Peeling A Boiled Egg

kyb789

OK. Maybe I'm just having bad luck, but these brown Thailand eggs just don't seem to peel as nicely as the white ones back home. I've tried everything and end up with an egg with craters like the moon rather than a nicely peeled hard boiled egg. My usual techniques are:

-Peeling them while they are still hot from the boiled water.

-Cracking the whole surface first into tiny pieces, then peeling.

-Try to always grab the underlying membrane along with the shell.

What are your success stories? Same experience? Any ideas would be a big help for the amature trying to impress his girl. :o

Always peel length wise, working your way around the widest point thus ensuring you get the most large pieces away. If you lucky and or talented, you'll get it all within two or three pieces..

GOD i'm bored today.

Tap it once on the counter to break the shell in one spot and then roll it lightly with the palm of your hand, one complete turn. The shel will crack all around it's equator, very easy to peel. Twist the top and bottom lightly in opposite directions.

Saw this on Dave Letterman's show in the 80's, some old factory lady had the world record for peeling eggs and that was her technique. Been using it ever since. :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

Tap it once on the counter to break the shell in one spot and then roll it lightly with the palm of your hand, one complete turn. The shel will crack all around it's equator, very easy to peel. Twist the top and bottom lightly in opposite directions.

Saw this on Dave Letterman's show in the 80's, some old factory lady had the world record for peeling eggs and that was her technique. Been using it ever since. :o

oh... that's good... Gonna try that too.

oh... that's good... Gonna try that too.

this is my technique as well...cool de eggs first (make sure that they are properly hard boiled) den crack on de counter top an' roll around widde palm ob yer hand...de shells should then come off nice an' easy...

btw, an egg slicer - one ob dem little hinged wire gizmoes - is highly recommended for egg salad/mayo and etc...

OK. Maybe I'm just having bad luck, but these brown Thailand eggs just don't seem to peel as nicely as the white ones back home. I've tried everything and end up with an egg with craters like the moon rather than a nicely peeled hard boiled egg. My usual techniques are:

What are your success stories? Same experience? Any ideas would be a big help for the amature trying to impress his girl. :o

This works for me everytime:

1. Put your eggs in the water and bring them to boiling point. Continue to boil for 2 minutes.

2. Quickly pour out the water. Immediately add lots of cold water (from the tap). Leave eggs in cold water for 3 minutes.

4. Peel eggs. The shell should detach itself cleanly, easily.

I'm with Momo on this one. The eggs here are too fresh.

For hard boiled babies, I put them in a pot of cold water, bring them to a boil and then shut off the fire immediately. Leave for ten minutes. Put in cold water (haha, ain't gonna happen from the tap so put the eggs in a bowl of tap water and slap them in the fridge). I like Tony's twist and turn. Will try that. Come in handy when you want to make a lot of devilled eggs for a 1950s retro party.

Anyone ever had BBQ eggs? Blaah.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

For hard-boiled eggs, you can use a pin to make a tiny hole at the center of the base of the egg, before boiling. This allows the air to escape during boiling, after boiling I use cold water but only to cool them faster. They usually peel easily. Without the hole an air-pocket forms at the base of the egg and the pressure causes the shell to contract tightly on the upper part of the egg. Some people insist on starting with cold water, putting the eggs in, bringing to a boil, then immediately removing from the heat, then let stand until cooled.

For hard-boiled eggs, you can use a pin to make a tiny hole at the center of the base of the egg, before boiling. This allows the air to escape during boiling, after boiling I use cold water but only to cool them faster. They usually peel easily. Without the hole an air-pocket forms at the base of the egg and the pressure causes the shell to contract tightly on the upper part of the egg. Some people insist on starting with cold water, putting the eggs in, bringing to a boil, then immediately removing from the heat, then let stand until cooled.

Is that wrong? That's why I do. Always works for me...

No, to stop the shells cracking you make a hole in the shell with a pin before boiling.

True, the eggs here are incredibly difficult to peal, regardless of shock therapy (cold water), salt, vinegar and all other tricks. Never had this problem in Euroland. I'm convinced the eggs are just too fresh here. :o

I've had probs peelin' eggs in Thailand in de past...sumtimes half de egg would come off widde shell. I believe that it's a proper balance between hard boilin', coolin' an' egg peeling technique that's required. Sumtimes, I'll put a dozen on de boil den thaivisa will divert my attention an' de eggs are ruined... :D

it's all thaivisa's fault...how many egg salad sammiches have been lost in dis manner??? a humanitarian crime that must be punished... :o

george an' dr PP in de dock in chorus: 'We didn't know that people were lookin' after boiled eggs...we were just followin' orders...'

I've had probs peelin' eggs in Thailand in de past...sumtimes half de egg would come off widde shell. I believe that it's a proper balance between hard boilin', coolin' an' egg peeling technique that's required. Sumtimes, I'll put a dozen on de boil den thaivisa will divert my attention an' de eggs are ruined... :D

it's all thaivisa's fault...how many egg salad sammiches have been lost in dis manner??? a humanitarian crime that must be punished... :o

george an' dr PP in de dock in chorus: 'We didn't know that people were lookin' after boiled eggs...we were just followin' orders...'

That's it, Tutsi. It's not you, it's not the eggs, it's not the cooking tech. It's a sneaky infiltrating tv forum. ICTVBMs. the only answer. Good luck.

Is that wrong? That's why I do. Always works for me...

I did not mean to imply that this was an incorrect technique but rather many, many professional cooks swear by this method. Personally I have a rolling boil, pin-prick the eggs ( I use a push-pin but there are special egg-pins available), use a spoon to put in the water, boil for 5 minutes, remove from heat, use running tap water to cool the eggs, allow to cool for 10 ~ 15 minutes and then peel. I haven't encountered any major issues here or anywhere else. It's unclear to me what the freshness of the raw egg has to do with 'peelability' after boiling. I have no idea how fresh the eggs here are but they certainly taste great, like farm eggs from ~ 35 years ago for me.

True, the eggs here are incredibly difficult to peal, regardless of shock therapy (cold water), salt, vinegar and all other tricks. Never had this problem in Euroland. I'm convinced the eggs are just too fresh here. :o

yes, different eggs here. but i think it's not because to fresh, the eggshells here are not so strong like in europe, they crack more often. maybe because of different fodder and then less calcium in the shell or something like that. maybe the different climate here. and i try all kind off eggs, from neighbour with few chickens, the local market and from the supermarket where eggs coming from big chicken farms, also store them two weeks in the fridge - so not so fresh anymore, all the same.

i have problems with egg shell if i want to make a fried egg for myself. take the raw uncooked egg and try to break the shell by hitting the egg against a sharp corner, like egde of a cup or whatever -you know the process. now the difference my euroland egg will be have a large single crack half around the 'aquator' off the egg, esay to open and put the egg in the pan or even use both halfes off egg shell to seperate the yellow part from the rest. but now try it with the thai egg, not a large single crack, it burst into a lot off tiny pieces, not easy to avoid that small pieces of eggshell falling into the pan also. cracking thai eggs is more harder to keep the shell part and the inside seperated.

if i do boiled eggs i have same problem like OP, and i try all grandma tricks also, doesn't have so much effect. but never do super hard boiled, maybe thats the trick. i allways wondering why the boiled eggs that comes with khao kha muu, brown pork leg, are so perfect peeled.

maybe you should ask the seller of this khao kha muu for some advice for super special grandma trick on thai eggs.

Boil eggs and then immediately plunge the eggs into ice water that also contains cubes of ice.

"What are your success stories? Same experience? Any ideas would be a big help for the amature trying to impress his girl."

Well, I worked as a chef for many years and we always did it one way, no matter where I worked. All the chefs had the same techniques to insure white eggs with bright yellow yolks - no green ones! - that peeled easy.

Place eggs in pot and cover with cold water sufficiently. Add dash to half tsp of salt to h2o. Place eggs over med to high heat. Allow to come to boil for one to 5 minutes, depending on the doneness of the yolks you want. Take pot off the stove and drain off hot h2o as you also add in new cool h2o. Never let the hot eggs be exposed to the air !! This makes them cling to the shell surface and really hard to peel. keep them under water at all times as much as possible. Change h2o once or twice given you have the time, or let them sit in the h2o till cooled. Then peel. Should work pretty easy.

Sometimes if there's a bunch of clingy bits, you can hold the egg under slowly running h2o which will help the little stray bits come off while you work on the bigger parts. You get a perfectly clean, shell-less egg that way.

See if that works for you.

Good Luck.

Peeling A Boiled Egg, What are your secrets?

Knock a boiled egg at a wall before peeling :o

Seriously,Taking the hot boiled egg in the cold water is the secret

From physic theory , high temperature makes molecule expanded.And cooler makes molecules reduce its size. So when you put the hot boiled eggs in cold water .the shells are fragile and easy to peel