Overhanging Cables, Wires, and Power lines gone between Asok and Phlon Chit

neupaneaj

Not sure if you have noticed or care but it was rather relief to eye sore - all the over hanging wires, cables,and power lines have disappeared for good between Phloen Chit and Asok on Sukhumvit Road - part of Bangkok Metros effort to beautify the city for what it’s worth. Even though they ignored to put a new surface after they kicked up these sidewalks to bury the cable and are now more uneven and tricky to negotiate specially at night half drunk trying to get to BTS but hey who is complaining haha ...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

23 hours ago, neupaneaj said:

Even though they ignored to put a new surface after they kicked up these sidewalks to bury the cable and are now more uneven and tricky to negotiate.....

Imagine if you were wheelchair bound - untenable for those folk! 

Meanwhile, any progress with Pattaya?  Here's one sad update I can provide.  Recently I moved to Soi 16 in Wong Amat down by the beach and along the soi my partner and I noticed one large residence that had managed to bury the cable wires in front of the estate.  The electrical wires were still there but all the cable wires had been buried--only to come up again out of the ground on either side of the estate.

We marveled that the owner, likely very wealthy, had been able to get all the cable wires buried, even if only right in front of his property.  Well, here's the sad part. Recently when we drove down the soi we noticed that 2 new cable wires had been strung across the guy's property.  So, even if you manage to bury the current wires, what happens with new ones?

2 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Imagine if you were wheelchair bound - untenable for those folk! 

I have a friend who has travelled the world in a wheelchair, and he told me that Bangkok is by far the worst place he has been for the disabled. No VIPs are disabled so they don't care, and the Thai superstition anyway is that you must have done something bad in a previous life and so deserve to be disabled.

The city undergrounded the cables on this section of Sukhumvit Road some months ago, and it really does look much better compared to the tangled overhead spaghetti festival that used to exist before.

Now in the past couple weeks, they've been tearing up the walkways along the even sois side of the road between Nana and Ploenchit BTS stations and it looks like they're installing new curbs and storm drains along the edge of the road.

I don't think they're going to leave the walkways there in their current mangled condition. But when and how they're going to restore those back to any semblance of normalcy is anyone's guess.

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I have a friend who has travelled the world in a wheelchair, and he told me that Bangkok is by far the worst place he has been for the disabled. No VIPs are disabled so they don't care, and the Thai superstition anyway is that you must have done something bad in a previous life and so deserve to be disabled.

I live around sukhumvit and have seen wheelchair bound folks have to wheel themselves on the main road to get around.

On 1/6/2019 at 10:25 AM, neupaneaj said:

Even though they ignored to put a new surface after they kicked up these sidewalks

The Thai don't understand how to make pavement on sidewalks....i've seen them putting the tiles on the loose yellow sand without compacting it first...that won't work...

Also weed will grow if they don't use concrete but if it's a busy sidewalk there won't be any weed i guess.

2 hours ago, Youlike said:

The Thai don't understand how to make pavement on sidewalks....i've seen them putting the tiles on the loose yellow sand without compacting it first...that won't work...

I honestly don't know/can't decide if they really know or don't know.

--Part of me says they're just to lazy or cheap or ignorant to do it the correct way.

--Antother part of me says the contractors are smart enough to know that given the cheap/poor way they're doing the work, they're probably going to get another contract award from the BMA in a year or 2 to come back and re-do the crappy job they did the last time, and rinse and repeat ad infinitum....

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The city undergrounded the cables on this section of Sukhumvit Road some months ago, and it really does look much better compared to the tangled overhead spaghetti festival that used to exist before.

Now in the past couple weeks, they've been tearing up the walkways along the even sois side of the road between Nana and Ploenchit BTS stations and it looks like they're installing new curbs and storm drains along the edge of the road.

I don't think they're going to leave the walkways there in their current mangled condition. But when and how they're going to restore those back to any semblance of normalcy is anyone's guess.

Done the exact same thing at BTS Thonglor, has taken about 2 months to do about  200 yards. Still got loads of rubbish to take away, 

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:05 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The sidewalks will be restored to their former ugly self, as if nothing changed. This is the result of hiring cheap contractors with foreign unskilled labor, and no quality standards or accountability. Contractors pocket whatever they can save by cutting corners. The tile sidewalk on soi 6 is a good example. It could have been beautifully done.

Archived