Thai immigration reveals new requirements for retirement, marriage extensions (visas)

49 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

We are waiting for an official translation by a translation service to be finished which should be ready tomorrow.

What has been posted is just a basic translation for info only.

It's boggling to me that Thai Immigration often fails to provide their own official English translations of their own rules. I mean, apart from the Thai IOs enforcing them, it's the often English speaking or at least understanding foreigners who have to follow them. And that would be made a lot easier and clearer for a lot of folks if Immigration provided their own rules in English!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Just because no one has actually obtained an extension using the new regs doesn't make it "limited info", the regs are there for all to see.

"And they have to issue regs that will accommodate the greatest number of extension seekers possible"

"have to" really? They don't "have to" do anything, and rarely do.

Well until somebody actually gets one I'll consider the regs as limited info. And they aren't going issue regs so that their IMM officers have to be forensic accounts to figure out what the H--- is being presented to them. 

Just now, Estrada said:

British Government will pay you State Pension into any Thai Bank international Branch in the UK, mine is paid into my Bangkok Bank account in London, which transfers automatically to my Bangkok Bank account in Bangkok.

But comes nowhere near the 65k baht required.

• Like 1

I have been using this method now for some years, I get my thai bank to do up a statement and get the aussie embassy to certify my aussie annual tax certificate, this is what they are saying is acceptable although I will now deposit the 400.000 in a separate bank account this year so I dont have to travel to Bangkok and go through all the crap they have introduced at the new aussie embassy

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

You just forget that this option has been added by TI to help those who have been "thrown under the bus" by their embassy... So seems a very positive change to me.

They could have just made nothing, and it would have been very worse !

If the insistence on "pension paid into a Thai bank" stays, it will help very few.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thequietman said:

Just open an off shore account and then transfer the money in each month. Withdraw the money and deposit it back into the off shore account. Rinse and repeat.

It will incur banking charges but is very doable. I think everyone was worrying about nothing. I hope this alleviates many concerns of expats in Thailand.

But then there will be nothing to moan about.

• Haha 1

"However, from 2020 applicants will need to make sure they are able to show a full 12 months worth of income coming to a Thai bank account." I wonder if I transfer 65,000 Baht to my Thai account every month from Denmark, then I do not have enough money left in my Danish bank to pay my bills and daily consumption .. My question is, Do you think it will be OK I take money from Thai account every month in Denmark. If they just want to see the proof that I can get 65000 B to deposit in my account, then they have it. What remains at the end of the month shouldn't worry about TI? Or will they accept that I put 65000 B in and pull out again a few days later?
Of course, I will lose money with this type of transaction, but it's the price I have to pay to have another year's extension. I hope I have expressed myself in an understandable way.

Edited by Nielsk

It seems a Pointless Exercise and an absolute wast of time and Resources , the bottom line is the the 800,000 or 400,000 still has to be in Thailand.

How many Visa companies now are going to be out of pocket and unemployed thais are going to be the victims of this new Law.

what uk pensioner get 65,000 baht a year i have yet to meet one,  this has got to be the only country in the world (third world country at that) that demands one keeps over 18,000 english pounds doing nothing for 3 months in a thai bank ,( be more like 21,000,  pounds, as living expenses required for 3 months) when the uk pension is about 10,500 uk pounds ? and a uk pensioner can live in the UK on this, totally out of reality,rule made by ** idiots

Edited by mercman24
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

The problem seems to be that they are asking for evidence of a pension being paid monthly into your Thai bank account. The British Pension is paid only every 3 months. I also have an annual payment and a bi-annual payment, but no monthly payment. I hope I can still use the B800,000 in the bank method.

Edited by Estrada

4 minutes ago, fulhamster said:
15 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

I bet the immigration officers are all sat around laughing at us all while reading these comments.

I must admit if they change the 400k in the bank rule i would be well and truly forked.

You and many others

For now, you have the Non-O ME Visa from many Thai consulates w/o financial qualifications, and more with the financials.  It is possible that a money-letter from your embassy, located in the country where the consulate is, would still be acceptable there.  The US Embassy only ended these letters in Thailand, but still offer them in other countries, where they seem to prefer us to 'be'. 

But if even the Non-O-ME method were to fully go down the tubes, I wonder how often they will let us visit our families here using "tourist" visas?