Thai immigration reveals new requirements for retirement, marriage extensions (visas)

Just now, Enoon said:

Average monthly income of 65,000 is required.

Thus a single transfer of 780,000 would give an average of 65k per month.

Just a technicality of course.

Where do you see the mention of average in the OP?

What I see is repeatedly " every month"

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

We are waiting for an official translation by a translation service to be finished which should be ready tomorrow.

What has been posted is just a basic translation for info only.

That will be helpful, though may not be definitive as noted in my later post

11 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

OK so those affected by this change need to investigate a monthly transfer service like Transferwise.

And or setting up repeating monthly transfers from their bank outside of Thailand where ever it may be.  

The exchange rate is something you will have to monitor month to month.

OP clearly states "pension". On the face of it only a pension being paid directly into your Thai bank account would cut it.

I cannot have my company pension paid into a Thai bank account so that rules me out and many others.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

We are waiting for an official translation by a translation service to be finished which should be ready tomorrow.

What has been posted is just a basic translation for info only.

Can you provide a link to the original Thai document?

Just now, ubonjoe said:

It will be done by a translation service.

I have not seen anything issued by immigration in English for many years. The police orders are only issued in Thai. At one time immigration even posted a English version done by law firm.

The local office in Udon Thani does give out leaflets in both English and Thai, so I guess that maybe a local rather than national service.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I get my UK pension paid directly into my Krung Thai account every 13 weeks, have done now for nearly 5 years, never had any problems.

expand a little on that it is rather vague

are you saying all you have done the past 5 years is produce a Thai bank statement showing monthly foreign deposits which you spend from month to month, no embassy letters - no bank balance etc etc

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, sumrit said:

To show other types of income:

for marriage extensions:

3.       Evidence of income from a foreign embassy or consulate.

For retirement extensions:

2.       Evidence of income from a foreign embassy or consulate.

The problem is back to getting the Embassy to supply an income letter ☹️

2.       Evidence of a pension. Letter of certification from a Thai bank supported by bank statements showing a pension being transferred to the pensioner’s bank account every month for at least 12 months.

I read this as pension transferred directly into Thai bank account. Very few of us will be able to transfer a pension above 65K baht into our Thai bank accounts, but the option is there.

1 minute ago, smedly said:

for gods sake this is about income not balance - that is why it is not mentioned  - it hasn't changed

Yes I know it;s about income, but I haven't seen proof of it yet, and that's why I wrote "IF"

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sumrit said:

To show other types of income:

for marriage extensions:

3.       Evidence of income from a foreign embassy or consulate.

For retirement extensions:

2.       Evidence of income from a foreign embassy or consulate.

The problem is back to getting the Embassy to supply an income letter ☹️

Sad for some.

Comforting for others ( Those not being among the 4 embassies ).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Evidence of annual income that equates to no less than B40,000 per month of alien father, mother or spouse such as.

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

For retirement extensions of no more than 1 year evidence of average monthly income of B65,000 is required.

Based on the fact that there was no mention of it, are we to assume that 400K and 800K in a Thai bank for extensions based on marriage and retirement respectively are no longer a viable method of financial funding for yearly extensions?  Based on the article only 45K/mo and 65K/mo placed into a Thai bank for 12 consecutive months prior to the extension are the new rule of law? 
Clarifications? Was the funds in the bank option mistakenly omitted here?  If not, Thailand can plan to see an exodus of expats married to Thais or retired in Thailand.

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

many people don't have pensions so this will not be the case. I am sure the wording will change to something like "funds from outside Thailand"

True but that doesn't mean that the words will be changed to "any funds from outside Thailand" as they may want to be reassured that actually IS some source of monthly funds.