Pros/Cons of CM

HuskerDo

15 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Both. When I want to go shopping or it´s wet or hot weather I use the car, if it´s rush hour time and I don´t need a car I use the motorbike. I am not often in Old Town. To Central Airport I need by car 20 minutes, to Makro and BigC around 15 minutes. Also many nice restaurants are not far from my home near the Grand Canyon.

It´s a peaceful and quiet area. Perfect!

DJI_0007.jpg

DJI_0018.jpg

DJI_0026.jpg

DJI_0030.jpg

Garten_0022.JPG

I know a guy who lives there also.

He told me that water is filthy dirty and stinks to high heaven he can never open his windows.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The "nightlife" has to be the saddest, most pathetic of any place in LOS.

I guess you haven't seen, or heard, the evening swallows roosting on Thanon Suthep.

~o:37;

22 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

Kids today have it so easy.   When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet just to change the TV channel. ???? 

Ain't it the truth Scott. forget about trying to explain to kids these days that when I grew up there was no internet or cable TV but rather just 3 channels to choose from (NBC, CBS and ABC). We had just one phone and if we weren't home when someone called... oh well! ???? 

Many of us grew up without all the gadgets there are today and we survived albeit we had to walk all the way to the TV to change the channel. That was an exhausting trip to be sure. ???? 

Thanks for the reminder of how easy kids have it these days.

I didn't have a TV.  The maid and butler had to dance and play the banjo.  You kids don't know about hardship.

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

He told me that water is filthy dirty and stinks to high heaven he can never open his windows.

Have you been to the place BKK or is your only point of reference what your friend says? Just curious.

On 1/6/2019 at 10:14 PM, mrmillersr said:

FYI, what happened was I lived in CM for longer than I should have as I'm sure is the case with many others.  I hope you get the opportunity to do the same and get to experience all the not so great aspects of what has become an overcrowded, highly polluted region of Thailand. 

Perhaps you will find some like minded individuals and you can discuss how the toxic air doesn't affect you, how the congested traffic is no problem and why you love going to immigration to sort out your visa affairs.  Or maybe, you will wake up, smell the coffee, and move on to a better location like I did, but somehow I doubt that will happen. 

Also, I think you're use of the word "hatred" is a bit much as I'm only being a realist about what I experienced after living here for a number of years.  Really, I think you will fit in perfectly in CM so don't have second thoughts about it.  I'm sure you will become one of the regular posters and people will be delighted to hear what you have to say. 

Out of interest what better place did you move to?

On 1/8/2019 at 7:37 AM, Lacessit said:

Borrowing one of your metaphors, I feel like I am pounding sand down a rathole.

I've been in a car driving through Soweto. We have our own places in Australia called Redfern and Wilcannia. I've been driven through the projects in Philadelphia, and taken a very short walk through Harlem. Somewhat ironic these places exist in a country that likes to beat its chest about being the land of the free and the brave.

These places are genuine ghettos. When you describe Chiang Mai as a farang ghetto, your opinion is facile, demeaning and plain wrong-headed.

I've met quite a few Americans here. Some, such as a now-deceased friend of mine, are a credit to their nation. Others seem to think they have some kind of God-given right to be offensive to everyone else, on the basis of their nationality. Burdick/Lederer springs to mind.

The evidence is Australia has not had a mass shooting since 1996, when semi-automatic weapons were banned. IMHO Americans who defend their right to own those types of weapons have forfeited any claim to rationality.

Incidentally, you are probably unaware the expressions "Have a nice day" or "Have a great day" are widely regarded by Australians as an expression of insincerity.

It is a simile, but bless your heart you tried.

I think a number one feature of Chiang Mai is its ThaiVisa forum where members exchange useful information, never complain, never troll, and give each other great mutual support in meaningful discussions of issues in expat living.

Forum posts are frequently imbued with a deep understanding of Thai culture and values, as well as compassion and caring for the problems of others.

I never thought people would accept that I had orangutan and human minds and souls fused into one farang body in a cosmic singularity ... yet everyone here has shown the greatest respect for my trans-species identity !  No has called me "banana boy," or asked if I would do tricks while they played the accordion for spare change.

I forget how many times I did not commit suicide because I said to myself: "whoa ... you need to go to ThaiVisa Chiang Mai Forum ... and just ... chill."

~o:37;

14 hours ago, orang37 said:

I forget how many times I did not commit suicide because I said to myself: "whoa ... you need to go to ThaiVisa Chiang Mai Forum ... and just ... chill."

or the many times I read a post and think  "whoa...... I gotta stop offering opinions on this weird TV forum.

hey, but then i chill out and realize many do not engage in the pissing contests and of course, last but not least,  we are a fairly compassionate group accepting many types of people/creatures.  

On 1/8/2019 at 7:37 AM, Lacessit said:

've met quite a few Americans here. Some, such as a now-deceased friend of mine, are a credit to their nation. Others seem to think they have some kind of God-given right to be offensive to everyone else, on the basis of their nationality.   

hahaha   yes, americans  ( in thailand..to keep "on topic")  .   I guess we can say that there are offensive people of every nationality.... but from experience when an american comes to see one of our rentals my first emotion is one of   uh oh    I have seen that oh so friendly rental face turn around too many times to not be wary.   Nice, genuine renters have been mostly NGO or Christian people "working" here.     Bad experiences ( rude, entitled, ) mostly with older people (male and female) and...teachers  LOL    NOTE:  these are generalities, and there have been an exception or two.

( i remember the poster you are having your tete a tete with as stating he likes to debate....another fine american trait ...along with quoting legal BS )

29 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

What's a Duffle Coat?

The prefered choise back in the day for those oiks who protested outside US Air Bases, Le Comunist Politicans,Teachers in Sandals, big wooden pegs instead of buttons, as a kid they were smelly ,so you avoide them sitting on a Bus.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:37 PM, bkk6060 said:

Must be another place. Definitely no smell. My windows are open all day long.

On 1/7/2019 at 10:40 AM, rumak said:

18 years ago it did feel like home.  But as nothing stays the same in life, now I have moved out of my home to a place a little bit more peaceful and more like the "thailand of old".  Going into town now is more like going to visit ones relatives....then its "ok, gotta get going ....see y'all next time"

I am about 20 minutes from the town now. Before I lived in Santitham for almost seven years. I find now going to Town to just be a hassle and only come in now to do shopping once every two weeks. What you said is true - great to go in and see the relatives but so much better going home.

Chiang Mai from just 10 years ago has changed. I just hope this burning season is not too bad. I might relocate for a few weeks.

On 1/9/2019 at 7:09 PM, smotherb said:

It is a simile, but bless your heart you tried.

You're saying I am over-using semantics when I define a ghetto for you, and now you want me to understand the miniscule difference between a metaphor and a simile? Permit me to doubt it's a crucial distinction.

44 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

I am about 20 minutes from the town now. Before I lived in Santitham for almost seven years. I find now going to Town to just be a hassle and only come in now to do shopping once every two weeks. What you said is true - great to go in and see the relatives but so much better going home.

Chiang Mai from just 10 years ago has changed. I just hope this burning season is not too bad. I might relocate for a few weeks.

Hi TTU. Can I ask what direction from town you choose to live now? I'm guessing you own/rent a house there? If so, how is the internet out there as well as other utilities? Ever any issues?

31 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Hi TTU. Can I ask what direction from town you choose to live now? I'm guessing you own/rent a house there? If so, how is the internet out there as well as other utilities? Ever any issues?

It doesn't matter, they even have 3BB fibre in the Hmong Villages on the mountain now.

Electricity goes off in thunderstorms every now and then.

Water pressure goes off a couple of hours a year.

Same everywhere.

Around Hang Dong gets a lot more aircraft noise, as the airport is there.

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You're saying I am over-using semantics when I define a ghetto for you, and now you want me to understand the miniscule difference between a metaphor and a simile? Permit me to doubt it's a crucial distinction.

oh, I have permitted you much more than that, and I have no doubt the difference would be minuscule to you; bless your heart

CM isn’t expensive. As said the air quality is very bad in burn season and isn’t so great now according to the AQI. I lived past the outer ring road and cringed at the thought of having to drive into CM. I can’t live in a crowded urban environment and that is what you get there. I don’t know that immigration is still a big factor now, at least if you are in CM, it’s not a long drive to get there. Can’t complain about the people but too many farang and Chinese for my tastes. There are some fantastic places to live within a 30 minute drive. I moved back to a village near Lamphun so I could have my wood shop.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, sletraveler said:

CM isn’t expensive. As said the air quality is very bad in burn season and isn’t so great now according to the AQI. I lived past the outer ring road and cringed at the thought of having to drive into CM. I can’t live in a crowded urban environment and that is what you get there. I don’t know that immigration is still a big factor now, at least if you are in CM, it’s not a long drive to get there. Can’t complain about the people but too many farang and Chinese for my tastes. There are some fantastic places to live within a 30 minute drive. I moved back to a village near Lamphun so I could have my wood shop.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Sounds like a great idea SLE. I suspect a place outside the city will be more appealing to me as well in a few years. I appreciate your thoughts. 

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

oh, I have permitted you much more than that, and I have no doubt the difference would be minuscule to you; bless your heart

I was not aware I needed your permission for anything. Make my day - please expound on the "much more" you consider you have extended to me. By PM if the mods are tired of us being off topic.

Are you OCD? Not a criticism, I have some of the traits. You do seem to have a burning desire to have the last word - I've noticed it before in other threads.

19 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It doesn't matter, they even have 3BB fibre in the Hmong Villages on the mountain now.

Electricity goes off in thunderstorms every now and then.

Water pressure goes off a couple of hours a year.

Same everywhere.

Around Hang Dong gets a lot more aircraft noise, as the airport is there.

I live with my wife in one of the many small villages to the East of Chiang Mai. It is a small village on the way out to the San Kamphaeng hot springs. I have like BritManToo said, fibre internet and it costs me 500 baht a month. It rarely goes down (as like once in three years but due to my router dying) and we only have power problems during big storms. I have a UPS that keeps my systems running for around 4 hours and to date, have never been without the network during a storm. I also have DTAC contract for my Phone (4G) and hotspot off that for highspeed access when I go out. 

I live in my wife's house. I was lucky that my wife owned property/lands before I married, so I did not have to buy but I did put in a small amount of money to upgrade some of the facilities in it. I have lived out here now for three years, it is about 20-30 minutes from town depending on traffic. I lived for a long time in Santitham when I was single and that was okay but I could not do it now due to it being just too busy. I prefer a quiet area now but once your away from the city center, it can be pretty easy. I was averaging about 10,000 baht a month in Condo/Town House expenses when I lived in town (about 120,000 a year). 

At home, I run an aircon about 16 hours a day and it costs me 2000 baht a month for my power bill. Maximum bill is 2,900 baht a month during the burning season with my air purifiers on, 24/7. Water is free as we use a well and a pump. I run two computers 24/7, a network server as well and two stereo systems almost all day. I run two 55'' LG TV's as well as two Samsung 32'' Dual Monitors. We use gas to cook with and gas also for the hot water system as I really like to have hot water. The house was built for Thais (Lana Style) and I spent about 300K just putting tiles and extra rooms in to make it 'foreigner' friendly. We have a large garden area that I blocked out with concrete blocks and that cost another 120K. The lands my wife owns, have been in the family for more than a century. So for me, I have now just broken even in what I have spent in upgrading the house, compared to when I was single and living in town. In some ways, it is better to own if you are staying a long time (but remember, you can never own land here, so, like all, I am at my wife's mercy if anything was to go wrong). 

About the most expensive expense, I have is my health Insurance (that is a must-have) at $US1300 a year and my number one car insurance (18,000 a year). The rest is pretty small costs. Living in a village is pretty cheap. My wife and I live on 24,000 a month and that gives us just about everything that I need. Basic things like Motorcycles are cheap to buy (but dangerous) but cars here are not cheap. 

Chiang Mai can be as cheap as you want it or as expensive as you want it -depends on just how you want to live.

7 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

About the most expensive expense, I have is my health Insurance (that is a must-have) at $US1300 a year and my number one car insurance (18,000 a year).

When I lived in Santitham I paid 5,000bht/month for my room.

I have no health insurance saving $1300 a year, and minimum m/c insurance 300bht/year.

But I do splash out on 100MB 3BB fibre at 631bht/month.

Guess I'm just 'thrifty'

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

When I lived in Santitham I paid 5,000bht/month for my room.

I forgot to add, I lived in a townhouse - sorry, not a Condo at 8,000 a month with 2,000 baht in power. Aircon was on 24/7

When I lived in a Condo at a start, I spent 5,000 a month, 1,200 baht a month for power. I preferred Town House living as I had my own big kitchen and cooked a lot. I had a few girls and such stay with me during this period of time and also had one girlfriend for some time, run her business from the shop area I had for 18 months. I have edited my original post to make it correct. 

Archived