Chinatown

CeeGee

Talking to a friend(Thai) and I suggested we have a night out in Chinatown and they said it is dead there in the night now,as a lot of the stalls etc have been cleared from the street and there is no "atmosphere" anymore.

Anyone any comments on the validity of the comments?

thanks

Sad but true.

A friend told me it was the same in other places. He had a favorite soi over at Ramkamheng that came to life at night with many street stalls. All gone now.

The irony with Chinatown is that a lot of people supported the Bangkok shutdown campaign and were happy about the coup.

Moral......Be careful what you wish for.

16 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

Yep, they stomped the soul out of Lower Suk too. But I see the occasional green shot of an alco stall in a discreet corner with a few plastic chairs and a sound system.

Forlorn hope but it might change after the elections.

And Sukhumvit is so much the better for it. 

I'd love to know how much the regular moaners about the vendors used to spend at the over-priced stalls that almost totally blocked the pavements that they miss so much.  Perhaps they didn't spend anything there but just enjoyed helping to obstruct the pavements by getting pissed with the rats in the early hours.

Groups of men sit in the MacDonalds Old Siam all days long...they also bring food/fruit/drinks from outside to eat inside with their friends.

There are some new restaurants at the river, they built a promenade close to the flower market. You can hang around there...

But if you want to sit on a real outdoor terrace the kao sarn road is the place to be...

10 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I'd love to know how much the regular moaners about the vendors used to spend at the over-priced stalls that almost totally blocked the pavements that they miss so much. 

I am talking late night when there's nothing much to block other than staggering revelers looking for a reason to stay up just a bit more. People from every corner of the globe congregated on plastic chairs, sipping beers, sharing stories and having a good time getting in no one's way 2-5am. All benign fun till some idiot-brained general decided he liked Singapore better.  

Over-priced? Come on, I can afford a few 100b beers the occasional night and so can you.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Lots of ugly old hookers, drug dealers and pretend cheap charley street stalls (which are often expensive) - who will miss them?

Just ignore the old hookers but keep an eye out for the young pretty ones. The drug dealers don't bother anyone who isn't looking for them. Again, expensive? You can't be expecting English teacher prices that late in party central.

Happy ???? they are gone! Most were set up before 10 pm. Not 2 am 

Nigerians and lady boy numbers have been drastically reduced since the bars are gone. Nobody misses the drunk tourists staggering around at 6am. 

All good! 

15 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

I am talking late night when there's nothing much to block other than staggering revelers looking for a reason to stay up just a bit more. People from every corner of the globe congregated on plastic chairs, sipping beers, sharing stories and having a good time getting in no one's way 2-5am. All benign fun till some idiot-brained general decided he liked Singapore better.  

Over-priced? Come on, I can afford a few 100b beers the occasional night and so can you.

The vendors along the strip that you are referring to, not the illegal after-hours bars, were always over-priced, I did not say that they were expensive, I said over-priced, neither was I referring to the price of beer!  

On 1/8/2019 at 9:34 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

That's a good point.

On my way to the fresh market somewhere about 6:30am I often saw the leftovers from the night. Not a pretty sight.

Seriously, I have done that many times and leftovers can be the best.

Just beautiful!

Archived