Two tourists visas in a row ?

Hello, my tourist visa will end in the end of January, I would like to stay 2 months more but I already did 3 months (60 days with single entry tourist visa + 30 days extension) do you think I will be able to get a new tourist visa (in Laos or Malaysia) and re-enter to Thailand ?

I was not in Thailand in 2018, I just been here 3 months in total so I am not a big case for the immigration but I prefer to avoid trouble.

Or do you think its better to do a "short visa run" (leave and re-enter the same day) ? Do I risk troubles because of my "visa history" ? I will be able to get a (2 months) 30 days extension ?

Thank you for your help and sorry for my english

Edited by laouch

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:

What is your nationality?

In general what you plan to do should not cause problems

I am french.

7 minutes ago, KhunProletariat said:

Are you a genuine tourist or not? it sounds like you are playing the system a bit to me. Don't be at all surprised if the IO's get wise.

KP.

My current visa is the first one in the past 2 years, I dont work here, I dont want any surprise that's why I am posting here.

You should not have any problems (carry 20k THB cash with you to be safe)

Crossing at land borders is safer than at airports.

Cambodia has a law that doesn't allow entering / leaving on the same day at land borders, and you should avoid the Poipet crossing, but sounds like you didn't consider Cambodia anyway, so this doesn't matter for you

If you leave / enter without getting a tourist visa you will get a 30 day visa exempt which can be extended by 30 days, but this is limited to two times per calendar year at land borders.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

As others suggested, go to Vientiane for a single entry tourist visa, and return to Thailand by land at the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai. This should usually be 100% safe.

There is one proviso to this. I understand that you have not recently spent that much time in Thailand. However, when applying for a tourist visa in Vientiane, they look at all tourist visas in your current passport that were ever issued by them. If there are several, it is possible they could baulk at issuing another. However, in practice, the absolute worst that is likely even in this case is that they will give you the visa, but with a stamp that you "travel frequently to Thailand on tourist visas". That stamp makes getting more tourist visas difficult until you get a new passport.

• Like 1

Thank you all, I will just do a proper tourist visa by plane with a way back by bus (Laos or Penang I think) with 20k or more in my pocket, I not been here more than 3 months a year the last 2 years so it should be fine. Thank you again

• Like 1

6 hours ago, laouch said:

Thank you all, I will just do a proper tourist visa by plane with a way back by bus (Laos or Penang I think) with 20k or more in my pocket, I not been here more than 3 months a year the last 2 years so it should be fine. Thank you again

Absolutely no problem getting a second T visa and entering Thailand. I doubt if the IO will ask you any questions, but if they do, just have a reason ready why you're entering the second time immediately after you stayed in Thailand for 90-day. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jackdd said:

You should not have any problems (carry 20k THB cash with you to be safe)

Cambodia has a law that doesn't allow entering / leaving on the same day at land borders, and you should avoid the Poipet crossing, but sounds like you didn't consider Cambodia anyway, so this doesn't matter for you

If you leave / enter without getting a tourist visa you will get a 30 day visa exempt which can be extended by 30 days, but this is limited to two times per calendar year at land borders.

Doesn't that law rule out border runs? I would do the single entry tourist visa for 90 days, then a border run for 30+30 more. Now I have to show an ongoing flight after 90 days (the rules say 60 but if planning an extension I can't be paying hundreds of dollars to change flights) so I fly to Cambodia for a week or more to get my money's worth, and then return without a visa for my 30+30. No problems so far.

Are we seriously at a point now where

it’s a sensible advice to skulk about point of entries with just two tourist visas in a row in his passport? I don’t think that’s necessary, unless it’s full of visas issued in previous years.

1 hour ago, SicTransit said:

it’s a sensible advice to skulk about point of entries with just two tourist visas in a row in his passport? I don’t think that’s necessary, unless it’s full of visas issued in previous years.

Last visa (oustide of my current tourist visa) was in 2015, for years the law was "no more than 6 months" as a tourist and I dont want to do more.

27 minutes ago, laouch said:

Last visa (oustide of my current tourist visa) was in 2015, for years the law was "no more than 6 months" as a tourist and I dont want to do more.

I had the same visa/extension history as you (and had the same requirement you have) in January last year.

Same again this year.

I will go to Savannakhet for 1 night and enter Thailand using 30 day visa exempt next day.

As I did last year with no problems.

Have adequate money with you.

I also take proof of flight out (although the rules do not demand it).

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi from your history, it should be no problem at all.

But to give you any advice on possible options it would be helpful if you told us where you are staying in Thailand.

Koh Phangan, so I will probably come back by Samui or Krabi.

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
On 1/5/2019 at 10:13 PM, jackdd said:

Cambodia has a law that doesn't allow entering / leaving on the same day at land borders

Never seems to apply when i do a visa run

A visa-run company will make the payoff for you, if using one.  If alone, you will need to negotiate both the Cambodian VOA cost (or just pay Baht and be ripped off on the rate), and the Same Day Return "fee" (unofficial). 

17 hours ago, rickray said:

I went to Cambodia this morning and came back this afternoon via land border. Didn't hear anything about a law that doesn't allow such a thing.

Maybe didn't catch it - or maybe didn't care.  It usually comes up when getting your VOA ala Q: "You go back to Thailand today?"

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, laouch said:

There was once a regulation of 90-days in-country per 180-day period for Visa Exempt entries only - but never based on time within a year.   No such restriction was ever published regarding Tourist Visas.

Stories lately about unpublished restrictions being enforced (though a different reason is cited in the rejection-stamp) are originating only from some airports (both in Bangkok) and one land-border crossing (Poipet/Arnayaprathet) only.

23 hours ago, SicTransit said:

Yes - there is reason for some concern if someone plans to enter by air or especially at Poipet/Aranyaprathet.  But, no problem if he enters at a land-border that follows the published rules. 

20 hours ago, laouch said:

I will probably come back by Samui or Krabi.

Airports?  Probably ok - only because you would only be on your 2nd Tourist Visa in years - but be prepared for questions.  Skip if you want a stress-free return.

On 1/6/2019 at 12:24 AM, laouch said:

The Train is good coming back from Penang to Pedang Besar - best to cross in the Train Station.  They do ask to see the 20K there sometimes (even more arriving by van/bus at Sadao). 

Also, if entering far from your destination, domestic flights are not a problem (no immigration-checkpoint involved).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, just for keep you updated, I finally did it in Penang by bus, so I came back from Hat Yai, witouth even checking my others visas, the first second they saw that I did a tourist visa they took me to the back office and asked me nicely (important to say) to show 20k and a flight ticket, I had both of them (I already needed the  flight reservation for apply tourist visa in Penang), I showed them and 1 minute later I had my stamp and I was back in the bus, they didnt even ask what I was doing in Thailand.

Apparently in my bus they did that to all the people who made a tourist visa so be aware : 20k, flight ticket and maybe 10 days hotel booking when you apply.

Edited by laouch
  • Thanks 1