Thai immigration reveals new requirements for retirement, marriage extensions (visas)

23 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Right about that. It's going to be big change for some people. It will push some on the edge to being pushed off the cliff.

How unlucky they are after winning a genetic lottery, they still have to rely on their life/death situation on the vagaries of Thai immigration.

STOP PANICKING YOU  lot, they are ALL  CORRUPT there will be a way around this, just ask any bar stool sitter in Pattaya, how do you think they live here,  (they pay 10 to 16,000 for the stamp) no way have they got a 65,000 baht a month income, i have said this before, i done my 90 day in october, the official seen my yearly retirement expired in november, he said to me * i can do for you 16,000 baht * and this was after the big crackdown ,

I had a similar thing in jomtien being one of the last of the day I was quietly offerd an extension for 15k.. Which I denied.

End of the day this has nothing at all to do with bad guys out and mostly to do with, you bad guy, you pay me.. I fix!

It's funny how posters are blaming the guys that using a work around as making it hard for everyone else, well that's just nonsense. TI together with agents want these guys to stay = katching,!

2 hours ago, Eligius said:

On the face of it, this looks EXTREMELY worrying for British retirees here. The irresponsible action of the British embassy in not confirming a retiree's income flow could be the death knell for many Brits here. Also, as far as I understand it, the British Government will not send pensions into a Thai bank account (only into a British one), and not every British bank will automatically forward a pension to a bank account in Thailand every month. Maybe I am wrong. 

Perhaps it is not as bad as I fear. What do other members think?

Also, as far as I understand it, the British Government will not send pensions into a Thai bank account (only into a British one), and not every British bank will automatically forward a pension to a bank account in Thailand every month. Maybe I am wrong. You Are Wrong Mate, The British Government sends the pensions to Citibank ( Who make a HUGE Amount of interest in about the 15 Days They hold it in their account )Before they ( Citibank ) Transfer it to the Thai Bank,In My case ( Bangkok Bank ) who then take their cut before they put it into MY Account.....

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

If one does not have a pension plan meeting these requirements, but has investments that generate sufficient returns to fulfill these requirements, would that be sufficient for visa purposes?

As you can imagine, dividends and returns from investment would not flow in every month on a consistent basis, but from previous experience the portfolio generates sufficient annualized returns to well cover the monthly requirements of 65k/month.

in that case, would a monthly transfer of 65k/month from my offshore account to thai bank account suffice?

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

I guess that Thailand, like just about every other country in the world, expects that official statements in the official language of Thailand should be sufficient for all purposes. Funny that.

Not when the major audience for the document isn't its own native people, but instead a substantial non-Thai reading foreign population. Ordinary Thai citizens don't deal with, or rely on, Thai Immigration regulations at all for the most part. But foreigners do.

BTW, lots of other countries do their official public communications in multiple languages, either because their native populations are multi-lingual, and/or because they recognize the audiences for their communications need them in other languages.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

S

2 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Also, as far as I understand it, the British Government will not send pensions into a Thai bank account (only into a British one), and not every British bank will automatically forward a pension to a bank account in Thailand every month. Maybe I am wrong. You Are Wrong Mate, The British Government sends the pensions to Citibank ( Who make a HUGE Amount of interest in about the 15 Days They hold it in their account )Before they ( Citibank ) Transfer it to the Thai Bank,In My case ( Bangkok Bank ) who then take their cut before they put it into MY Account.....

So that will not show as a international transfer

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

For those using the income route for retirement 'visas', this sounds like good news?

i.e. "For retirement extensions of no more than 1 year evidence of average monthly income of B65,000 is required."

So a miscalculation due to exchange rates can be compensated another month.

Presumably all Thai banks will set up a way to provide a letter and statements confirming the international transfers - although there's no way they'll be able to confirm it's pension income.

i.e. "Letter of certification from a Thai bank supported by bank statements showing a pension being transferred to the pensioner’s bank account every month for at least 12 months."

The main problem that I can see, is if they are saying the pension income must be paid directly into a Thai bank account?

Just now, roath said:

Hopefully, they are using the term pension funds interchangeably with income.

I am not retired and won't get a private pension for another 3 years or state pension for another 14 years

Retirement extensions haven't previously required proof of being retired only proof of income once over 50

Legally this.doesn't.make.sense unless they.are.using.the.term.pension funds.as.meaning the funds supporting the.retirement.extension

Yes.  As far as I can see they've made it clear that income has to be received by a Thai bank monthly, but are allowing leeway for exchange rates via the mention of "average".

The most likely problems (IMO) are going to be:-

1) The 'notice' only talks about pension income,  which even a Thai bank is unlikely to be able to confirm unless the pension income is paid directly into a Thai bank, rather than being paid into a 'home' bank and then amounts transferred monthly to a Thai bank?

2) Will the official translation change 'pension income' into 'funds from abroad'?

• Like 1

On the face of it, this looks EXTREMELY worrying for British retirees here. The irresponsible action of the British embassy in not confirming a retiree's income flow could be the death knell for many Brits here. Also, as far as I understand it, the British Government will not send pensions into a Thai bank account (only into a British one), and not every British bank will automatically forward a pension to a bank account in Thailand every month. Maybe I am wrong. 

I started claiming my UK state pension last October. I made the application over the phone and when it came to where i would like the money paid into i was told it could be paid into any account worldwide.

I opted for monthly payments into my UK account simply because of the awful exchange rate at the moment. At a later date i will change the recipient bank to Kasikorn, this change cannot be done online, only by phone

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

7 minutes ago, johnjohn2 said:

Where in the facts does it say you can use TW? Were looking for the fact of what pension means to TI.

The poster above claimed that it was not possible to have pensions paid into a Thai bank account. He is wrong.

He also suggested it was difficult to have monthly transfers from a UK bank to a Thai bank account. He was wrong again.

I was correcting him on both counts.

So just what is your point regarding TransferWise Johnjohn?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SooKee said:

What bank are you with? FWIW I notice Kasikorn Bank have just (in my case as of end Dec 2018) started using the label 'International Trade and Factoring Centre' together with a transaction code of TFN05027 (which denotes an international transaction) for deposits received from TW as opposed to their previous description of 'Dummy Branch' with a misc code that doesn't actually appear in their code list. Will likely assist those using TW > Kasikorn at the time of extension applications. Hopefully other banks that also use a vague / domestic type description for TW deposits will follow suit. BKK Bank, being TW's banking partner, not a problem as they always show the credit as international. 

Not sure what prompted Kasikorn to start using (and hopefully they will continue to use it!) the much more useful and helpful code to identify the source of the funds being international despite them receiving the funds from BKK Bank but sure glad they have. Maybe input from Thai Immigration or maybe they had complaints or an adverse audit report from using the term Dummy Branch in statements etc with some nebulous transaction code that was pretty much meaningless. 

Not for my Kasikorn it does not show international transfer !  The funds I received into it on the 2nd January , using Transferwise from the UK, still listed the transfer code as "Dummy Branch".  So hence unsure if Kasikorn could provide a statement confirming a deposit via an international transfer ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

I started claiming my UK state pension last October. I made the application over the phone and when it came to where i would like the money paid into i was told it could be paid into any account worldwide.

I opted for monthly payments into my UK account simply because of the awful exchange rate at the moment. At a later date i will change the recipient bank to Kasikorn, this change cannot be done online, only by phone

I opted for monthly payments into my UK account simply because of the awful exchange rate at the moment. At a later date i will change the recipient bank to Kasikorn, this change cannot be done online, only by phone.....I Asked the pension service if they could do that for me....Answer YES We can But Very Difficult to change it back to you're Thai Account in the Future.....

I was just thinking that a scammer could just transfer the same 65K baht back and forth all year long and meet the requirements.  If all they look at are deposits then a circular routing of transactions would suffice.  Deposit to Thai bank. then Thai bank back overseas,  then repeat ad infinitum.  A simple acknowledgement of the Social Security pension letter would be better for all involved.

Edited by mlmcleod
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Read my post replying to Elgius, you will see that the UK government do pay directly to a Thai bank account.

At 77 years on a retirement visa, 550,000 in a Thai bank, plus the pension income, looks a bit gloomy.    11 years ago my old age UK pension was 87 pound sterling a week, and because I lived in Thailand  and not normally residing in the UK the pension was capped.    if I returned to the UK I would receive about 165 pound sterling a week. Here is the problem when increment increases are stopped.   So at 77 years old and in my twilight years the 5 year elite visa sounds expensive, but hassle free.  We cannot take our money with us when we die so I am now considering switching to the 5 year elite.  After 5 years I will be 82   so who the hell needs to worry about trying to keep the deposit in the bank ??  only benefit is when younger you have options to withdraw and take your money back to your homeland. In your latter years why worry.

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The poster above claimed that it was not possible to have pensions paid into a Thai bank account. He is wrong.

He also suggested it was difficult to have monthly transfers from a UK bank to a Thai bank account. He was wrong again.

I was correcting him on both counts.

So just what is your point regarding TransferWise Johnjohn?

Actually you are wrong yourself. My own UK bank will not allow an automatic monthly transfer to a Thai bank.  Also one of my three pension providers will only pay my pension into a UK bank.  So I agree please post factually correct information.

5 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I have had 3 pensions paid directly into my Thai bank for a while. 2 are sent in Sterling and converted here, the other is my gov' pension and because the gov is sending a lot of pensions overseas every day the exchange rate is not that bad.

I am not charged fees on any of them.

• Like 1

The problem is that many expats didn't have the required income but claimed they did, and there was no means for the Immigration Department to check it. The embassies refused to verify it. The American embassy simply accepted the applicant's affidavit without checking his income. Some years back I produced a letter from my investment broker to the UK embassy and they issued the necessary letter. But I could have easily photoshopped a letter from any broker. So don't blame Imigration.  Blame the embassies for being too lazy to verify people's income.

• Like 1

Not for my Kasikorn it does not show international transfer !  The funds I received into it on the 2nd January , using Transferwise from the UK, still listed the transfer code as "Dummy Branch".  So hence unsure if Kasikorn could provide a statement confirming a deposit via an international transfer ?

Strange. Maybe (hopefully!!) it's a change that's in the process of being rolled out. Will check again at the end of this and next month, see if the new description continues to be used.

Posted using Tapatalk