visa confusion

Sorry for such an entry level post but despite the vast amount of internet searching I am no closer to a clear answer for myself. 

I came to Thailand, entering by air via BKK on Dec. 14, 2018 to visit my girlfriend for christmas. She is in Thailand teaching english. I have decided I would like to stay and explore Thailand and leave with her when she has finished her teaching term in mid-March. As a Canadian I entered without a formal visa as it is not required for Canadians, and believe I am here on a 30 visa currently. My passport is stamped as being "admitted until January 12th" even though on the departure card it talks about "if the alien stay longer than 90 days..." . 

From what I've researched I am only good until January 12th regardless of what is on the back of the departure card. If I leave March 13 that would be 90 days. What is required to stay up to 90 days? and what is required to stay more than 90 days?  

I am open to border runs, flying in and out, applying for additional visas, just about anything other than get married to a Thai, as my girlfriend might have an issue... ;) 

Any advice would be appreciated! TIA!

thanks for the info...!

from Pak Chong I believe the closest immigration office is Korat. Is there any way to get the necessary form(s) ahead of time to speed up the process? What documentation is required with the application for a thirty day extension?

You need this form: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/download/form_tm7.pdf

- Passport

- Some copies at your passport (should be no problem to get at the immigration office)

- Passport photo which you glue on page 2

- 1900 THB

Other than that you should read about "TM30" (just google it, you will find many topics here on Thaivisa about it), maybe it's required in Korat, maybe not ????

Edited by jackdd

• 2 weeks later...

So just an update...made the trek to Korat...bus ride from Pak Chung no problem...from bus station to immigration office requires a taxi as the immigration office is 15km/20min away and not really in the city...

Main office...asking for 30 extension of canadian 30 day entry visa...sent to out building...and that's where things got a little dicey...they required proof of where I was staying...the business card of the apartment nor a paid monthly rental receipt was sufficient...luckily they were able to contact the property manager who provided enough info that the officials completed a "receipt of notification" which basically says they have gotten notification from the place where I will reside for the next 30 days...

I was told that anytime you leave and go province to province you must notify the state of where you are and where you are going to be hanging your hat...in a number of hotels that is apparently done for you...but if you are staying at a bnb, condo, apt....you have to ensure that is being done or it is your responsibility to do so...interesting...can't see that is being done or enforced given the vast numbers of hostelers, hikers etc. but make sure you have that kind of info for sure if you are looking to extend a visa...duh...I know now... ???? 

• Like 1

So just an update...made the trek to Korat...bus ride from Pak Chung no problem...from bus station to immigration office requires a taxi as the immigration office is 15km/20min away and not really in the city...

Main office...asking for 30 extension of canadian 30 day entry visa...sent to out building...and that's where things got a little dicey...they required proof of where I was staying...the business card of the apartment nor a paid monthly rental receipt was sufficient...luckily they were able to contact the property manager who provided enough info that the officials completed a "receipt of notification" which basically says they have gotten notification from the place where I will reside for the next 30 days...

I was told that anytime you leave and go province to province you must notify the state of where you are and where you are going to be hanging your hat...in a number of hotels that is apparently done for you...but if you are staying at a bnb, condo, apt....you have to ensure that is being done or it is your responsibility to do so...interesting...can't see that is being done or enforced given the vast numbers of hostelers, hikers etc. but make sure you have that kind of info for sure if you are looking to extend a visa...duh...I know now... [emoji6] 
Sorry, just reading this now and not before or I would have warned you.

The same happened to me last year on a 30 day extension of a METV entry, they required not only the TM form, the passport copies and pics but a proof of address which on the first visit I was unable to provide as I was staying at my gf rented condo and I was completely unaware of.

On the second visit to Immigration office in Korat with all the papers provided (also the rent contract and documents about the condo which the owner gave us) we were able to extend my entry but my gf was fined with 800 bahts as she had not done the report of my address when I arrived as it is supposed to be done by law.

Were you or your gf fined as well?
  • Like 1

so now I am faced with a border run before Feb. 11th looking for a way to stay longer...I was pretty sure that crossing the border and returning would grant me a new 30 day visa exempt entry...but does it have to be by air to be 30 days? does a crossing by land only warrant a 15 day exemption? Sorry if this is an elementary question but trust me I have been reading, but information always seems to be conflicting.

Tourist Visa Exemption

According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements dated 1 October B.E. 2545 (2002), 20 December B.E. 2545 (2002), 18 October B.E. 2547 (2004), 6 May B.E. 2548 (2005), and 23 June 2554 (2011), passport holders from 48 countries and 1 special administrative region - Hong Kong SAR - are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days on each visit. If such foreigners enter the Kingdom at the immigration checkpoints which border neighboring countries, they will be allowed to stay for 15 days each time, except Malaysian nationals who cross the borderline from Malaysia whose granted period of stay will not exceed 30 days each time.

Anyone have a best scenario for a border run by land starting in Pak Chong? Obviously cheaper to do a land run if it gets you a new 30 but am getting to the point that flying out of BKK just seems simpler. This Thai expat stuff is tough! 

Thanks in advance!

if you are staying longer than 60 days it would be better to do an overnite stay and obtain tourist visa that will give you a 60 day entry which can be extended by 30 days.

keep up to date with tm30 forms, if a visit to local immigration office is needed

only 2 land border crossing are allowed per calendar year, but you get a 30 day stamp