Peeling A Boiled Egg

kyb789

Peeling A Boiled Egg, What are your secrets?

Knock a boiled egg at a wall before peeling :o

Seriously,Taking the hot boiled egg in the cold water is the secret

From physic theory , high temperature makes molecule expanded.And cooler makes molecules reduce its size. So when you put the hot boiled eggs in cold water .the shells are fragile and easy to peel

Thanks, Bambina. You gave the technical explanation to what I just knew from experience.

What a wonderful thread :o .

Place eggs in pot and cover with cold water sufficiently. Add dash to half tsp of salt to h2o. Place eggs over med to high heat. Allow to come to boil for one to 5 minutes, depending on the doneness of the yolks you want. Take pot off the stove and drain off hot h2o as you also add in new cool h2o. Never let the hot eggs be exposed to the air !! This makes them cling to the shell surface and really hard to peel. keep them under water at all times as much as possible. Change h2o once or twice given you have the time, or let them sit in the h2o till cooled. Then peel.

This is precisely as my Australian mother taught me.

The little egg-prick doovers, so far as I know, are to prevent the shell breaking while boiling. My German Grade 6 teacher (in Oz) wasa great enthusiast. She told our class about them and offered to buy (at no profit) for our families. We did get one - guess it seemed kinda compulsory - but I think we stopped using it before long.

Does anyone recall a heavy ceramic disc one put in the saucepan when poaching eggs ? It prevented ... something; I was just a kid.

Eggs here do seem fresher, as does the chicken.

I hope the moderators will not castigate me for being off-topic, but one of life's simple, if slightly unhealthy, pleasures must be the Fried Egg Sandwich.

*** Do not attempt this without a bottle of Worcestershire Sauce at hand.

1. Heat good oil (I use olive oil for everything nowadays) in good solid fry pan ( :o I only have a thin wok - gets very smoky.)

2. Break 2 eggs into fry pan. Turn as needed. Allow eggs to cook slowly, until a crisp brown lace has formed around the edges.

3. Have toast of your favourite bread ready for addition of fried eggs.

4. Douse generously with Wostershire sauce.

For health reasons, wait about a week before repeating :D . This prevents addiction, which could be dangerous.

Peeling A Boiled Egg, What are your secrets?

Knock a boiled egg at a wall before peeling :o

Seriously,Taking the hot boiled egg in the cold water is the secret

From physic theory , high temperature makes molecule expanded.And cooler makes molecules reduce its size. So when you put the hot boiled eggs in cold water .the shells are fragile and easy to peel

Thanks, Bambina. You gave the technical explanation to what I just knew from experience.

empirically obtained information is de basis ob science...Newton rubs his head: 'ouch...where did dat apple come from'...

I hope the moderators will not castigate me for being off-topic, but one of life's simple, if slightly unhealthy, pleasures must be the Fried Egg Sandwich.

*** Do not attempt this without a bottle of Worcestershire Sauce at hand.

1. Heat good oil (I use olive oil for everything nowadays) in good solid fry pan ( :o I only have a thin wok - gets very smoky.)

2. Break 2 eggs into fry pan. Turn as needed. Allow eggs to cook slowly, until a crisp brown lace has formed around the edges.

3. Have toast of your favourite bread ready for addition of fried eggs.

4. Douse generously with Wostershire sauce.

For health reasons, wait about a week before repeating :D . This prevents addiction, which could be dangerous.

I would add that you need to be drunk!

ps for the health conscious, poach the eggs!

Edited by suegha

Boil eggs for 4/5 mins, then with hot water still in pan, put under cold tap, run this ror a few mins till water is cool in pan, then leave for 10 mins, drain water from pan, whirl pan so eggs crack eachother and against sides of pan, then peel or shell under running cold water, should come out nice and round,,, works for me in Thai,

The thin membrane between the shell and the egg is called the endometrium, I believe.

The technique of submerging in ice cold water when the egg is just out of the boiling water is to create steam between the egg and the endometrium, separating them.

If you fail to use the ice cold plunge or use too fresh an egg, you will be peeling the shell off the endometrium rather than peeling the shell and the endometrium from the egg.

The pin method is also well recognized and many egg cookers in the west have a pin located in the center of the egg tray for this purpose.

The freshness of the egg must have an effect on the consistency of the endomitrium, perhaps the older the egg, the stronger the endometrium.

Using tap water running over the egg as you peel it helps as it adds a lubricant to the shelling process and the water on the egg itself helps differentiate between the egg surface and the endometrium surface.

Edited by ProThaiExpat

i was inspired by robert de niro in "angel heart", when he was playing the devil, he would roll a hard boiled egg on a table top, cracking it all round the middle. he then peels it away from the center and then remove both ends.

to do this well you need a perfectly timed hard boiled egg. i normally leave it in the pot for 8 to 10 minutes before replacing with cold water to stop the cooking.

How do you tell a fresh egg from an older egg? Put the eggs in water and the ones that lay on the bottom of the pan and totally under the water are too fresh to boil. The ones that rise to the top of the water and semi float have aged long enough to have some of the liquid inside evaporate a little. After boiling the eggs that semi float, immerse them in cold water and let them cool off thoroughly before peeling them.

Microwaved eggs. This thread reminded me of something that happened years ago. A friend of mine and myself visited another friend. We were sitting drinking beer and the friend we were visiting suddenly jumped up and told us he had something we HAD to see. He took us into his kitchen and there sat the first microwave oven I had ever seen. He went and got a raw egg and put it in the microwave. We were all watching closely. The egg exploded and he laughed like he was crazy. His wife came in quickly and told him that she didn't care how much he paid for the microwave and if he did that one more time the microwave was going in the trash. She went on to tell us that he had done that many times and she was left to clean up the mess. :o

Great thread. I just tried a few of the ideas and ... hands down...the cold water does the trick.

Next challenge. Have you ever made Deviled Eggs? You need to boil them then cut them in half and remove the center. But how do you get the yoke to stay in the center of the egg? Sometimes the yoke will be against the wall and the deviled egg just doesn't look good...in fact.. a mess sometimes.

Great thread. I just tried a few of the ideas and ... hands down...the cold water does the trick.

Next challenge. Have you ever made Deviled Eggs? You need to boil them then cut them in half and remove the center. But how do you get the yoke to stay in the center of the egg? Sometimes the yoke will be against the wall and the deviled egg just doesn't look good...in fact.. a mess sometimes.

:o I had that prob. Made a flat of devilled eggs for a party once, and boy, some yolks were a thin skin away from the big bad world. Oh well, I mixed up the devil (yolk, mayo, chopped chives, S&P, and paprika sprinkles) and spooned him into the angelic whites. Nobody cared about the look because the taste was divine as always.

OK. Maybe I'm just having bad luck, but these brown Thailand eggs just don't seem to peel as nicely as the white ones back home. I've tried everything and end up with an egg with craters like the moon rather than a nicely peeled hard boiled egg. My usual techniques are:

-Peeling them while they are still hot from the boiled water.

-Cracking the whole surface first into tiny pieces, then peeling.

-Try to always grab the underlying membrane along with the shell.

What are your success stories? Same experience? Any ideas would be a big help for the amature trying to impress his girl. :D

:o

When your egg is cooked remove from stove place under cold running water to stop the inside of the egg cooking

after 30 seconds take egg out of water crack on the table place back in bowl of cool water and peel

note hard boiled eggs always peel better in water GOOD LUCK