projects in Philadelphia, and taken a very short walk through Harlem. Somewhat ironic these places exist in a country that likes to beat its chest about being the land of the free and the brave.

These places are genuine ghettos. When you describe Chiang Mai as a farang ghetto, your opinion is facile, demeaning and plain wrong-headed.

I've met quite a few Americans here. Some, such as a now-deceased friend of mine, are a credit to their nation. Others seem to think they have some kind of God-given right to be offensive to everyone else, on the basis of their nationality. Burdick/Lederer springs to mind.

The evidence is Australia has not had a mass shooting since 1996, when semi-automatic weapons were banned. IMHO Americans who defend their right to own those types of weapons have forfeited any claim to rationality.

Incidentally, you are probably unaware the expressions "Have a nice day" or "Have a great day" are widely regarded by Australians as an expression of insincerity.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:37 AM, baansgr said:

You mentioned it, the one thing that put me off is the immigration office, couldnt cope with that.

Food and daily needs are the same price anywhere in Thailand, except maybe Phuket or Samui but the major stores have a one price system, so citing cheap living is a myth. 

In fact for me there isnt a pro.

The imm. office shouldn't put anyone off that can afford a few thousand baht for an agency. Pay money, get extension- painless except in wallet.

My pros are:

reasonably small so possible to live within walking distance of everything needed.

Accomodation is cheaper than Pattaya.

WETV is cheap, though has to be the worst TV company I've ever experienced.

Grace Dental.

Promenada mall.

Central Airport mall.

Anusorn night market.

Some interesting temples.

The big floral gardens- I forget the name, but it's off to the right going to Hang Don.

Cons:

The "nightlife" has to be the saddest, most pathetic of any place in LOS. Even Lamphun has a more vibrant night scene, and that's saying something.

Dirty.

The council is useless. They didn't even put on anything for new year 2018. They never fix the pavements, or clean the roads, and their idea of gardening is to ignore it while the plants die.

The roads are too congested and the traffic jams are as bad as Bkk. Dangerous too.

The red songtheaws are a rip off, the tuk tuks are a rip off. The public transportation is a joke- a bad one.

Arcade bus station is terrible and the songtheaws overcharge to get there.

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The imm. office shouldn't put anyone off that can afford a few thousand baht for an agency. Pay money, get extension- painless except in wallet.

My pros are:

reasonably small so possible to live within walking distance of everything needed.

Accomodation is cheaper than Pattaya.

WETV is cheap, though has to be the worst TV company I've ever experienced.

Grace Dental.

Promenada mall.

Central Airport mall.

Anusorn night market.

Some interesting temples.

The big floral gardens- I forget the name, but it's off to the right going to Hang Don.

Cons:

The "nightlife" has to be the saddest, most pathetic of any place in LOS. Even Lamphun has a more vibrant night scene, and that's saying something.

Dirty.

The council is useless. They didn't even put on anything for new year 2018. They never fix the pavements, or clean the roads, and their idea of gardening is to ignore it while the plants die.

The roads are too congested and the traffic jams are as bad as Bkk. Dangerous too.

The red songtheaws are a rip off, the tuk tuks are a rip off. The public transportation is a joke- a bad one.

Arcade bus station is terrible and the songtheaws overcharge to get there.

Thanks TBL. Do you know anyone that has True TV? If so how is it? I've read some good things about it. I think you made a great point in that if you find a great spot that's within walking distance of everything you need or usually frequent then the road issues disappear for the most-part.  

31 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The evidence is Australia has not had a mass shooting since 1996, when semi-automatic weapons were banned. IMHO Americans who defend their right to own those types of weapons have forfeited any claim to rationality.

Despite it being completely off topic, I have to respond to that.

How many mass shootings has New Zealand had involving semi automatics since 1900? Wikipedia tells us there were 13,000 military style semi auto weapons owned in NZ in 2017.

Wikipedia tells us one in 1994 and that was a 22.

Mass shootings have, IMO, nothing to do with what guns are around, but more to do with the culture, but as said, off topic and I'll leave it at that.

9 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Thanks TBL. Do you know anyone that has True TV? If so how is it? I've read some good things about it. I think you made a great point in that if you find a great spot that's within walking distance of everything you need or usually frequent then the road issues disappear for the most-part.  

Sorry, don't know anything about True.

I lived just off Loi Kroh on a quiet soi, and the night market, Pantip and Big C were only a slow 10 minute walk away. If I wanted to go to the moat or into the old city, that was 10 minutes in the other direction, allowing for crossing the busy road.

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Despite it being completely off topic, I have to respond to that.

How many mass shootings has New Zealand had involving semi automatics since 1900? Wikipedia tells us there were 13,000 military style semi auto weapons owned in NZ in 2017.

Wikipedia tells us one in 1994 and that was a 22.

Mass shootings have, IMO, nothing to do with what guns are around, but more to do with the culture, but as said, off topic and I'll leave it at that.

Perhaps Kiwis are more rational than Americans? or Australians, for that matter?

11 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

Interesting thought since you don't know me at all. Yes, we all shiver at the thought of running into Mikey. I say what I want to say in public as well but since I tend to hang around classy people I'm sure I'd never run into Mikey or you. He's got a few problems he needs to address. Thanks for your input tho. Have a marvelous life.  

You tend to hang around "classy people"?  Well "classy"  means "stylish and sophisticated" so I guess many people don't measure up to your high standards and are beneath your status level. Arrogant statements that you keep making show just how pathetic you really are and others will see right through you. 

Let me tell you junior you're nobody special and you're going to find that out pretty fast if you make it to CM.  If you continue to make remarks in public like you do behind the veil of the forum, you're stay might be quite short and unpleasant.  Lose the attitude, grow up and stop thinking you are better than others. 

Like Mike, I'm done posting as I've much better things to do, but I'm sure you will become a regular poster on this forum.  With no life or friends, it will be the only place where you can post your drivel and get a response or two.  Prove my point and make another snide remark to this post.  Like I said I won't be replying or making any further posts but I bet with you're inflated ego you won't be able to control yourself from replying.  Watch people and see if I'm right.

Archived