Thai immigration reveals new requirements for retirement, marriage extensions (visas)

3 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

If your embassy is still issuing "income letter" nothing changes for you. It's only for embassies who have thrown their citizens under the bus by stopping issuance of "income letters"

What about this one ...letter from embassy rejected at Saraburi , no grace period …, even after the I.O. consulted BKK office , like always T.I.T from office to 2019-01-05_232511.png.8e5a045810e2cb1c1abea766c65800b0.pngdesk to desk to person 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eligius said:

On the face of it, this looks EXTREMELY worrying for British retirees here. The irresponsible action of the British embassy in not confirming a retiree's income flow could be the death knell for many Brits here. Also, as far as I understand it, the British Government will not send pensions into a Thai bank account (only into a British one), and not every British bank will automatically forward a pension to a bank account in Thailand every month. Maybe I am wrong. 

Perhaps it is not as bad as I fear. What do other members think?

Yes, you're wrong, the UK government pension payment for ex-pats is managed by City Bank and they pay into Thai banks either fortnightly or monthly. The same applies to private pensions providing you make the necessary arrangements apart from private pension companies pay on the correct dates excluding bank holidays.

Like most banks, if not all City Bank will hold that money for as long as possible to enable them to invest in the overnight interbank lending markets gaining them a high rate of short-term interest from your money. 

The British consulates responsibilities do not cover verifying income payments, they're main responsibilities are croquet, cocktail parties, and of course their expense accounts, not necessarily in that order. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, leither69 said:

Correct, I've used it for a few years, slightly higher rate and accurate transfer of required fund i.e the online calculator gives the exchange rate and amount (in bhat) you transfer, therefore no mix up at year end with insufficient funds being brought here

At least for the time being, there remain questions about whether all Thai banks will recognize TFW incoming transfers as FOREIGN transfers. I think we're going to have to see how that plays out. Because, apparently for the future, it's going to be up to the individual Thai banks to issue a letter confirming that monthly income extension applicants have had the required monthly foreign transfers into their Thai bank account.

Some banks like BKKB clearly note the incoming TFW transfers as foreign transfers. Others right now do not.

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

For those using the income route for retirement 'visas', this sounds like good news?

i.e. "For retirement extensions of no more than 1 year evidence of average monthly income of B65,000 is required."

So a miscalculation due to exchange rates can be compensated another month.

Presumably all Thai banks will set up a way to provide a letter and statements confirming the international transfers - although there's no way they'll be able to confirm it's pension income.

i.e. "Letter of certification from a Thai bank supported by bank statements showing a pension being transferred to the pensioner’s bank account every month for at least 12 months."

The main problem that I can see, is if they are saying the pension income must be paid directly into a Thai bank account?

My guess is that it will take banks--particularly upcountry banks--to have a system in place or even to readily understand what the customer is asking for.  Sign!  Hope I am wrong.

I might be wrong, but I have never understand the income be specifically form a pension, just offshore income from whatever source.

27 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

This is exactly what the CW supervisor told me in October 2018. 12 monthly deposits into a Thai bank at least 65k  baht every month or 800 k in a Thai bank three months before extension. Sounds reasonable to me. But costly for the guys that have to pay the monthly transfer fees. And maybe they will curtail theory the  agent to fake everything method for those who cannot afford Thailand. 

Despite this latest rule change, there's been no indication thus far that the paid agent assisted extensions business is going anywhere. Where there's money to be made, some Thai entrepreneur and civil servant are going to make it.

• Like 1

" Presumably all Thai banks will set up a way to provide a letter and statements confirming the international transfers - although there's no way they'll be able to confirm it's pension income."

It's a nice thought and may I say a sensible idea, but if they do this I for one will be astounded!

14 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

If your embassy is still issuing "income letter" nothing changes for you. It's only for embassies who have thrown their citizens under the bus by stopping issuance of "income letters"

Actually mine did me a favor now that it is official I can show the my income going into my Thai bank account. Been doing that for almost 7 years.

No annual trip to Bangkok to get it and paying around 1700 baht for it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eligius said:

On the face of it, this looks EXTREMELY worrying for British retirees here. The irresponsible action of the British embassy in not confirming a retiree's income flow could be the death knell for many Brits here. Also, as far as I understand it, the British Government will not send pensions into a Thai bank account (only into a British one), and not every British bank will automatically forward a pension to a bank account in Thailand every month. Maybe I am wrong. 

Perhaps it is not as bad as I fear. What do other members think?

I have my pension paid into my Thai bank account, no problem with that, but hope they are only referring to those that do not have the 800k in a bank account over here for retirement. My state pension is nowhere near 65k a month!!

• Thanks 1

does any one know if the 400k or 800k in a Thai bank account for at least 3 months still works or is it that you have to show  at least40k or 65k deposited into a Thai bank each month? some one please reply if you know .thank you

3 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Why is the word “Pension” used in the translation so much?... Would not any source of income from a foreign source being shown transferred to a Thai bank be accepted? Also is a monthly transfer requires or would quarterly transfers be accepted?

Bank statements will show that the deposit is an international transfer.  It would be much more complicated to specify the source of the transfer.  If the word "pension" is the sticking point, pensions come from all kinds or sources, not only government pensions.

• Like 1

Just now, randy723 said:

does any one know if the 400k or 800k in a Thai bank account for at least 3 months still works or is it that you have to show  at least40k or 65k deposited into a Thai bank each month? some one please reply if you know .thank you

According to several people in this thread (inclu @ubonjoe) the 400/800k method or even the combination method for retirement can still be used.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Actually mine did me a favor now that it is official I can show the my income going into my Thai bank account. Been doing that  for almost 7 years.

No annual trip to Bangkok to get it and paying around 1700 baht for it.

The UK consulate charged 2,500 baht for a simple letter which didn't verify anything, it only confirmed the figures the applicant had supplied. The letter should have taken around five minutes to produce so their staff must be on an hourly rate of some 2,500 baht per hour! lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

I am 54,so i do not get a pension,however i get monthly payments from an offshore investment account these can vary quite wildly i remember once getting 260,000 baht but another time 30,000,i have well over the 800k in the bank,i am on retirement extension,like many other's here i am confused as to if they will only now except monthly income of 65,000 or man.

For retirement, 800K in a Thai bank deposit for at least three months prior to applying for an extension (same as it's long been), OR, probably under the new rules, at least 65K transferred from abroad into a Thai bank account from some foreign source, including any of your own accounts, for each month in the preceding year.  That's assuming you no longer have access to an Embassy income letter to document monthly income.

It matters not at all, for Immigration purposes, how much you're actually earning in your home country per month or per year. It ONLY matters how much you're depositing in a Thai bank account or transferring into a Thai bank account every month.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vermaric said:

" Presumably all Thai banks will set up a way to provide a letter and statements confirming the international transfers - although there's no way they'll be able to confirm it's pension income."

It's a nice thought and may I say a sensible idea, but if they do this I for one will be astounded!

They'll obviously charge for the service, in the same way they do for the '800k in bank' method.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, moreem said:

Yes, I don't see any change actually ? Can someone tell me in 3 lines what has really changed ?!

And it only concern extension, not when applying for visa ?

Thanks.

For monthly income applicants, before, you only needed an Embassy income letter, you didn't need to actually import all those funds into Thailand.

Now, if you can't get an Embassy income letter, you'll have to import at least the 40K or 65K per month into a Thai bank account, probably each and every month.

That's the change for people applying for retirement and marriage extensions of stay. It's not about visas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seajae said:

What needs to happen is that husband and wife earnings plus their house/land etc be allowed to be used in the equation as this would make it easier for some of those that cant meet the requirements 

Thank you seajae!!!

This is exactly right you nailed it

I'm married to fantastic Thai lady and we have 2 sons, now 18 and 20 yrs old (were 5 and 7 yrs old when married). We have been married 13 years ... We used our(my) last 1,000,000 Baht in bank to build our home 9 years ago .... so now we rely on monthly income of 39,500 Baht monthly which makes me/us short by 500 Baht a month according to IO 40,000 Baht monthly requirements, that's where Embassy "Income Affidavit" luckily came into play ... so myself as expat living in Thailand for 13 years and supporting wife and 2 children now have to leave Thailand and wife and kids with no support money and Thai economy does not get my 474,000 Baht a year income and I am forced to go back to home country which I hate all because of 500 Baht shortage each month ... logically that makes no economic or humanitarian sense at all.

As another side note my 39,500 Baht monthly income works out to 474,000 Baht a year, which is 74,000 Baht over the yearly 400,000 Baht stated in IO rules for the "O" marraige visa ... however one year I attempted to point out that 40,000 Baht a month equaled 480,000 a year (12 months X 40,000Baht) so my 39.5000monthly/474,00 yearly was over the 400.000 Baht amount needed to legally meet income requirements ... Thai Imm Officer said no no no you need 40,000 Baht a month and got furious when I tried to explain for a second time the math of 39,500 X 12 months was 74,000 over the yearly income requirement of 400,000 ... I learned my lesson quickly, shut up and paid the tea money so I wouldn't be sent home ... after that I kept my mouth shut and relied on the Embassy's "Income Affidavit" so I could stay with my Thai family in our home ... so was I "abusing" the "Income Affidavit" document? ... no, logicly I was using it to leaglly stay in Thailand as I was "legally" allowed to with my legal 474,000 yearly income

Since wife and I have joint bank account In Dec we opened a seperate bank account in my name only and we are now depositing into it 41,000 a month ... I went to Embassy last month and got my last "Income Affidavit" which I will use in April 2019 and after 16 months of depositing 41,000 Baht a month in Apr 2020 I will go for my new NON "O" marraige visa using only my bank book showing monthly deposits of 41,000 Baht ... if things don't work out I could now be spending my last 16 months with my Thai wife and kids in our own home ... or I may be forced go the agent route, which I don't want too .. but Que Sera Sera

Edited by carken
  • Like 1