BANGKOK 17 February 2019 07:37
Daephius

Please Help || DHL Duty/Tax Fee || Package Valued 2X Actual Value

My assumption is that because DHL collects on Customs behalf they have some sort of deal going. You could start with DHL and show them the calculations and how you have been overcharged. I would predict that they send you to Customs in order to pursue the issue. As above , I suspect their answer will be that "estimated value" makes it correct in their eyes!

Clothing in general does seem to be an issue with Thai customs, we've had all sorts of reports of silly amounts of duty being requested for (even used) garments. Invariably these have been sent via one of the couriers.

Treat it as a life-lesson and move on.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cmsally said:

My assumption is that because DHL collects on Customs behalf they have some sort of deal going. You could start with DHL and show them the calculations and how you have been overcharged. I would predict that they send you to Customs in order to pursue the issue. As above , I suspect their answer will be that "estimated value" makes it correct in their eyes!

I paid for it with Mastercard, not cash.

If DHL won't cooperate, I suppose I could dispute through Mastercard. My father has done this with the airline that refused to reschedule my flight from Japan to Thailand due to typhoons (Trami and Kong Rey), also refused to provide a refund.

My father wasn't the least bit worried, just asked me for the email proofs of AirAsia wasting my time, not rescheduling the flight, and all that. Mastercard reimbursed him no fuss.

I hope that works.

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Clothing in general does seem to be an issue with Thai customs, we've had all sorts of reports of silly amounts of duty being requested for (even used) garments. Invariably these have been sent via one of the couriers.

Treat it as a life-lesson and move on.

A life-lesson, indeed.

I know now to avoid courier if I've the option; if I don't, refuse/dispute the duty/tax if it's incorrect. This experience had me learn how to calculate duty/tax, to tripple check before paying.

Though I'm rather stubborn, I'll do all I can to find a resolution until I've exhausted all routes.

I was just on the phone with DHL. The gentleman was rather helpful, he looked up my 'waybill' # after I explain the situation. He confirmed the invoiced amount to be 320.97USD (about 10705THB), said they'll investigate the discrepancy, and call me back tomorrow.

Really am grateful for your info and assistance. The link you provided to check the tariff # provided me yet more evidence a ridiculous error was made; dress shirts and vests most definitely cannit be mistook for a 'compression garment used to treat scars and skin grafts'. Even the gentleman on the phone took pause when I explained what was found when looking up the tariff # in comparrison to the actual itemized invoice.

Frank and Vanita at Fashion King here in Chiang Mai could make quality garments like the ones shown for you.  They are of Indian heritage and do quality tailoring work.