Rosacea meds in Thailand

Percy Penguin

Hi,

I have type I rosacea which is triggered / aggravated by heat, sunlight, chemical sunscreens, strenuous exercise, alcohol and spicy food. It's not a huge problem back in the UK, where only the last three of those really come into the picture, but Thailand hits me with all of them at once and it has become a problem. There are a few things I can do to control it, but I think meds are part of the picture. I'm especially interested in clonidine and oxymetazoline. I asked for oxymetazoline in a pharmacy, but just got a blank look.

Is there any way to find out whether / how I can get hold of these meds in Thailand (Chiang Mai specifically)?

TIA

oxymetazoline is available in Thailand only as a nasal spray. The facial cream preparation is not available. Apparently the .05% nasal spray can be successfully applie dto the face for treatrment iof rosacea (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3839519/)

though it will nto be as convenient as the cream. The nasal spray, all pharmacies carry. Ask for  one of these brand names and tell them it is nasal spray:

Freenoze

Iliadin

Metzodin

Oxymet

Pernazene Oxy

Clonidine will be harder to source, there is AFAIK only 1 brand here and it is a pediatric formulation, name is Hypodine. It is nto so widely carried, either, only really large pharmacies will have it.  (By large phamracy I mean a Thai pharmacy selling almost solely pharmaceuticals, not a Boots or Watsons, these sell mainly cosmetics and have very limited stock of medications). The local brand is  Hypodine, but any oharmacay lareg enough to carry it at all will likely recognize the generic name.

I must say I am surprised you mention clonidine, was this previously prescribed for you back home? As topical brimonidine is usually preferred. The gel is not available here but you can get eye drops in 0.2% strength, brand name Alphagen.

That's great, thanks Sheryl. Can I just get these from a pharmacy then (provided I can find one that has them) or do I need a script?

I wasn't prescribed clonidine back home BTW. I saw a consultant a couple of times and we discussed meds but I forget the names now - I didn't want to go down that path because the triggers were lifestyle things I could control. I looked at a few websites yesterday and people seemed to be saying that clonidine was effective, plus the other effects seem more desirable (my BP is on the high side and I often have trouble sleeping).

I have a very effective cream that was prescribed by the dermatologist at Bangkok Pattaya hospital and have also bought it over the counter although it states on the tube "prescription only"

BUT - I can't remember the name offhand but have a tube of it at home as a back up in case of a flare up, I'll post the name tomorrow,

41 minutes ago, Percy Penguin said:

That's great, thanks Sheryl. Can I just get these from a pharmacy then (provided I can find one that has them) or do I need a script?

I wasn't prescribed clonidine back home BTW. I saw a consultant a couple of times and we discussed meds but I forget the names now - I didn't want to go down that path because the triggers were lifestyle things I could control. I looked at a few websites yesterday and people seemed to be saying that clonidine was effective, plus the other effects seem more desirable (my BP is on the high side and I often have trouble sleeping).

Yes, these are OTC meds.

In Chiang Mai try Fascinos pharmacy

On 1/7/2019 at 3:35 AM, LongTimeLurker said:

This is what I was prescribed.

Very effective and can be obtained without prescription.

Galderma.jpg

Thanks for the tip. Google says that's mainly for bumps though, I just have the redness. Does it help with that at all?

On 1/6/2019 at 9:14 AM, Sheryl said:

Yes, these are OTC meds.

In Chiang Mai try Fascinos pharmacy

Thanks Sheryl. I got the oxymetazoline and 5 ml of Alphagan P which is brimonidine tartrate 0.15%. The rosacea cream is 0.33% and the normal dose seems to be 0.5 - 1 g a day, so I'm not sure how practical Alphagan is. It's not that cheap either - 440 for what seems to be 3 days' supply. I asked for Hypodine / clonidine at Fascinos - no joy, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere bigger here in CM. I will be in Udon Thani next week - is there anywhere worth trying there?

Probably note.

Rosacea is common in Thailand (though there are differences between Thai and Western skin). You might consider seeing a dermatologist. Possible some of them import meds from abroad not available for sale here.

I managed to order clonidine and would now like to check whether it is Rx or OTC in Malaysia. I found a site called MIMS but this only gives the info for Thailand as far as I can see. If I select a different country I get no info on local brands or scheduling. Is there somewhere else I can look?

3 hours ago, Percy Penguin said:

I managed to order clonidine and would now like to check whether it is Rx or OTC in Malaysia. I found a site called MIMS but this only gives the info for Thailand as far as I can see. If I select a different country I get no info on local brands or scheduling. Is there somewhere else I can look?

It appears from MIMS that there is no brand of clonidine registered for use in Malaysia. That's why no brands or schedule shown, only info on the generic.

On 1/9/2019 at 8:46 PM, Percy Penguin said:

I asked for Hypodine / clonidine at Fascinos - no joy, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere bigger here in CM.

Suggest you try Dara Pharmacy on Kaeo Narawat Road. It has a deserved reputation for carrying very hard to find medications - certainly a bigger range than Fascino.

https://goo.gl/maps/sBTzoicmXPk

They are open until 11.00pm every day of the week. If you use Grab to get there Dara Pharmacy is listed as a destination.

Archived