Trump holds firm on border wall, offers steel option as compromise

webfact

On 1/6/2019 at 5:06 PM, Boon Mee said:

Trump will be getting his Wall whether it concrete or steel spikes. Majority of the US is sick and tired of the crime the illegal aliens are inflicting on the country. 

Yes, I hope so but the vicious media and TDS possessed are making it so unpleasant.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

My opinion is you're promoting an irrelevant distraction that has nothing to do with the topic. If you don't approve of some members style of posting may I suggest just putting them on ignore instead of continuing with the tedious preaching act.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My preaching is far from tedious, perhaps it just hits a bit too close to home for some people.  But back to the topic at hand;

Of course building a wall/fence/barrier won't solve the problem overnight, nor will it solve other issues such as drug smuggling and terrorism. If there is a financial argument to be made that the money for a wall could be better spent on other enforcement measures, I have yet to hear it.  If the argument is that the situation as stands is acceptable, that is why Trump wants a wall.

My preaching is far from tedious, perhaps it just hits a bit too close to home for some people.  But back to the topic at hand;

Of course building a wall/fence/barrier won't solve the problem overnight, nor will it solve other issues such as drug smuggling and terrorism. If there is a financial argument to be made that the money for a wall could be better spent on other enforcement measures, I have yet to hear it.  If the argument is that the situation as stands is acceptable, that is why Trump wants a wall.

"trump" wants a wall to feed his xenophobic base and also to feed his diseased narcissistic ego a la great wall of "trump." It's not about best solutions for him.

45 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Trump on prison reform;

“We’re all better off when former inmates can re-enter society as law-abiding, productive citizens. Americans from across the political spectrum can unite around prison reform legislation that will reduce crime while giving our fellow citizens a chance at redemption.”

Good enough example?

Can we move on from the innumerable variations of "orange man bad" now? They are repetitive, and worse, unfunny. At least come up with some original material, people!

If he were to act his words, yes, honesty.

Now: no, he is a lying, cheating sob.

We know that Trump lies constantly, yet his supporters always believe him.  He's already suggested that wall construction has begun and Mexico is paying for it (through that new NAFTA agreement).

So the solution is simple:  Trump signs the budget bills, the government reopens, and Trump claims that money has been allocated for the wall.  Who cares if it has not.  His supporters are happy, the Dems are happy, and Trump has another win.  Problem solved!

43 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Majority of Americans do not want the "trump" wall and face reality it will never happen.

Actually, there already IS a wall in place in many areas. As you probably saw on the news last month, there is a wall in the Tijuana area that was very effective in keeping people out of the country- the "migrant caravan" people who refused asylum in Mexico in order to try and get into the US illegally.  Funded, by the way, by a Democrat controlled congress in 2006.

The current wall is close to 1000 km in total. The entire border is just over 3000 km, so it isn't a lot of work to fill in the necessary gaps and also use natural terrain features to block access. 

Actually, there already IS a wall in place in many areas. As you probably saw on the news last month, there is a wall in the Tijuana area that was very effective in keeping people out of the country- the "migrant caravan" people who refused asylum in Mexico in order to try and get into the US illegally.  Funded, by the way, by a Democrat controlled congress in 2006.

The current wall is close to 1000 km in total. The entire border is just over 3000 km, so it isn't a lot of work to fill in the necessary gaps and also use natural terrain features to block access. 
You think we're morons? Of course there are existing walls and fences. Not news except to the extremely uninformed. They are a part of border security and have been for decades. The issue is the great wall of "trump" and again that is never going to happen. He couldn't get it when he controlled the entire government and he certainly can't get it now that he doesn't. Deal with that because that's a fact.

You think we're morons? Of course there are existing walls and fences. Not news except to the extremely uninformed. They are a part of border security and have been for decades. The issue is the great wall of "trump" and again that is never going to happen. He couldn't get it when he controlled the entire government and he certainly can't get it now that he doesn't. Deal with that because that's a fact.

2 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Nonsense. First it isn't a wall. It's mostly fencing. Stop trying to unilaterally change the English language. In miles its about 400 miles after you exclude both vehicle barrier fencing, which doesn't stop people on foot, and secondary fencing which is fencing located behind fencing on the border. So a little bit over 20 percent of the border has some kind of barrier. And it's mostly not a wall.  And despite Trump's occasional waffles, overwhelmingly he has called for a wall along the entire southern border

18 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Nonsense. First it isn't a wall. It's mostly fencing. Stop trying to unilaterally change the English language. In miles its about 400 miles after you exclude both vehicle barrier fencing, which doesn't stop people on foot, and secondary fencing which is fencing located behind fencing on the border. So a little bit over 20 percent of the border has some kind of barrier. And it's mostly not a wall.  And despite Trump's occasional waffles, overwhelmingly he has called for a wall along the entire southern border

Fence, wall, barrier, all semantics. Fact is that it seems to work in places where it is built. The Border Patrol overwhelmingly supports it, and perhaps they are the ones who know best what works and what doesn't. Get past Trump's hyperbole and it is a reasonable idea.

3 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

It seems you would benefit from looking at facts. The South border problem is a declining problem, and much more illegals enter initially with a valid visa (and then overstay).

- illegal immigration using the southern border has been regularly decreasing for several years,

- "65 percent of net arrivals — those joining the undocumented population — from 2008 to 2015 were visa overstays."

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/06/illegal-immigration-statistics/

DonaId J. Trump (@realDenaldTrump)

1/7/19, 11:41 PM

I was just told that most of the illegals come to our Country through airports & overstay there visas. The BOARDER WALL will total solve this problem! People will see what a morally bankrupt country we are (gassing asylum seekers & other things) & decide not to come! NICE! #MAGA

Let's face it: he NEEDS the wall!

All other "promises", he delivered on, are abstract and easy to sell to the unwashed, because most of them simply don't get it and will not do the work and follow up!

"He said, he will fight for 'Murican products...and he did, with the tariffs on Chinese products and foreign cars!" - You dunces don't get, that isolationist policies are NOT GOOD for 'Murica!

"He said, he will create jobs! Look...12.000 new jobs!"- Yes...taking fries out of the oil at Mc Donalds for $300 a month! Hardly the same as jobs lost to automatization, that he sure can't stop!

"He said, he get a deal with Northkorea! See...Un said, he will do...it!" But WHAT will he do? What is in that deal? ...if there even is any!

All this stuff is actually easy to digest with just reading the headlines and no further investigation!

But THE WALL is a REAL THING, you can not hide behind abstract numbers!

It can be seen, touched...and if he can't deliver on that one, maybe some of his sheep- like base will wake up and smell the coffee!

And THAT is what he and the whole party are afraid off and have to be afraid off!

If he does not deliver on this- his first and most prominent promise- he shouldn't be even dreaming of a second term! 

He actually doesn't need a literal new wall.

Good enough will be saying he did all he could but the evil democrats blocked him and he'll also (as he has done many times before) claim credit for the large section of barriers that have already existed for decades. His base buys any crapoloa he says anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Rugon said:

Thank God he is sticking to his word. Immigration has to be stopped or we will end up like France or the UK. 

Not the same situation.

He is NOT sticking to his word.

Have you been paying attention?

He controlled the entire government for two years and didn't get his great ego wall of "trump" started and now he has lost the house largely because the public rejected his extremist demagoguing on the wall.

The USA public has never majority supported his ego wall and still doesn't. 

The speech changes nothing.

45 minutes ago, Rugon said:

Thank God he is sticking to his word. Immigration has to be stopped or we will end up like France or the UK. 

"Uuuuuuh...me so afraid of brown people..."

4 hours ago, Rugon said:

Actually 65% of recent undocumented immigrants entered thr US legally and then overstayed after their visa expired. 

Sure, keep worrying over the Wall, guys. Never mind what Trump is doing with his trade policy and forcing the Fed away from QT interest rate hikes, all of which are causing the dollar to tumble. If you had a $2000 US pension last month, you received 66,000 baht and could meet the new income requirement to extend your retirement visa. Thanks to Trump's work over the past month that $2000 now only equals 64,000 baht and you no longer qualify for a retirement visa via the monthly income method. Thank you, Donald J. Trump

On 1/8/2019 at 12:55 PM, Hanaguma said:

If you have yet to hear an argument that the money for a wall could be better spent on other enforcement measures, that's because you must be wearing blinders. I googled using "how to improve security on the southern border" and even the extremely right wing Heritage Foundation offered plenty of ways to improve security that had nothing to do with a wall.

https://www.heritage.org/homeland-security/report/15-steps-better-border-security-reducing-americas-southern-exposure

And there's something else the Trump administration could do: support family planning programs in Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala. As Mexico's fertility rate has dropped dramatically, so have the number of Mexican illegal immigrants. There's actually been a net decrease of illegal Mexicans in the USA.  The Mexican economy can now absorb new workers. So, of course the Trump administration is doing its best to promote family planning in those 3 nations south of Mexico? Makes sense, right? . Wrong. The Trump administration is actually slashing support for such programs. You know, because...

Archived