U.S. shutdown talks falter, Trump threatens emergency powers

rooster59

I am constantly mystified by this presidency. How is he even still in there? 

But, one thing is why wouldn't he just use emergency powers and build the wall? Are you telling me he has not done much more ridiculous thing on almost a daily basis and gotten away with it all? 

Just do it Trump. Declare and emergency, get your funding and build you wall. Simple. 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, direction BANGKOK said:

I am constantly mystified by this presidency. How is he even still in there? 

But, one thing is why wouldn't he just use emergency powers and build the wall? Are you telling me he has not done much more ridiculous thing on almost a daily basis and gotten away with it all? 

Just do it Trump. Declare and emergency, get your funding and build you wall. Simple. 

The concept of a wall was nothing more than a political stunt that caught fire.   It sounds good, but it is not workable or feasible.   It also will not solve the immigration problem.   About 45++% of all illegals enter legally and overstay their visa.   A wall will not stop this problem.   It will not address many of the other concerns about immigration.   

Border security is one part of a bigger problem and wall plays no part in it.   As a matter of fact, the instance on a wall is actually an impediment to the larger problems surrounding immigration.   

A wall is going to solve about as many immigration problems as a cup of sugar will cure diabetes.

7 hours ago, Credo said:

The concept of a wall was nothing more than a political stunt that caught fire.   It sounds good, but it is not workable or feasible.   It also will not solve the immigration problem.   About 45++% of all illegals enter legally and overstay their visa.   A wall will not stop this problem.   It will not address many of the other concerns about immigration.   

Border security is one part of a bigger problem and wall plays no part in it.   As a matter of fact, the instance on a wall is actually an impediment to the larger problems surrounding immigration.   

A wall is going to solve about as many immigration problems as a cup of sugar will cure diabetes.

I don't want a wall, my only point is he does. So, built it. Seems to me he has done far worse things than declaring a state of emergency to get a wall funded, and he always survives. I saw howard dean raise his fist in the air and that ended him, but this guy and the things he gets away with blow me away. 

5 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

He strikes me as being like a spoiled child - he will go to any lengths to get what he wants including throwing a tantrum - mental problems for certain.

Yes I would have to agree with comment about mental problems, this esp in light of the many lies he has told and keeps on telling............seems he does not know what "reality" is or maybe just mentally incapacitated, either way the guy is an imbecile which ever way you look at it, but what does that say about his supporters??

11 hours ago, direction BANGKOK said:

I don't want a wall, my only point is he does. So, built it. Seems to me he has done far worse things than declaring a state of emergency to get a wall funded, and he always survives. I saw howard dean raise his fist in the air and that ended him, but this guy and the things he gets away with blow me away. 

You don't want a wall, but suggest building it because it will make Trump happy?   That is how an absolute monarchy or a dictatorship; not a democracy.   

The gov't was shutdown in the past because of $3.4 billion for healthcare that they didn't want to fund.   But it's OK to waste $5 billion on a wall?   I think not.   

1 hour ago, Credo said:

You don't want a wall, but suggest building it because it will make Trump happy?   That is how an absolute monarchy or a dictatorship; not a democracy.   

The gov't was shutdown in the past because of $3.4 billion for healthcare that they didn't want to fund.   But it's OK to waste $5 billion on a wall?   I think not.   

It is not ok for him to to do about ten dozen things I can think of, but that hasn't stopped him, and he has gotten away with it all. Capiche? It is not ok, but that never stops him. 

3 minutes ago, direction BANGKOK said:

It is not ok for him to to do about ten dozen things I can think of, but that hasn't stopped him, and he has gotten away with it all. Capiche? It is not ok, but that never stops him. 

The democrats now control the house.

Capiche?

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

The democrats now control the house.

Capiche?

I didn't think he needed the democrats to declare an emergency and get funding. I am not a constitutional scholar though. 

He is between a rock and a hard place if you ask me. And with his ego, that is not good for any of us. I predict he will do something rash and drastic just to "win", but in fact everyone will lose, including him. we'll see...

32 minutes ago, direction BANGKOK said:

I didn't think he needed the democrats to declare an emergency and get funding. I am not a constitutional scholar though. 

He is between a rock and a hard place if you ask me. And with his ego, that is not good for any of us. I predict he will do something rash and drastic just to "win", but in fact everyone will lose, including him. we'll see...

If he tries the emergency thing, he will definitely be meeting resistance from the courts and from the house and yes it could possibly become a constitutional crisis. It's been assumed before that presidents wouldn't be totally insane. There'always a first time. Declaring national emergencies that definitely aren't national emergencies is something very new. 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If he tries the emergency thing, he will definitely be meeting resistance from the courts and from the house and yes it could possibly become a constitutional crisis. It's been assumed before that presidents wouldn't be insane. There's always a first time. 

He does firsts everyday, and nothing hurts him. He berated the pope for christ's sake. If he can do it via the emergency, I am betting he does it, consequences be damned. People like him are an easy read, look at his twitter feed. He is obsessed. He will lose everything just to "win" and get this built. Dems should do what they can to let him destroy himself. 

26 minutes ago, direction BANGKOK said:

He does firsts everyday, and nothing hurts him. He berated the pope for christ's sake. If he can do it via the emergency, I am betting he does it, consequences be damned. People like him are an easy read, look at his twitter feed. He is obsessed. He will lose everything just to "win" and get this built. Dems should do what they can to let him destroy himself. 

I think your view of him is very dated by now. He's not as Teflon as you think. He's sinking now.  The democrats taking the house is a huge change and that was mostly about having a check of him. He's going to be investigated in every direction including his personal and business finances and there is nothing he can do to stop that. Firing Mueller wouldn't stop that. If people think he's clean, there is nothing for him to worry about, but of course he is not clean. 

As far as the emergency thing, if it comes to that, I don't think he can actually do that much with it. If he does it will just be another political stunt for this base. The great wall of "trump" will never happen. 

1 hour ago, direction BANGKOK said:

History, and court rulings are not on Trump's side.   Truman tried to seize the operation of steel mills during the lead up to the Korean War on the basis of National Security.   His executive order did not stand the test of Congress and the Supreme Court rejected it.   

The situation may be slightly different, but I suspect the outcome will be the same if he tries it.   

The Korean War had the potential to become a 3rd WW.   The immigration problem, in perspective, is like someone leaving the door to the chicken coop open.   

Here's a little more on declaring a national emergency:

Rep. Adam Schiff: Trump Can't Declare National Emergency To Build Border Wall

Schiff, the incoming chairman of the House intelligence committee, told CNN’s Jake Tapper that not only is that rhetoric “really threatening,” but suggested that the president can’t even do that.  

If Harry Truman couldn’t nationalize the steel industry during wartime, this president doesn’t have the power to declare an emergency and build a multibillion-dollar wall on the border,” Schiff said on Tapper’s “State of the Union” Sunday. “So that’s a nonstarter.” 

Truman had cited a national emergency during the Korean War to take control of the steel industry in 1952, but the U.S. Supreme Court struck down his executive order.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/rep-adam-schiff-trump-can-t-declare-national-emergency-to-build-border-wall/ar-BBRTkdj?ocid=ob-fb-enus-280&fbclid=IwAR2DagsSFTrSgvw-LjbfLXmxT4PYqG_f03_-FFmiwi6h77dkaoxbqjzKgGI

Yes, but he can try and as he clearly admires dictators and wants to be one himself, expect things to get much worse before they get better (which starts when we can remove him) as the walls around him start to really put him in a very tight spot. Not only failing on the wall, which he already did by losing the midterms, but the soon to come revelations from the democratic led investigations of his criminally corrupt finances, etc. and also of course eventually the Mueller report. Stay tuned for more chaos and dread. 

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, but he can try and as he clearly admires dictators and wants to be one himself, expect things to get much worse before they get better (which starts when we can remove him) as the walls around him start to really put him in a very tight spot. Not only failing on the wall, which he already did by losing the midterms, but the soon to come revelations from the democratic led investigations of his criminally corrupt finances, etc. and also of course eventually the Mueller report. Stay tuned for more chaos and dread. 

Until he is slapped down, he will not stop.   The only ones capable of slapping him down on the issue of Emergency Powers is the Supreme Court.   I actually hope he tries it -- and loses.   

It's clear he doesn't care about anyone other than himself.   There is little, if any, support from people who have expertise on the issue of the Mexican border for the wall.   They have a lot of ideas and suggestions about what is needed and where.  

Someone as irrational as DT will not stop.   He needs to be stopped.   

23 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

He strikes me as being like a spoiled child - he will go to any lengths to get what he wants including throwing a tantrum - mental problems for certain.

Hogwash! Are you a Psychiatrist! 

2 hours ago, Credo said:

Until he is slapped down, he will not stop.   The only ones capable of slapping him down on the issue of Emergency Powers is the Supreme Court.   I actually hope he tries it -- and loses.   

It's clear he doesn't care about anyone other than himself.   There is little, if any, support from people who have expertise on the issue of the Mexican border for the wall.   They have a lot of ideas and suggestions about what is needed and where.  

Someone as irrational as DT will not stop.   He needs to be stopped.   

Plenty of truth, for the need of a wall ,  it's just  not being reported as much! The ineffective barriers have allowed thousands upon thousand to enter illegally through out past Administrations! Millions of American's want to see our borders protected!

Source ABC News 10

2 hours ago, riclag said:

Plenty of truth, for the need of a wall ,  it's just  not being reported as much! The ineffective barriers have allowed thousands upon thousand to enter illegally through out past Administrations! Millions of American's want to see our borders protected!

Source ABC News 10

The USA's borders already are protected. As for millions of Americans wanting the wall, so what? There are roughly 350 million Americans. The question is how does the majority feel about it.

7 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

The USA's borders already are protected. As for millions of Americans wanting the wall, so what? There are roughly 350 million Americans. The question is how does the majority feel about it.

Unsuccessful security at the borders  for decades !"AS for millions of Americans wanting the wall so what"!I could careless about what you think!

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:51 AM, rooster59 said:

Democrats have called the wall immoral, ineffective and medieval.

Would they tell that to the Israelis, who rather like their wall.

Doesn't matter what Trump does, the Trump haters will always hate him, so he's got absolutely nothing to lose by holding strong and not backing down.

However, if he does back down, he'll lose his base.

Shouldn't be a hard choice for the Donald- hateful Dems vs loyal base.

The ineffective barriers have allowed thousands upon thousand to enter illegally through out past Administrations!

But you want more of these "ineffective barriers"?

Millions of American's want to see our borders protected!

Then millions of Americans are ignorant, because the borders are already protected.  And if there are any spots where the protection is not as good as it could be, the solution is not a $20 billion wall.

Texas Republican congressman Will Hurd, who has the largest congressional district along the US/Mexico border:

You can't build a wall from sea to shining seal it just doesn't work. It's the most expensive and least effective way to do border security.

Texas Republican John Cornyn:

"I don't think we're going to be able to solve border security with a physical barrier because people can come under it, around it and through it."  He proposed a mixture of barriers and technological border security solutions, but was voted down by the republican-controlled state senate.

Republican senator Lisa Murkowski says it's impossible for Trump to get the funding he needs for his wall because the money simply isn't there:

“If you're going to spend that kind of money, you're going to have to show me where you're going to get that money."

It's only Trump and a handful of deficit-loving republicans who care about a massive, stupid, wasteful wall.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Dream on! If they had anything it would have been leaked long ago, IMO.

No leaks = nothing to leak.

Remember all the leaks before the election about the fact that the FBI was investigating the Trump campaign? Well, if you do, you're going to be remembering that alone. There were no leaks despite the allegations from the loony right that the FBI investigation was prejudiced against Trump. Wishful thinking much?

26 minutes ago, riclag said:

Unsuccessful security at the borders  for decades !"AS for millions of Americans wanting the wall so what"!I could careless about what you think!

Are you talking about the 4000 potential terrorists arrested at the borders? According to the WH the southern border, according to those in the know, foreign secretary, at airports?

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Dream on! If they had anything it would have been leaked long ago, IMO.

And that's why the grand jury's term has been extended, so that Mueller can continue to present his "nothing".  Right?  

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No leaks = nothing to leak.

You must be thinking of the administration, which leaks like a sieve.

3 minutes ago, attrayant said:

Texas Republican congressman Will Hurd, who has the largest congressional district along the US/Mexico border:

You can't build a wall from sea to shining seal it just doesn't work. It's the most expensive and least effective way to do border security.

The Israelis would disagree. They seem quite happy with their wall.

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The Israelis would disagree. They seem quite happy with their wall.

And for them, the huge expense is worth it. It's not people looking for jobs that the Israelis are concerned about.

Edit: although, come to think of it, as far as labor costs go, Israel has the draft. I doubt their conscripted soldiers get paid much.

Archived