At what age did you lose your coordination?

puukao

If you're only 50 and have a problem with coordination , you need to get tested.  

When we turn 50 is more important than ever before to start living a healthy lifestyle, which means more exercise, less alcohol, less fatty food, doing the right things so you can enjoy old age and escape the worst diseases. Of course there are no guarantees , but I will not gamble with my life. 

Other factors, for sure, is that I've known about seven people to die because of accidents in the last few years.  A few hit by cars, and some hit by a person drunk on a motorbike who didn't stop when the person i knew was at a red light (on a motorbike, crashed from behind).  I also saw a few bad accidents the last week, and maybe it's all got in my head at once.  

I even saw an older farang drive his motorbike in the middle of the road and gently hit a car.  everyone yelled at him, he seemed clueless.  maybe 60 years old, or less.  There is just no way i'm ending up like that.  

Of course we can't play football like the young kids, our knees would explode and age would be obvious.  

If I was in my 20's, I might say, "man, maybe i should train for something like this."   The point of this tread is that now I say, "There is 0% chance I'm trying something like that, but an overnight hike up a mountain is still possible."

On 1/8/2019 at 12:05 PM, puukao said:

Thinking about this more, I have a few thoughts:

1.  I've very athletic, so maybe I'm like a boxer who knows they lost their "super fast" jab.  To some, my jab now might be super impressive, but to me, it's clearly not like before.  I am hard on myself.

2.  I've had blood tests and other tests at the hospital during my own yearly check-up, no issues.

3.  I can still easily play basketball, run up and down a mountain, swim doing flip-turns, ping pong, and body fat is probably in the top 5%.

I guess I'm just convincing myself that a motorbike in CM is not for me, and recently I've heard so many horrible stories of older people crashing.  My mind would still like to race around the city, testing my limit, feeling young.......i don't mean simply going from A to B.  

We all have different "gut feelings," and mine says to slow down on the younger mindset of taking chances, because i might not be able to weave in and out of traffic like if i was 18.  

I'm even quite good at racquetball, which takes coordination.

So I THINK what I meant was "I lost my edge."    Yes, that's it.  

At first I wondered if it was coordination, but not in the general sense.  Maybe to my standard, but I really mean I lost my edge.  

Like skiing down a mountain.  You are young, strong bones, go 70 kph and get the rush of endorphins.  But now I would be at 60 kph, not as confident as before.  

Now that I think about it, that's really what I meant.   

Loosing ones edge...  Its noticeable at any stage of life... 

I'm 44.. Still play football (soccer)... but I noticed my speed start to drop off at about 33 years old...  I can still play twice per week... but 3 times per-week is too much and the ankles hurt when I do. 

I've just got back from skiing...  60kmh was a regular speed, but not too much more than that.. last year I hit 90+kmh... but I'm not going for records, just skiing the conditions (quality of the slopes, visibility and how busy it is)... 

I've recently started motorcycling in Bangkok (1 year)... but the coordination and road awareness is one thing which would concern me more than anything... Having driven here for something like 20 years already the motorcycle 'thing' is understanding the unpredictability of others more than any other issue...  of course, it depends on how the coordination has deteriorated. 

My father in the UK should really not be driving (at 80 years old) but he won't listen, I see his coordination start to noticeably deteriorate at about 78 years old...... but he still played table-tennis with us this Christmas holiday, his hand eye coordination was excellent, however, he nearly fell over... it seemed the 'balance' messages never quite reached his feet in time !.. 

.....thus, this is a very considerate thread...  IF at any stage I thought myself not fit to ride a motorcycle or drive, I would like to think I am sensible enough to stop. 

All of that said... fitness, physical and mental is very individual and must be evaluated on individual merit. 

On 1/8/2019 at 12:05 PM, puukao said:

So I THINK what I meant was "I lost my edge."    Yes, that's it.  

At first I wondered if it was coordination, but not in the general sense.  Maybe to my standard, but I really mean I lost my edge.  

Like skiing down a mountain.  You are young, strong bones, go 70 kph and get the rush of endorphins.  But now I would be at 60 kph, not as confident as before.  

Now that I think about it, that's really what I meant.   

I admire how you've taken care of yourself !

At the risk of sounding like a doom-sayer: I think you can be young, healthy, sober, coordinated, and an expert motosai rider, and still be at high risk of being injured or killed, here; imho, the problem is the insane, reckless, behavior of Thai drivers.

A friend once asked me about the major method of birth control in Thailand: without hesitation, I said: "traffic."

~o:37;

On 1/5/2019 at 8:44 PM, BritManToo said:

I was chasing a young Russian chick uphill along a trail in the Doi Suthep jungle this morning.

Didn't trip, didn't fall, kept up with a bit of gasping. I'm 62, don't give up, if you give up, you're dead.

Did you catch her? and then what?

5 minutes ago, jvs said:

I was chasing a young Russian chick uphill along a trail in the Doi Suthep jungle this morning.

Didn't trip, didn't fall, kept up with a bit of gasping. I'm 62, don't give up, if you give up, you're dead.

Did you catch her? and then what?

He found out she was Russian?

On 1/5/2019 at 11:18 PM, madmen said:

I noticed it when throwing freshly opened beer bottle tops from the sofa to the bin in the kitchen. I used to nail it but have gone way off lately.. Up to 1 meter either side and some even landing in the sink.

If its your sink, don't worry about it...... if its the neighbors sink.... worry

On 9/21/2018 at 1:08 PM, billd766 said:

Welcome aboard.

Of course you can.

You may not like all the responses and replies that you get but that's life.

Has anyone had a hip replacement in or around the Pattaya area - if so can you advise approximate cost and which hospital- (not Bangkok Pattaya it’s to expensive as I don’t have insurance) 

3 minutes ago, Peter Crowe said:

Has anyone had a hip replacement in or around the Pattaya area - if so can you advise approximate cost and which hospital- (not Bangkok Pattaya it’s to expensive as I don’t have insurance) 

You would probably find some answers about hip replacement surgery in the Health and Medicine forum. Here are some of the hip replacement topics that are running, they are not Pattaya related though:

If you post in the Health forum, perhaps somebody will know about hip replacement costs in Pattaya. 

I had the first serious loss of coordination recently at age 49. I was with a new gf, all of 20, moving from all fours to one leg over my right shoulder. That meant as her right leg came up, I need to lift my left knee and plant my left foot for balance and control.

We had only been together a month, I have gained some weight around the middle, she is a little short . . . The result was I missed the move with my left leg and fell forward into her. Good at first, but my forward motion and lack of coordination smacked her head against the bed post.

It was not the end of the relationship. But things went downhill from there.

Nothing helps balance and control like yoga. No matter how lovely she is, never talk to your pillion while driving.

Loss of coordination? 

At 51 I ride a cable wakeboard all day Saturday and Sunday every week with many additional trips when ever I find the time. 

I had ridden off and on before behind a boat, but I have been riding cable solid for the the last year and a half with rapid progress including flips, spins and plastic obstacles. 

Likewise I ride dirt bikes and mountain bikes. As I am not 20, i am aware that some care is required, as I a most certainly more brittle, and I must build strength suitable to the task, and progress more deliberate, but I ride with 20, and 30 year olds and I am well on the pace of a typical intermediate rider. 

I really don't beleive that sudden loss of Coordination happens if you remain active. 

A Sedentary life will dull you, and perhaps the mental effect of know injury could be more severe will slow you down, but a sudden loss is unlikely unless there are medical reasons. 

this week zero problems, after i cleaned my ears.  maybe pseudo-effect, who knows.  ran about 13 kms today, hot out, and had to avoid 70,000 different things around the city.  so maybe i'm not too bad.  

but i still know i lost my edge or maybe i lost my ability to focus for hours and hours, maybe.  it's probably more slight than i first thought, but it's gone.  mountain biking is different, it's more of a skill that can stay with you for a long time.  you aren't going terribly fast, focus for a few minutes, no need to focus if flat or uphill.  unless racing downhill, then it's different.  i'm talking about being on a motorbike around this city for hours and hours and hours.......sure, go slow, blah, blah.... but i'm 90% sure I would have an accident within one year.  last accident driving a motor vehicle?  maybe 30-years, but i know a motorbike and me in this city for an extended period of time isn't good.  

it's harder to explain than i thought...... i've narrowly missed a zillion cars that randomly stop in front of me, but a miss is a miss.  on a motorbike, i'm sure i would misjudge it once.  

anyhow, i am just trying to be self-aware, and hopefully some other "older" people on here are re-thinking their skills in this heat with a zillion cars driving everywhichway and might consider a safer alternative.  

its  better if shes  chasing you

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:37 PM, hyku1147 said:

OP - get tested. Otherwise your mind may defeat you.

Are you over worked? Do you get enough sleep?

Are you getting poor advice? Case in point: I was power lifting 3 weeks ago, and the force from the bench press transferred to the balls of my feet. In other words, I had hyper extended my leg drive. I was pain ridden for 10 days. During this period, I mentioned said details to a 70 year old pal. "Your getting old, your tendons are weakening, and you shouldn't train heavy in your 50's" I nodded politely. I proceeded to rest for 3 weeks. Now my foot is fine, and the remainder of my body has benefited from the time off.

"When the Grim Reaper calls, kick him in the nuts as hard as you can. Then he may smile and say - just testing kid."

Gyms. Worst place to go if you want keep fit and healthy. I've only found one good use for a gym.

You find one that is a brisk 30 min walk from your home. You walk there, turn around and walk home again.

I'm 73 next week. I walk daily, swim regularly and practice Chi Gong twice a day. My philosophy on fitness is 'no pain=no strain'.

I ride my motorcycle often and enjoy every moment of it. (except when nag's on the back telling me to 'slow down'!) IMO riding a M/C sharpens the mind and helps to keep you alert.

A few years ago, I started to help out with some vision screening clinics in elementary schools. There were several vision screenings that us non-professionals could do, like using an iPad to check the for "color acuity" (i.e. color blindness), run 'em through an eye chart to check for distance vision problems, etc before the doctor actually peered into their eyes with the special equipment.

Anyway one of the tests was with a for depth perception, where the kids wear glasses like you wear at a 3D movies and look at images in a special book.  That's where I learned that I have really bad depth perception.  Really bad.  It explains a lifetime of little low-speed fender-bender accidents where I misjudged distance and where I do stupid stuff in the kitchen, like break glass wear and chip china when washing dishes because I hit it on the kitchen faucet.  I just flat-out misjudge distances.

I asked the eye doctor doing the clinics what can be done and he said "don't waste your money on 3D movies"  I'd already figured that out because I never saw what the fuss was about with 3D and often got headaches watching them.  He also suggested that maybe Hubby should taking over the dish washing.  

I'm glad I don't have to drive in Thailand!

Archived