Chum Phae

expat1010

No one?

I hesitate to answer because I don't live in the city but somewhat away.

Just being there regularly.

Long term accommodations:

there is plenty of new built apartment blocks which look pretty neat/clean.

Restaurants:

don't expect too much of "farang"/foreign food stuff in restaurants.

There is about a handful of "farang" meeting points/restaurants.

There is a Friday evening "Walking Street" where you can easily meet English speaking foreigners.

Gyms:

at least the two "upper class" hotels have gym and pool where you can book monthly packages or so. The "Chewin" hotel centrally located has just opened a few months ago after newly build (you still find the old shabby one on the net).

Transport:

what transport do you have? Car? Motorcycle?

For moving around the city a scooter is sufficient.

But I wouldn't want to live in the area without a car/pickup.

Basic shopping is available, Lotus (with some of the usual chain restaurants/fast food) and Makro. And of course a couple of 7/11 plus market and other shops.

For the special stuff (imported delicatessen) you have to drive to Khon Kaen (80 km) or even to Udon Thani (140 km). Khon Kaen is an easy one day trip by car (all four lane).

Udon as a one day is a bit on the edge (two lane road for 80 km).

Both Khon Kaen as well as Udon have airports with plenty of flights to Bangkok and a few other domestic destinations (Phuket, Chiang Mai, U-Tapao, Hat Yai, Ubon).

Rumor is, that Chum Phae will be the capitol of a newly created province (western part of KK). But how long that will take?

One indicator is the expansion of the hospital which at least now has a proper operation room. But for upper class medical treatment you will also have to look for Khon Kaen or Udon.

Be aware that the region is not swamped with foreigners.

Little English knowledge at most places incl. banks, offices etc.

The good side is that Thai people are not that fed up/spoiled with foreigners like in the tourist regions.

Will you live alone?

On 1/6/2019 at 10:57 PM, expat1010 said:

Thanks for the reply and info.

Have a GF who lives and works in Chumphae.

Been there a couple of times for just a day or two each time so don’t have much in the way of local knowledge.

I speak enough Thai to get by but will need to improve my Issan which is minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There is a board member who lives in Chumphae. Hopefully he will respond to you. In fact if it helps I will send him a message now.

^thats me!- thanks TLC Waterfall.

Yes. I live in Chum Phae ....and love it.

KungBENQ has also done well with his info - just today I flew to Chiang Mai from Udon for $50.

There’s actually quite a contingent of Aussies here. Australia Day not far off, big things are planned.

Flick me a PM. I can show you some nice long term rental accommodations and aforementioned good hotels with gyms and pools and heaps of beautiful , friendly Isaan girls (But you have a gf!)

I met these 3 local Chum Phae girls swimming at my 5 Star hotel pool.

We had fun...

Archived