Layan lockout: Public access denied amid Supreme Court wrangle for B10bn beachfront land

rooster59

Layan lockout: Public access denied amid Supreme Court wrangle for B10bn beachfront land

By The Phuket News

1546593087_1-org.jpg

One of the gates that once allowed access to Layan Beach is now chain-locked to prevent trespassers. Photo: The Phuket News

PHUKET: MaAnn Samran, Chief of the Cherng Talay Tambon Administration Organisation (OrBorTor) is advising people to keep clear and not enter any gates installed at properties along the Layan beachfront while the Supreme Court hears an appeal by five people claiming to own the land in question.

The Supreme Court last held a hearing on the appeals late last month, but has yet to rule on any of the appeals, he said.

“Gates have been installed and locked to prevent public access to several properties along the beachfront. The gates remain there because there is nothing I can do while the appeals are being heard in court,” Mr MaAnn told The Phuket News.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/layan-lockout-public-access-denied-amid-supreme-court-wrangle-for-b10bn-beachfront-land-69895.php#Zuyem1U6fJYvsR9v.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-01-05

What doesn't seem to be addressed in the article is the following question:

If the latest and most authoritative ruling thus far in the case in a Supreme Court ruling from 2017 that the land/beachfront is state owned property (and not private business property), then why is the Thai government/DSI using that status to block public access to the beaches over public land?

Ahh...this is Thailand.  Here, government owned obviously is not the same as public owned.

37 minutes ago, stevenl said:

MaAnn never can do anything about anything.

Unbelievable this guy is still there, while everybody else in a similar position has been replaced.

He has pictures.

Or the infamous 'little black book' like Chuwit?

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What doesn't seem to be addressed in the article is the following question:

If the latest and most authoritative ruling thus far in the case in a Supreme Court ruling from 2017 that the land/beachfront is state owned property (and not private business property), then why is the Thai government/DSI using that status to block public access to the beaches over public land?

Ahh...this is Thailand.  Here, government owned obviously is not the same as public owned.

The businesses are blocking access, not Thai government.

Just noticed in the article, mr. MaAnn can't remember who the people claiming the land are, how much land is involved and which of the plots is involved. ROFL

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

Just noticed in the article, mr. MaAnn can't remember who the people claiming the land are, how much land is involved and which of the plots is involved. ROFL

Poor chap probably gets so many brown envelopes he gets confused.

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

The businesses are blocking access, not Thai government.

That's not what the OP article seems to be saying:

...were all declared state land by the Supreme Court as far back as Nov 1, 2017.

Within two weeks, Department of Special Investigation (DSI) Chief Pol Col Paisit Wongmuang and DSI Deputy Chief Lt Col Prawut Wongsrinil made the trip to Phuket in person to oversee the posting of public notices physically on the plots to inform the public that the Supreme Court had ruled that the plots were government land and that any persons found encroaching on it would face criminal legal action.

42 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's not what the OP article seems to be saying:

Can't copy and paste from the mobile. By heart, your quote is from 2017. There is later in the op a reference to the present situation, which I read as that the businesses have closed it off.

On rereading, again and again, I'm not clear on who has put the chains on. Confusing.

Just to add, obviously, DSI could have posted notices saying any BUSINESSES encroaching on the government land would face prosecution. But that's not what the above article says.

The notices supposedly were specifically/broadly addressed to the "public" and the prohibition was against "any persons" -- not just anyone trying to operate or run a business on government land.

Just now, stevenl said:

Can't copy and paste from the mobile. By heart, your quote is from 2017. There is later in the op a reference to the present situation, which I read as that the businesses have closed it off.

The OP article posted a few hours ago contained the snippet I posted above, as well as a separate section focused on the encroaching businesses.

Mr MaAnn warned that people who cross land that is now gated may be sued for trespass.

“Some of the plots have businesses on them and allow people onto the land, but others do not.

“If the owner (sic) allows people and even vehicles onto the land, you will be fine, but if they do not, it would be better to simply avoid crossing that piece of land,” he said.

“There are many other ways to get to the beach. It would be best to use them,” he added.

It's not clear to me at all, from the article, how the businesses issue MaAnn is talking about above intersects with the keep out notices posted by the DSI in the wake of the Supreme Court ruling declaring the land government property.

18 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The OP article posted a few hours ago contained the snippet I posted above, as well as a separate section focused on the encroaching businesses.

It's not clear to me at all, from the article, how the businesses issue MaAnn is talking about above intersects with the keep out notices posted by the DSI in the wake of the Supreme Court ruling declaring the land government property.

Just edited my post after some rereading, it is unclear to me.

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“Gates have been installed and locked to prevent public access to several properties along the beachfront. The gates remain there because there is nothing I can do while the appeals are being heard in court,” Mr MaAnn told The Phuket News.

I don't think the article ever makes it clear, not surprisingly, just who actually installed the gates blocking access and under what authority... The supposed private landowners, the local government, the DSI???   Who the H knows... And the article sure isn't clearly telling.

Although there's a seeming hint where the local government guy says he can't do anything about the gates or face being sued for destruction of PRIVATE property....

On 1/5/2019 at 9:40 PM, stuarty said:

So the supreme court of Thailand is not the highest authority in their ruling? Can anyone advise who these asshats like Paul, Beach 2 etc are further appealing to, oir is Ma Ann just spinning a yarn again??

He makes corkscrews seem straight!

Archived