BANGKOK 20 February 2019 05:44
westbounder

Drilling a 3/4" hole in floor tile

Hi,

I have a tile counter top in my house kitchen. 

I need to drill a 3/4" or 2 cm. wide hole in the tile for the gas line to go to my stove.

How can I do this and also do a nice job without chipping or breaking the tile?
Is there a special drill bit I can buy?

Thank You

A diamond hole-saw is your friend. Slow speed, maybe some water coolant.

I'll move this to DIY as it's not CM specific.

• Like 2

I have drilled som holes in tiles, not tops but bathroom walls,

using ordinary drillbits for steel, bits for concrete should also work

The diamond core by far the best, but often the expense doesnt justify a single use.

next option if you have a large hole is to stitch drill around the circle with a tungsten carbide bit. If its not going to too visible can easily sand down the edges afterwards.

For holes a tad bigger than yours I do it the Thai way with the grinder. With practice you can sweep around a circle very quickly and then do most grinding from the back. Holes are quite neat.

Always a good idea to keep the drill bits wet as the heat and friction involved will crack tge tile.

Plenty of small elyptical carbide tile drills in the hardware shops for a few baht. Off the moat SE corner, bbig place selling plywood is the one to hit.

You can buy a special bit for ceramics. I never bought one as I always managed to get the hole in a place where the joints crossed, starting, gently, with a smaller bit than I need to finish with. Once you've got through the concrete the vibrations reduce significantly.

Another method that has always worked for me is to start with a center point just making a small chip in the tile (so the drill doesn't slip).  Then start with your smallest masonry bit, moving up in size until you get the hole you need.

• Thanks 1

Remember to turn the hammer action off  until you are through the tile 😋

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

A diamond hole-saw is your friend. Slow speed, maybe some water coolant.

I'll move this to DIY as it's not CM specific.

Since you need a 2cm hole. Holesaw is your best option,  the cheap ones in Ma Pa shop (about 100bht) worked well for my holes in porcelain tiles with no chipping.  They are pretty much garbage after 4 holes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigT73 said:

Since you need a 2cm hole. Holesaw is your best option,  the cheap ones in Ma Pa shop (about 100bht) worked well for my holes in porcelain tiles with no chipping.  They are pretty much garbage after 4 holes.

Well to be fair porcelain will not even give in to carbide bits so yes a 100bt cubic zirconia glass diamond hole cutter will do well to last 4 times.

For 100bt tho thats worth the expense.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

One thing to also consider is what’s below the tile?... Most likely 3-4 inches of concrete with rebar... Make sure your largest bit can go the full depth...

Also if you make a bit of a mess of it you can buy a plastic hole cover to hide your messy cut.... Homepro & Nana Screw sells something like this in different sizes...

F187F48A-E76B-438B-981B-44F2812A7DC9.jpeg

Edited by sfokevin

is the tile porcelain, if so a water cooled hole cutter will be required.

tile hole cutter.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:27 PM, steve187 said:

is the tile porcelain, if so a water cooled hole cutter will be required.

tile hole cutter.jpg

We used similar in the UK, but our ones had a drill in the middle enabling you to get an accurate position without it drifting. Not seen anything like it in Thailand but I haven't looked, So they might be available.

3 hours ago, fredob43 said:

We used similar in the UK, but our ones had a drill in the middle enabling you to get an accurate position without it drifting. Not seen anything like it in Thailand but I haven't looked, So they might be available.

the problem with the drill in the middle type is that this centre drill will not penetrate the porcelain

4 minutes ago, steve187 said:

the problem with the drill in the middle type is that this centre drill will not penetrate the porcelain

The trick is to use a centre-punch on the tile to start the drill..........this breaks through the enamel surface allowing it to penetrate and once you get through the surface coating it is plain sailing. Done it many times.

9 minutes ago, steve187 said:

I used a masonary bit first and took the drill off hammer, the drillbit on the holesaw is just a guide so it doesnt slip.