Jump to content
Planned Temporary Forum Outage Friday 18th January from 21:00 Read more... ×
BANGKOK 19 January 2019 07:10

Recommended Posts

It is people like your friend that they are trying to get rid of

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BritTim said:

In some countries, there are officials who just get pleasure from exercising their power over people who must go through them for some service. This, combined with some racism, may apply with a few Thai officials. However, in Thailand, the usual motivation is money. They want to drive you to agents who will provide sweeteners to facilitate applications. In many cases, you could discreetly "tip" the official yourself to avoid the imposed hassles, but westerners rarely know how to do this.

If you want to stay here, be prepared to use the official "bribery channel" known as "visa services".  There are some really good deals out there now. More services than ever before, competing with lower prices. The deck is stacked against you unless you play ball the Thai way. It's tricky now, but it CAN be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BritTim said:

In some countries, there are officials who just get pleasure from exercising their power over people who must go through them for some service. This, combined with some racism, may apply with a few Thai officials. However, in Thailand, the usual motivation is money. They want to drive you to agents who will provide sweeteners to facilitate applications. In many cases, you could discreetly "tip" the official yourself to avoid the imposed hassles, but westerners rarely know how to do this.

So is it a secret your gonna keep to yourself ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 1:15 PM, BritTim said:

In many cases, you could discreetly "tip" the official yourself to avoid the imposed hassles, but westerners rarely know how to do this.

I myself wouldn't have the guts to; even if I knew how to do it, I wouldn't know the when...as in "when would the tip actually be accepted vs. when would they threaten to throw you in jail or deport you for trying."

 

The reasons you gave--desire for money, personal hunger for power/domination/face, and xenophobia--are things I just consider the baseline for Thailand, so I still wonder what else could account for some offices just being unusually horrible.

 

The only other things I can brainstorm are: apparent lack of IO accountability to a central Immigration authority and desire of some officers (offices as well?) to climb the ladder by catching one of the "bad guys"...or at least the fear of being held responsible if they let someone through who turns out later to be an (especially high profile) "bad guy."

 

Any additional thoughts from anybody?  I'll shut up after this, I promise... 😉

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 11:28 AM, unamazedloso said:

i have never done an extension and just go home for a family trip every year for a new visa. I hav eno interest in bothering to travel around with worry. I find this simple. A little exp but book tickets early and so on makes it pretty cheap and simple...

How do you get new 90 day stamps on the visa, border runs I take it? I did this for a year by making cheap trips to SIN, but it got a tad boring in the end, so I went for an extension based on retirement.  I may now re evaluate that approach in the light of the new requirements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

How do you get new 90 day stamps on the visa, border runs I take it? I did this for a year by making cheap trips to SIN, but it got a tad boring in the end, so I went for an extension based on retirement.  I may now re evaluate that approach in the light of the new requirements. 

Getting a Non-Imm-O multiple became a lot more difficult in the interim so that option was taken away from me.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have a non-imm O extension of stay (multiple re-entry) based on marriage, obtained at Chaengwattana last year. We also have a son and my name is on the Thai birth certificate as his father. We have all the legally required documents.

 

I've been working in Thailand for a number of years and, during that time, have had a variety of work sponsored non-imm extensions of stays, WP's etc., all legal and above board. I've never done a border run.

 

My current extension is due to expire on 11 February 2019. After retiring last year, unfortunately, it looks likes I'm not going to make the financial requirements this time round and am not prepared to use an agent to fix this for me. I have an pension income from the UK, but it's been less than 40K a month for a long time, and I don't have 400K in my Thai bank account. 

 

In short, should I/can I go with my family to Savannakhet, Laos just before my current extension expires and apply for a 90 day single entry based on marriage or parenthood, and without having to verify my financial status? Once back in Thailand, do I then continue to apply for 60 day extensions to visit (stay with) my family? If so, does that mean I then keep renewing the 60 day extension for a fixed period of time, say one year?

 

Long term, once my financial situation settles down, I plan to switch "back" to a one year extension of stay, based on marriage or parenthood, from within Thailand.

 

My apologies if my request seems a repeat of all you have dealt with before on here, but I know you guys have spent a lot of time answering questions like this, so your time and expertise are really appreciated.

 

If I've missed out a information, please don't hesitate to ask.

 

Thank you, and regards.

Edited by arthurboy
Added sentence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You are only allowed 1 60 extension on each or any 90 day entry on your O 90 day visa.

You need a one year multi O and by getting a 90 day entry a couple of days before the enter by date you have 15 months then 60 day extension to make almost 17 months.

You can't get back to back 60's to stay all year.

Edited by overherebc
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, arthurboy said:

In short, should I/can I go with my family to Savannakhet, Laos just before my current extension expires and apply for a 90 day single entry based on marriage or parenthood, and without having to verify my financial status? Once back in Thailand, do I then continue to apply for 60 day extensions to visit (stay with) my family? If so, does that mean I then keep renewing the 60 day extension for a fixed period of time, say one year?

Your family does not have to be with you apply for a non-o visa based upon marriage. Best to apply for a multiple entry non-o visa that will allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year. The fee is 5000 baht. You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy, copy of your wife's house book registry and ID card signed by her. No financial proof is required.

Then if you get your financial proof sorted out for a one year extension you could apply for it during the last 30 day of any of the 90 day entries from the visa.

You could apply for the 60 day extension of your current extension and then go out for the non-o visa.

You can only apply for one 60 day extension per entry to the country.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thank you for your replies, overherebc and ubonjoe

 

I didn't realise I could get a 60 day extension on my current extension, and therefore not have to leave Thailand (for now). Again, sorry to be a pain, but what are the document requirements and procedure for this? Would they want proof of financial status for a 60 day extension?

 

I'm currently in BKK so would visit IMM at Chaengwattana.

 

Thank you.

 

 

Edited by arthurboy
edited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is all of this discussion relevant only to Married-to-Thai Non-O visa?  Can a Non-O w/o proof of funds be obtained at these places (or anywhere) for non-married?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, arthurboy said:

Thank you for your replies, overherebc and ubonjoe

 

I didn't realise I could get a 60 day extension on my current extension, and therefore not have to leave Thailand (for now). Again, sorry to be a pain, but what are the document requirements and procedure for this? Would they want proof of financial status for a 60 day extension?

 

I'm currently in BKK so would visit IMM at Chaengwattana.

 

Thank you.

 

 

60 day ext. requirements are the application form, 1 photo, copy of passport and current visa/stamp, wifes govt id, wifes tabien baan, marriage certificate, if you are renting a house you will need the contract and id/tabien baan of the house owner. and the fee is 1900thb. no proof of finances to be shown and you just apply for it at your local immigration office. and your wife needs to be with you when you go.

Edited by homemade514
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Lee65 said:

Is all of this discussion relevant only to Married-to-Thai Non-O visa?  Can a Non-O w/o proof of funds be obtained at these places (or anywhere) for non-married?

the only places 'close' to thailand that will give the non-o M based on marriage w/o proof of funds are savannakhet laos and HCMC vietnam. savannakhet is 5000thb for the visa and HCMC is $200 USD (dollars only, no thai baht allowed) - so HCMC is slightly more expensive but could be easier to get to depending on where you are located. i am going there next week for my non-o M

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

homemade514 Thank you for your kind advice and solid information. Needless to say, I now have some breathing space to get things in order. 

 

For general information for anyone in this situation, https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_24 lays out the documentation required to get an extension, but omits the need for the following: 1) photos 2) "renting a house/ apartment you will need the contract and 3) id/tabien baan of the house/ apartment owner."

 

Based on advice from people here, it's undoubtedly a good idea to take these documents as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, homemade514 said:

the only places 'close' to thailand that will give the non-o M based on marriage w/o proof of funds are savannakhet laos and HCMC vietnam. savannakhet is 5000thb for the visa and HCMC is $200 USD (dollars only, no thai baht allowed) - so HCMC is slightly more expensive but could be easier to get to depending on where you are located. i am going there next week for my non-o M

It's the same price for most Euro citizens as Vietnam gives free visa waiver on entry, while Laos want $30 for a VISA.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sponsors
×