Weekend CM Shopping List. Whetstone, Fake snakes, Kasem Coffee, DVD's

LomSak27

Whetstone, Fake snakes, Kasem Coffee, DVD’s. Weekend Shopping List

Any help on locating this items>

Whetstone for knives which seem incredibly dull at present.

Fake snakes - Yes I am serious. I cannot put netting on the ledge. I am at war with a remorseless flock of pigeons. They are winning.

Kasem Store – Do they still roast their own – or get fresh roasted coffee? My coffee supply has been used up, Everything I have been buying, blah. Not expecting great things but if fresh roasted beans, might make do. WARNING – I have not been here for a decade so have no idea how the store is going, how their coffee is, or if it is even still there after the deluge of upscale expat yuppie marts.

DVD’s – Is the only place left the Night Market and Boomerang ( at Central festival) any recommendations. Looking for recent films and series

Any help on this and these, much appreciated.

Thanks

10 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

I'm looking for anything ... :biggrin:

Good luck with that ! Next door has a fake snake on their ledge. Pigeons built a nest next to it and occasionally trip over it as they chase each other along the ledge. I bought one of those plastic pellet guns to shoot them and they dodge from side to side to miss the bullets as they are fired.

I reckon it has to be poison or real bullets !!

Just now, cmsally said:

reckon it has to be poison or real bullets !!

I have hit them three times now with half a quart of boiling water. I'm up when it is still dark making coffee, so ... Tomorrow morning I might see about a full quart if I catch them roosting.

At first I felt bad about it ... Now I don't. 

4 hours ago, cmsally said:

Good luck with that ! Next door has a fake snake on their ledge. Pigeons built a nest next to it and occasionally trip over it as they chase each other along the ledge. I bought one of those plastic pellet guns to shoot them and they dodge from side to side to miss the bullets as they are fired.

I reckon it has to be poison or real bullets !!

4 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

I have hit them three times now with half a quart of boiling water. I'm up when it is still dark making coffee, so ... Tomorrow morning I might see about a full quart if I catch them roosting.

At first I felt bad about it ... Now I don't. 

You guys are doing it wrong. You'll have to get to source of the problem, 'band-aids' doesn't help.

29 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

If you are serious about sharpening your knives, and want to do a professional job, message me.

I have an EdgePro Apex sharpening system I'd like to sell. Look it up on the Net. Make a reasonable offer and it's yours.

Had one of these for over 30 years -

https://lansky.com/index.php/precision-sharpening-kits/

4 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Had one of these for over 30 years -

https://lansky.com/index.php/precision-sharpening-kits/

When used with their diamond stones, Lansky sharpeners are very handy.

2 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Two grades of sandpaper will sharpen most steel knives. Regardless of method used, stainless steel is difficult to sharpen. To sharpen a ceramic blade, send it back to the factory.

Most high quality kitchen knives today are some form of stainless steel, unless you use the Japanese hand-forged knives, such as Shun.  Henckels Pro line, Wursthof, MAC, Michel Bras,  Masamoto VG-10 ,... these are all Stainless steel.  Not difficult to sharpen at all, if you have the right stones. And for those with older ceramic blades that have lost their edge, I can sharpen these for you in about 15 minutes, back to a shaving edge. Less hassle than sending them back to the factory, but most of the factory jobs are free. I'd have to charge something.

Charging money for services in Thailand requires a 'work visa', if farang. I wonder if 'knife sharpener' is on the govt approved list of farang employment opportunities.

When i was a boy in USA big city a man pushing a cart dinging a bell would wander through the neighborhood sharpening knives, as you waited.  He used a big grindstone wheel and pedaled the wheel round and round while moving the blade across the wet stone. 

And IMO, softer steel knives are generally superior for edges, although such knives need a bit more care, compared to SS knives. 

I eschew electric powered stones, or grinding wheels. 

Thanks for all the help. However I found a whetstone on my rounds yesterday. This is no big thing, I always seem to have two really sharp knives and three or more that couldn't cut butter. Now that I have a longer term residence, I can get these things fixed. 

Sun is out, beautiful morning. I am going to take my big bike out while the traffic is still asleep. No pigeons roosting last night - the hot water seems to have worked. That doesn't mean they won't come back during the day time but.

For all you KSG fans, do you remember buying DVD's up on the 3rd floor?! There was a shop in Pantip too, that had sets ... was that the Mai Sai Chinese connection? Dating myself now. I have a friend that insists I watch The Death Of Stalin, but having a hard time getting a copy.

Aloha

Archived