Old Firm referee John Beaton calls police after threats

LucysDad

I watched this game live last week; I thought the referee was brilliant, let play flow and helped create a feisty local derby.

Referee John Beaton has contacted police to say he has been targeted with threatening messages following last weekend's Old Firm match.

Beaton was criticised after Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos escaped punishment for several incidents in their 1-0 win over Celtic at Ibrox.

Police Scotland confirmed "a complaint has been made regarding texts and calls received by a 36-year-old man".

They add that "inquiries are ongoing into this matter".

Celtic on Friday called on Beaton to be allowed to explain his decisions publicly. The Scottish champions also want a meeting with Scottish FA chief executive Ian Maxwell.

The SFA reviewed the Morelos incidents, in which he appeared to make contact off the ball with Scott Brown, Anthony Ralston and Ryan Christie.

But, because referee Beaton saw all three, no retrospective action can take place on this basis.

The SFA responded to Celtic's statement by saying they would be happy to meet with clubs to discuss their concerns.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46766065

Looking at the videos of the three incidents they all looked bookable to me.

From a non Old Firm perspective I find the rules on retrospective action rather confusing as to say the ref has seen them and chosen to do nothing therefore no further scrutiny is permitted by officials is harking back to the dark ages.

Ref's get one viewing of an incident....let the video refs decide if further punishment is warranted by any player later.

40 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Looking at the videos of the three incidents they all looked bookable to me.

From a non Old Firm perspective I find the rules on retrospective action rather confusing as to say the ref has seen them and chosen to do nothing therefore no further scrutiny is permitted by officials is harking back to the dark ages.

Ref's get one viewing of an incident....let the video refs decide if further punishment is warranted by any player later.

Old school thinking centered on not embarrassing the officials methinks.

Just now, jellydog said:

Old school thinking centered on not embarrassing the officials methinks.

Yes and in truth those days are long gone.

We accept refs make mistakes of course now and that's why such measures should be available after the game to discourage cheating.

Archived