Britons would now vote to stay in EU, want second referendum: poll

webfact

Britons would now vote to stay in EU, want second referendum: poll

2019-01-06T101018Z_1_LYNXNPEF0508E_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

A pro-EU supporter holds flags outside the Houses of Parliament in Westminster London, Britain, December 19, 2018. REUTERS/Hannah McKay/Files

LONDON (Reuters) - More Britons want to remain a member of the European Union than leave, according to a survey published on Sunday which also showed voters want to make the final decision themselves.

Britain is due leave the EU on March 29, but Prime Minister Theresa May is struggling to get her exit deal approved by parliament, opening up huge uncertainty over whether a deal is possible, or even whether the country will leave at all.

The survey by polling firm YouGov showed that if a referendum were held immediately, 46 percent would vote to remain, 39 percent would vote to leave, and the rest either did not know, would not vote, or refused to answer the question.

When the undecided and those who refused to answer were removed from the sample, the split was 54-46 in favour of remaining.

That is broadly in line with other polls in recent months which show a deeply divided electorate, in which opinion has swung towards remaining in the EU. The 2016 referendum voted 52 to 48 percent in favour of leaving.

The poll of more than 25,000 voters was commissioned by the People's Vote campaign, which is spearheading an increasingly vocal push for a second referendum on Brexit.

On Sunday, May reiterated her opposition to holding a second referendum, saying it would be divisive and disrespectful to those who voted to leave in the initial vote, and also highlighted a lack of time available to hold a new referendum.

But, the survey showed 41 percent thought the final decision about Brexit should be made by a new public vote versus 36 percent who believe it should be up to parliament. Removing those who are undecided, the split was 53 percent in favour of another referendum and 47 percent against.

Lawmakers are due to vote on whether to accept May's exit deal in the week beginning Jan. 14.

(Reporting by William James; Editing by Alison Williams)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-07

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The poll of more than 25,000 voters was commissioned by the People's Vote campaign, which is spearheading an increasingly vocal push for a second referendum on Brexit."

I may be wrong but most polls commissioned by a non impartial source seem to get the result they require to meet their agenda.

14 minutes ago, MARK74 said:

"The poll of more than 25,000 voters was commissioned by the People's Vote campaign, which is spearheading an increasingly vocal push for a second referendum on Brexit."

I may be wrong but most polls commissioned by a non impartial source seem to get the result they require to meet their agenda.

You may be wrong and you are.

For the Brits who really want to stay in the EU I wish they will get what they want. I am sure the UK is a lot better off within the EU.

But for all the Brexiters and especially the hard Brexiters I hope they crash and burn. You really deserve what you will get. Just yesterday I read an articles that many Tories want Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg or David Davis as their PM. How deluded must these voters be to even dream about that those incompetent morons will be able to make things better? They talk a lot about unicorns. And it seems lots of people still believe them. Unbelievable - except it really happens.

I am sure lots of people in the EU dream about how wonderful life could be without the UK.

The polls that matter are those telling Labour that if they don’t back a referendum on on the deal (including an option Remain), they’ll be annihilated at the election Corbyn is so eager for.

It’s simple arrhythmic.

No political party is representing the millions who voted Remain.

Polls are consistently returning evidence that those millions are now more than half the voting electorate.

But don’t put it past Corbyn to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

You can't have a second vote , that is not democratic. 

It would set a very expensive and trouble making precedent. 

The vote was put to the people and the people voted , that is the end of it.

Otherwise you will end up with a " Red shirt / Yellow shirt scenario" .

General election , Tories won ,  we want another vote. Labour won , we want another vote.

As I recall all the indicators in the lead up to the referendum were pointing strongly to remaining in the EU. So much so that the then PM did not allow preparations for a Brexit result.

Why would the indicators have it right this time?

40 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

For the Brits who really want to stay in the EU I wish they will get what they want. I am sure the UK is a lot better off within the EU.

But for all the Brexiters and especially the hard Brexiters I hope they crash and burn. You really deserve what you will get. Just yesterday I read an articles that many Tories want Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg or David Davis as their PM. How deluded must these voters be to even dream about that those incompetent morons will be able to make things better? They talk a lot about unicorns. And it seems lots of people still believe them. Unbelievable - except it really happens.

I am sure lots of people in the EU dream about how wonderful life could be without the UK.

You also deserve this man.

38 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But for all the Brexiters and especially the hard Brexiters I hope they crash and burn.

You seem to also want all citizens of the UK to go down with them, instead of backing the democratic decision of the nation you want failure.

I wonder if you are happy with the  negative balance of payments whilst in the EU, the resultant erosion of the £, the recessions the UK has suffered, the austerity programme whilst bound by the EU rules, the economic fudging to try to get round the EU rules.

I was shocked that the vote was for Brexit but I deplore those who are trying to wreck the country because they think they know best and, like Mystic Meg, can tell the future.

42 minutes ago, alant said:

As I recall all the indicators in the lead up to the referendum were pointing strongly to remaining in the EU. So much so that the then PM did not allow preparations for a Brexit result.

Why would the indicators have it right this time?

there was a vote already, it must be respected

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The polls that matter are those telling Labour that if they don’t back a referendum on on the deal (including an option Remain), they’ll be annihilated at the election Corbyn is so eager for.

It’s simple arrhythmic.

No political party is representing the millions who voted Remain.

Polls are consistently returning evidence that those millions are now more than half the voting electorate.

But don’t put it past Corbyn to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

A new you gov poll puts him well down on May ,even with all her problems ,

3 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

A new you gov poll puts him well down on May ,even with all her problems ,

Unbelievable, isn't it? You would think a can of dog food would be polling better than May & Co right now... 

The poll of more than 25,000 voters was commissioned by the People's Vote campaign, which is spearheading an increasingly vocal push for a second referendum on Brexit.

Therefore to be taken with a pinch of salt, especially a poll. Recently we’ve seen so many of them being wrong.
Remainers publications are simply not believable.
Anything published by this government is also highly suspect and not believable. Theresa May and her cabal of collaborators constantly lie to the British public. Every word from Corbyn and his Marxist is a lie.
Anything published by the Remainer biased MSM is never believable.
Everything published by the EU is totally unbelievable.

No Deal is the best and only way to exit this mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Hey, don't mention Soros... 

You'll be accused of being anti-something or other.

Soros makes a really good case. Yes Soros is often irrationally demonized by some very sick people. Better to consider his reasoning.

Soros-backed campaign to push for new Brexit vote within a year

Billionaire says holding fresh referendum soon could save UK from ‘immense damage’

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/may/29/george-soros-drastic-action-needed-for-eurozone-to-survive

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The EU is desperate to keep the UK as the EU needs the UK's money - hence the problems those nasty vindictive little maggots like Junkers keep throwing up  :bah:

2 hours ago, NE1 said:

General election , Tories won ,  we want another vote. Labour won , we want another vote.

Everybody is sick of brexit, a second poll may even be a landslide for remain because of that, nobody would have the will or the energy for a third poll. Even if the UK leaves we would be back in again after 10 years.

2 hours ago, NE1 said:

It may be an issue of the remainers continuing to bang on and finally convincing a majority that they voted wrong last time. Isn't that what a democracy is supposed to do, be flexible to changing conditions so voters can make a more informed decision? Otherwise, policies could never change.

I am with the remainers on this. Always have been.

8 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Therefore to be taken with a pinch of salt, especially a poll. Recently we’ve seen so many of them being wrong.
Remainers publications are simply not believable.
Anything published by this government is also highly suspect and not believable. Theresa May and her cabal of collaborators constantly lie to the British public. Every word from Corbyn and his Marxist is a lie.
Anything published by the Remainer biased MSM is never believable.
Everything published by the EU is totally unbelievable.

No Deal is the best and only way to exit this mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

For the avoidance of doubt, would you care to advise us as to who you consider to be a trustworthy source?

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The poll may be biased. So what? What are Brexiters afraid of then? If you really think Brexit would win again why not support the new referendum? I know why. You know it would lose.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

To be honest I think it would result in another stalemate.

2 hours ago, MARK74 said:

An agenda well worth meeting for the sake of the country's future.

Especially the under 30's who voted overwhelmingly in favour of Remain because they were born Europeans.

Old white voters were always the problem ,leaving the mess that will ensue to the younger generation who have much more at stake.

Voting preferences have changed now that more people now understand that the Utopia promised by the Brexiteers will not happen .

Archived