Starting restaurant as sole ownership in a Thai's name

orientalist

My gf is taking over an unregistered restaurant business (in a rented shophouse unit) and I need to know:

1. Does it have to be registered with Or Bor Tor (TAO)?

2. Does registration require a registered office (other than the place of the restaurant)?

3. What percentage of revenue does the Revenue Dept consider as expenses in the restaurant category?

1. Yes, because your girlfriend will need a food license.

2. No, because your girlfriend will register as a sole trader, not as a limited company.

3. Expenditure is calculated on actual claimable expenditure, not on a percentage basis. However most sole traders do not make enough profit to pay income tax.

Thanks, Blackcab. Are the business registration at Or Bor Tor and the food licence two separate applications?

From what I've read, the Revenue Dept simplifies things (or used to) for sole owners by designating expenses as a fixed X% of revenue depending on the type of business. Is this not the case now? I'm guessing that few sole business owners keep all their expense receipts for the year.

Does the business owner have to apply for a tax ID immediately (in addition to their existing personal tax ID?) and submit a tax forecast 6 months into the year?

Business registration and food license are two separate applications.

If tge Revenue Department offer a fixed percentage of revenue to sole traders then that is convenient.  Please let us know the percentage as it will help others in the future.

I can't answer regarding the tax ID for sole traders.

Archived