Thai immigration reveals new requirements for retirement, marriage extensions (visas)

37 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

So in 2020 a citizen from a country not named USA, UK, OZ or Denmark can walk into any Immigration Office with a Embassy Income letter and obtain an extension? 

Post 1 of this topic : Paragraph 3

Thai immigration have confirmed the new requirements for foreigners when applying for an extension of stay based on retirement, marriage or being a parent to a Thai child.

The updated requirements, seen by Thaivisa, are detailed in a national police order dated 26 December 2018 and signed by immigration chief Lt Gen Surachet Hakparn.

An unofficial translation of the updated requirements are as follows:

2.18 In the case of family member (mother, father, male or female spouse, child, adopted child or child of spouse) with Thai nationality. Can be authorized for not more than 1 year.

Process

Evidence of annual income that equates to no less than B40,000 per month of alien father, mother or spouse such as.

1.       Tax receipts of the supporting relative. (Presumably Thai tax receipts for a foreigner working in Thailand supporting foreign spouse, parent or child, e.g. you have a Thai wife and support your mother or non-Thai child from a previous marriage living in Thailand).

2.       Evidence of a pension. Letter of certification from a Thai bank supported by bank statements showing a pension being transferred to the pensioner’s bank account every month for at least 12 months. Exceptions are allowed for those who have been retired for less than one year – example given.

3.       Evidence of income from a foreign embassy or consulate.

There should be an official statement in English published today, so will see if anything is different from above or if it just confirm it.

Edited by luckyluke

22 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

The way I read the OP it mentions only proof of monthly deposits in an account, but nowhere does it mention an account balance of 400 or 800K, so I assume that option is not considered anymore.

Don't get confused you have either option !!!

Monthly income or account balance relative to your visa type

Do you understand you can use either option !!!!!

7 hours ago, wobalt said:

Still wondering why the funds must be foreign sourced??

Gesendet von iPad mit Thaivisa Connect

To cut down on the scammers that would simply transfer the 40/65k from one Thai bank account to another (then withdraw it, redeposit it in the other bank and then re-transfer it again the next month).

(People were discussing ways to do exactly that weeks ago, when the topic first came up as something that may happen in the future.)

• Like 1

Lived here for 11 years under retirement extensions.

Have had mostly over and rarely under 65K a month SSA and enough in Thai bank to cover for exchange rates to 25 bht to US dollar. 

I use a US bank for ACH deposits and a atm draw here. 

Every cent that I receive is transfered to Thailand via this method. 

According the this unoffical translation I will not qualify for a extension of stay?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Lived here for 11 years under retirement extensions.
Have had mostly over and rarely under 65K a month SSA and enough in Thai bank to cover for exchange rates to 25 bht to US dollar. 
I use a US bank for ACH deposits and a atm draw here. 
Every cent that I receive is transfered to Thailand via this method. 
According the this unoffical translation I will not qualify for a extension of stay?

Probably, going forward you may want to make sure each month’s transfer is 65K minimum.

If you have the 800K at a 25-1 rate that will likely be the easiest.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

So in 2020 a citizen from a country not named USA, UK, OZ or Denmark can walk into any Immigration Office with a Embassy Income letter and obtain an extension? 

Sure, if you have income letter, there is no need for showing transfer. But an TI may ask for proof of income and you can show bank book. May be they won't accept any other form of proof but if you have an embassy letter, you don't need a bank letter, I guess. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

I live in Pattaya.  I recently took my Thai bank statements to the Jomtien Immigration office and asked if they were acceptable to renew my retirement visa.  The guy who processes the documents said that they will not accept this method at the Jomtien office.  I also have a letter from the British Embassy which states that this is allowed under the rules but that individual offices may have different requirements. 

However, I later approached a visa processing company who confirmed that, for B3,500, they would get my bank statements accepted and a new retirement visa.  Very confusing.  We clearly need clarification and standardisation at a national level.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BertM said:

So, starting in July 2019 after the income affidavits & letters have expired, it appears that many expats are still planning to use the monthly income method with bank books & other documentation to support their 65k+ in monthly overseas transfers. My question is, are we sure TI will accept the monthly income method? What is the backup plan if TI does not accept the income method or the documentation? At that point, if you didn't have the money seasoned, what can you do? Just kindly asking... Does anyone know for certain what type of income and what type of documentation will be accepted?  

This was an announcement from TI. Which thread have you been reading?

• Haha 1

The question really falls to your Thai bank as to what they require to provide a letter stating monthly deposits of 65k baht. I believe that Ti's acceptance of your visa extension application will stand or fall on the bank letter.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Probably, going forward you may want to make sure each month’s transfer is 65K minimum.

If you have the 800K at a 25-1 rate that will likely be the easiest.

Circumstances when I first came here from the states does not give me the ability to do the 800K method. 

Waiting for the States to list Thai banks that will be allowed direct ACH deposits. 

Afraid this will be to little to late. 

Fortunately I have a small immigration office to deal with and will go speak with them in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the feedback. 

8 hours ago, wobalt said:

I have invested in gold in the past. I sell gold for 400 k THB and put it on my thai account. Will it be Accepted or not?

For the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months you do not need to prove it came from abroad.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Estrada said:

British Government will pay your State Pension into any Thai Bank international Branch in the UK, mine is paid into my Bangkok Bank account in London, which transfers automatically to my Bangkok Bank account in Bangkok.

and how did you open the London account , was it in person and also was it straight forward ?

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

For the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months you do not need to prove it came from abroad.

I think you said before the 2 months only works for the first extension with 400k, but 3 months is required for those of us switching in late years. Do the funds in the 3 month scenario need to be proven as sent from abroad, or is it just the balance that matters?

• Thanks 1

On the face of it I see this as making it easier no more expensive letters from the embassy, just prove you have 65/40k a month coming into a thai bank every month.

However as a Brit my civil service pension is administered by Citibank as I think are state pensions, this is then sent to Thailand and transferred to my bank (Kasi) from a bangkok source not sure if they use Citi or whoever but I know when it shows on my statement it clearly says Domestic not International. This may cause a problem when asking the bank to confirm that the funds are sourced outside Thailand. I should think most Brits on state pensions may have problems such as this but hopefully letters confirming the source and the bank statements proving the sum is over the required amount will suffice. I said hope as we all know we are at the mercy of the IO who is looking at your paperwork on the day you apply.   

I think you said before the 2 months only works for the first extension with 400k, but 3 months is required for those of us switching in late years. Do the funds in the 3 month scenario need to be proven as sent from abroad, or is it just the balance that matters?

I believe it is just the balance.

To minimize bank fees, once the account is funded and you get your extension, you can spend it down for 8 months and then top it up to facilitate your extension.

You just can’t drop below 400/800k in the 3 months before you apply for your extension.

You can get by with one transfer a year.

3.       Evidence of income from a foreign embassy or consulate

I missed that part.  “Evidence” can mean many things.  Didn’t the British Embassy actually require proof of Income before they issued the Income Certificate?  Therefore, this would qualify as Evidence of Income?