BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

puukao

At what age did you lose your coordination?

I'm right at the age of retirement, and in the last year I had to come to some pretty awful conclusions.  I'm simply not coordinated in the same way as a few years ago, and this means zero chance of buying a motorbike.  It's little stumbling in your room that makes you realize this is getting older.  If you met me, you would think i'm very athletic.  And probably very coordinated; however, I know I'm losing that edge I had only a few years ago.  Yesterday I ran about 12 kilometers at a decent clip, but only because it's a relatively safe exercise.  The more dangerous exercises are not shelved. 

Today I saw an older guy cross a road on his bicycle without looking for cars, and a car had to drastically slow for him.  He was maybe 55 with an expensive bike.  I'm sure he thinks he's OK.  I see this countless times in CM.  

We live in the most accident-ridden city in the known Universe, and I think a few of us should really ask ourselves, "Should I really be driving a motorbike?"  Especially after we spill a drink, or stumble at night, or do something that clearly marks our age.   

It's slightly depressing, but I think I'm preventing myself from being a statistic.  Of course anything can happen, but if we are old and losing coordination, we are risking others as well.  We should know better.

OK my children, sleep well..... lol.  

My answer:  At the age of 50, I realized I need to slow down.  Don't cry for me.  lol.  

Maybe this should be moved to another section, but I'm trying to help people in CM decide not to ride a motorbike and crash into me tonight.  haha.  

Been riding over 50 years. Living here for the last 5, all over LOS for the previous 10.

Driving here not so bad. I learned at an early age that everyone else on the road is trying to kill you. This goes for every country in which I spent any time.

While riding you need to pay attention - ATTENTION - and you will be OK. No finding an address, no looking at pretty girls. Watch the front tires of surrounding vehicles - your first indication while in traffic what the yahoo is going to do. Cover the brake at all times. But let it slip for a second and you become a statistic. Close calls - can't count that high. But I am still here, and will ride until I go up in smoke.

Just spare a thought for 50% of the population that never had any co ordination.

Glad I was born a man.

Puukao

Okay, slow down but don't toss it in.  Do some exercises about balance and coordination.  Do some meditation or other activity to improve focus.    Improvement of those conditions is possible and often not that difficult.  You most likely can get some of that edge back.

Just drink more..........youll soon forget all about it

3 hours ago, puukao said:

My answer:  At the age of 50, I realized I need to slow down.  Don't cry for me.  lol. 

I was chasing a young Russian chick uphill along a trail in the Doi Suthep jungle this morning.

Didn't trip, didn't fall, kept up with a bit of gasping. I'm 62, don't give up, if you give up, you're dead.

3 hours ago, puukao said:

Yesterday I ran about 12 kilometers at a decent clip ...

"Should I really be driving a motorbike?" 

Sounds like you're in pretty good condition, congratulations !

imho, unless you've been riding motosai's for many years, and are an expert, hypervigilant, rider, with great vision and keen hearing, I think to start riding one now is throwing the  dice for prizes like orthopedic surgery, and cremation.

Around age 60 I thought about getting one; then, I talked to a long-time expat here who is well-known for his motosai riding skills and adventures: he told me I'd be a fool to start riding at my age ... and I was in good condition, then, myself.

I have too many close calls rising a bicycle round here.

~o:37;

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I was chasing a young Russian chick uphill along a trail in the Doi Suthep jungle this morning.

Didn't trip, didn't fall, kept up with a bit of gasping. I'm 62, don't give up, if you give up, you're dead.

Making up more stories......

You are a lot older than 62

I noticed it when throwing freshly opened beer bottle tops from the sofa to the bin in the kitchen. I used to nail it but have gone way off lately.. Up to 1 meter either side and some even landing in the sink.

6 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

There was a guy here called mr.hippo - I think he was a cyclist that got in a ba accident

Did he hit a sheep?

There is no reason for a healthy person in their 50's-60's to even assume that they are losing their coordination. The key word is 'healthy.'

I'm 72. Last year I won the Gold Medal in Men's Foil in an international Fencing tournament sponsored by the Royal Thai Navy.  There's no doubt I can't move as fast as I did in my 30's, nor as agile, but certainly no loss of coordination!

If you feel as if you are losing it, please... get a full health check and specifically address that issue with the doctors.

Thanks for the replies.  I have a brain and am now trying to think.... maybe there was an imbalance in my ear (I stopped using q-tips for my ears) or my vision (had laser surgery forever ago) and so maybe will get some drops.

Maybe I'm just overthinking things and worried that I have had zero problems, maybe it's time.  In the last five years, maybe four people died in Thailand or the UK who I knew about.  

OK, tomorrow tight rope walking over a pit of crocodiles. 

On 1/5/2019 at 4:58 PM, puukao said:

If at only 50 you feel the need to slow down because you are losing coordination then I'd get yourself to a hospital and have as many tests as possible.  

At 50 I felt no different mentally or physically to when I was 30.  I certainly didn't feel I needed to slow down or that my coordination or reaction times where any different, and at 52 now I still feel the same.  If you are still running then it sounds like you are probably in good shape physically, but maybe there is something you need to get sorted out. 

On 1/5/2019 at 8:44 PM, MrPatrickThai said:

There was a guy here called mr.hippo - I think he was a cyclist that got in a ba accident

And ???